Taking Down Statues in Ireland

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
If the woke crowd cannot get rid of the statue of the Fascist traitor Sean Russell in Fairview Park, then the Shelbourne Hotel has little to worry about.
Well, the Shelbourne Statues are gone. Fascist traitor Russel isn't sexy enough to gain the attention of the woke. He wasn't trying to oppress one of the protected victim classes. You see, it's not even principled activism; it's fashion-conscious virtue-signaling that seems to have gotten a hold of you. Open your eyes, if you can.

StarryPlough01

^^^ Your post will be taken down and you might get a ban. Don't take the bait. And there is more than one way to skin a cat (and I love cats, btw). Be creative.

StarryPlough01

Well, the Shelbourne Statues are gone. Fascist traitor Russel isn't sexy enough to gain the attention of the woke. He wasn't trying to oppress one of the protected victim classes. You see, it's not even principled activism; it's fashion-conscious virtue-signaling that seems to have gotten a hold of you. Open your eyes, if you can.

Apparently, the workers were able to remove the statues without someone in the street taking a photo and putting it up on Twitter. I think it's the death knell for them - at their original Shelbourne hotel location.

StarryPlough01

... and some iconoclasm is good.

"and some iconoclasm is good"

^^^ If we are being literal with *iconoclasm* - only if the images are worshipped. The word has come to mean much broader things and can apply to politics...

Lumpy IS Mr Iconoclast.

There's a collection of plaster Madonnas and Jesus statues in Co Wexford next Sunday. Wexford residents are bringing them to a central collection point for disposal.

Lumpy Mr Disrupter is making a special trip home to ensure everything goes smoothly. I'm setting up a couple of temporary grottos, so people can take a final photo of their plaster statue, and say a prayer - a tearful goodbye. We'll be celebrating down at the The Wexford Arms Hotel later. Everyone's welcome. C U there.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We could arrange a refugee ship fill of plaster statues and send them to Rome. There could be a tense stand-off with Italian immigration while the lawyers sort out the whole 'right of return' thing.

If there was a refundable deposit on them we'd probably be able to reduce the national debt with the proceeds.

StarryPlough01

Okay BLM people, I have petrol, matches and an angry mob. After all the research on the origin of a statue, are we still offended? If not, we will have to enquire about every other statue until we find a reason to be offended.
We could arrange a refugee ship fill of plaster statues and send them to Rome. There could be a tense stand-off with Italian immigration while the lawyers sort out the whole 'right of return' thing.

If there was a refundable deposit on them we'd probably be able to reduce the national debt with the proceeds.

Brilliant idea about the refundable deposit.

StarryPlough01

I hear you. I wrote this to all the mods @P.IE only recently around all those sensitive legal implications - you get my drift:

STARRY SAID: I would like to emphasise that paedophilia is the "thought" - child abuse is the action. I don't believe in persecuting people for "thought crime."

What you need to do is to take out a free HALF p.ie WEBPAGE advert about YOURSELF hmm…hmm... ostensibly writing about someone else in a suitable thread. Be sure to mention that you attended Trinity - and RANT ON AND ON ABOUT TRINITY (there are no checks) - and shortly afterwards you will be welcomed to the inner sanctum of Moderators. You will be in the lower ranks of their pecking order at first, but still protected. Play the long game and absolute power might be yours. Sweet.

___

I'm listening to that glorious iconic melody from Beethoven's - ' Ode to Joy'. It consoles me about the loss of statues in Ireland.

Did you see the massive blob Queen Victoria statue in Sydney? It really needed the allegorical figures for symmetry, The figures are purported to be in Dublin Castle grounds.

Reactions: edg

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
If we mashed up all the statues we'd probably get a load of hard-scrabble for the new motorway between Belfast and Cork. Might as well make themselves useful.

Also you wouldn't have to pay a bishop to wave the magic stick over the new motorway either. Cars would practically levitate along the Holy Highway to the Tundra.

StarryPlough01

If we mashed up all the statues we'd probably get a load of hard-scrabble for the new motorway between Belfast and Cork. Might as well make themselves useful.

Also you wouldn't have to pay a bishop to wave the magic stick over the new motorway either. Cars would practically levitate along the Holy Highway to the Tundra.

It's a green idea - great. We hold on to these statues because we don't want to just chuck them out. And hands up people, every household has been bequeathed one.

edg

Edg,

What historians (plural)? We only have Kyle Leyden's point of view. He thinks "the lavish draping and jewellery of the Shelbourne statue clearly demonstrate it is not, nor was it ever intended to be read as a slave." But I (Starry) think the hotel management was informed the statues were idealised slaves, that is, the slave girls' jewellery romanticised slavery, making it appear innocuous.

I've read Hugh Linehan's rehash of previous articles, Wiki, etc - nothing new to see here:

Shelbourne statues: Will we ever see them on St Stephen’s Green again?
The fact that the historian published his findings and not even one other historian has questioned it this shows they are in agreement.

Even the catalog where they were purchased doesn't describe them as slaves.

I just hope they are put back before they get sold off!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I wouldn't like to see them homeless or anything, what with the Direct Provision debate and Autumn creeping closer but the last thing we need for the optics is four statues from the Shelbourne on zero hour contracts stuck in a bed-sit somewhere.

Do you think they could be retrained to do Deliveroo jobs?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It would cure a few fellows of the drink if they answered the door to a former Shelbourne statue holding out a FatBoy Pizza Box and a box of BBQ chicken wings. Little scooter ticking over on a stand in the drive behind it...

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Indeed. But she wins just by sitting there talking sh1te. Her manner certainly won't be endearing either her or her cause to anybody at all, although the Immigration Times is probably a big fan.
The "Immigration Times" as you term it, had only one article on the business. The 'Irishman's Diary' supported the retention of the statues.

I don’t get you. Sculptures are of course art. I love statues some of them are very beautiful. The ones outside the Shelbourne were magnificent. Edinburgh is an amazing city. Would be a shame if people started going around pulling down things.
Although these, like many works of decorative art, would be a cheaper version. These are likely to be copies, churned out to order.

Quite like gargoyles as they have some artistic and cultural merit but I'd rather have them in a museum under glass cases, and would have no objection to statuary being moved into museums and galleries. Then people who want to see them can go and see them.
And as I already pointed out , art is best appreciated in it's context. To rip something off the building lessens both the work itself and the building. They were put there for a reason. They are all one work of art, incorporating architecture, sculpture, painting and stained glass. Notre Dame without it's gargoyles? What would Quasimodo think?

a5d79b0a4fc0953b1dbf16c14b0ed718.jpg

Imagine Rheims cathedral without the statues on it's portal.
Reims_cathedral_north_portal.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: edg

joe sod

You can argue for a long time what they were depicted as, what their original job profile was, but what you had there was four African females. They were posed as submissive.
You can deconstruct all art to the infantile and obvious, sure didn't Hitlers lietenant Heydrich do that in Prague. After a tour of the city he was impressed by its "german " architecture even though it is baroque (degenerate in Nazi ideology). At the end of the day he went to the opera house as he was a music buff. There were statues of various composers on the roof but Heydrich orders the removal of a statue of Mendelssohn as he was jewish. Comically the SS troops could not tell which statue was Mendelssohn so they looked for the one with the biggest nose and removed it, turns out it was Wagner the famous german composer.
The only reason the statues from the shelbourne were removed was because they were black . What would happen if there happened to be a white statue in between them.

owedtojoy

Whenever I see the expression "virtue-signalling" I know the person using it is writing shyte.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You can deconstruct all art to the infantile and obvious, sure didn't Hitlers lietenant Heydrich do that in Prague. After a tour of the city he was impressed by its "german " architecture even though it is baroque (degenerate in Nazi ideology). At the end of the day he went to the opera house as he was a music buff. There were statues of various composers on the roof but Heydrich orders the removal of a statue of Mendelssohn as he was jewish. Comically the SS troops could not tell which statue was Mendelssohn so they looked for the one with the biggest nose and removed it, turns out it was Wagner the famous german composer.
The only reason the statues from the shelbourne were removed was because they were black . What would happen if there happened to be a white statue in between them.
The dogs in the street would know it.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Dogs have the right idea. They know what statues and plinths are for. Not a doubt in their little doggy minds.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom