Take Back the old Irish Houses of Parliament?

Simon.D

As BOI is completely indebted to the state with our recent intervention, should the state force the return of the Irish Houses of Parliament into national ownership... Would make a fine Museum me thinks!

As we probably will end up nationalising the bank I think the future of this building should most definately be an open and public one..

markjbloggs

That is one of the best ideas I've heard in a long time.

As BOI is completely indebted to the state with our recent intervention, should the state force the return of the Irish Houses of Parliament into national ownership... Would make a fine Museum me thinks!

As we probably will end up nationalising the bank I think the future of this building should most definately be an open and public one..

Chrisco

Send it in to Your Country Your Call!

I too think it is a great idea. It should be gifted to the nation by BofI as a gesture of gratitude for the nation's munificence and patience towards them.

NeilW

Send it in to Your Country Your Call!

I too think it is a great idea. It should be gifted to the nation by BofI as a gesture of gratitude for the nation's munificence and patience towards them.
Well, give them an equivalent building somewhere not too bad. And I mean equivalent in terms of usage not in terms of value. It's not as if the Bank could ever realise the full value of the property / location anyway so the suggestion could actually have real merit. Minority shareholders might be upset though I think objections could be satisfied.

markjbloggs

I was thinking more along the lines of confiscation, if for nothing else, a symbolic gesture on the part of the state to redress the catastrophe these guys have unleashed on us with their lending practices. As for minority shareholder objections, that may not be a problem for too much longer, todays' action notwithstanding.

Well, give them an equivalent building somewhere not too bad. And I mean equivalent in terms of usage not in terms of value. It's not as if the Bank could ever realise the full value of the property / location anyway so the suggestion could actually have real merit. Minority shareholders might be upset though I think objections could be satisfied.

Outlander

How could such august persons as the "Governor and Court of Directors" slum it in a glass box office building - one has standards!

liamfoley

They are way ahead of you.

The BOI have been planning on vacating the Old Houses of Commons and Lords for years. Plans are actually at an advanced stage, albeit not as advanced as An Post's plans to vacate the GPO. In both cases the question is who will take their place. The Abbey has been touted as being a new tenant for the GPO but a museum has also been mentioned. It seems unlikely that you would have two new museums so close to one another, the National Museum, Kildare St. is only a few mins. away from BOI and of course they are all only a short ride from Collins Barracks. Considering the National Gallery, the Hugh Lane (owned by the city rather than the state), the (currently closed) Natural History Museum and National Library are so close it may be a case of too many cultural institutions too close to one another and sharing two few items of interest. If they are all free entry they must be funded somehow and I do not think the exchequer will be capable of it. And this is from someone who works in the sector (albeit in none of the above institutions).

liamfoley

I was thinking more along the lines of confiscation, if for nothing else, a symbolic gesture on the part of the state to redress the catastrophe these guys have unleashed on us with their lending practices. As for minority shareholder objections, that may not be a problem for too much longer, todays' action notwithstanding.
Pity about the article in the constitution forbidding that ..., no on second thoughts not a pity at all.

NeilW

I dont think there will be an issue coming up for a use with such a building.

Chrisco

The National Archive needs a new home, I understand.

GDPR

We should take this building back. I have thought this for years. It's far more prominent and important a building than any of the other local museums and galleries which are hidden away by comparison.

I dont think there will be an issue coming up for a use with such a building.
I agree. Even Trinity could have it with certain conditions but its' totally wasted as a bank. We own the banks now. We can take it back. No retail bank needs such an extravagant building.

liamfoley

The National Archive needs a new home, I understand.
Not so much a home as space. BOI would be totally unsuitable for their collection. If we had founding documents like those displayed at the National Archives Experience in Washington D.C., i.e. Magna Carta, Declaration of independence, Constitution etc it might be worthwhile but the converted biscuit factory on Bishop Street is fine. Now if they are going to move then they need something like the new PRONI building in Belfast or Kew in London or National Archives 2 at the University of Maryland.

CookieMonster

Museum for what? We already have museums and we don't have the money for another one.

Catalpa

Good idea in theory (and principal) but is it up to scratch internally?

A building like that would require an awful lot of maintenence I would think.

Given its location I think its best function would be as something that is open to the public on a daily basis.

Starbucks?;)

Iarmhi Gael

What a great Idea...........

A building too good for a pi55ed up bank like BoI to be housed. A good will gesture on their behalf would be just the ticket. Give them the Thornton hall site in return

Someone set up a facebook group so we can get the ball rolling.

Last edited:

Iarmhi Gael

Good idea in theory (and principal) but is it up to scratch internally?

A building like that would require an awful lot of maintenence I would think.

Given its location I think its best function would be as something that is open to the public on a daily basis.

Starbucks?;)
You are so right Catalpa... The money it would cost to maintain that and put it right would cost us a few e-voting machine or JoD expense account. Set up a quango and get PWC to do a report on it

Green eyed monster

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies