Taking Down Statues in Ireland

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if all churches, mosques and synagogues spontaneously fell down tomorrow morning. The world would endure I am sure.

toughbutfair

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if all churches, mosques and synagogues spontaneously fell down tomorrow morning. The world would endure I am sure.
If you were given the authority, would you knock them down ? I’ve been in la sagrada familia in Barcelona so many times and love it. Man’s ingenuity is fascinating. Knocking the down to build some ordinary homes would be a shame.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I can't honestly say I've ever seen a religious building I'd be prepared to keep. The only concession would be where they could be turned into key-worker apartments within the stout facade.

Became interested in just such a former Anglican church converted to residential use- it looks great and I'd be heavily tempted to buy it and live in it but any religious iconry left would have to go. Stained glass windows with religious imagery taken out and stained glass replacements with flowers or something more interesting to watch dappling the floor on a sunny Saturday would be grand.

But overall religious buildings are divisive and symbols of exceptionalism which only empowers nutters so on the whole I'd say get rid where they can't be repurposed.

1593452716543.png

toughbutfair

I can't honestly say I've ever seen a religious building I'd be prepared to keep. The only concession would be where they could be turned into key-worker apartments within the stout facade.

Became interested in just such a former Anglican church converted to residential use- it looks great and I'd be heavily tempted to buy it and live in it but any religious iconry left would have to go. Stained glass windows with religious imagery taken out and stained glass replacements with flowers or something more interesting to watch dappling the floor on a sunny Saturday would be grand.

But overall religious buildings are divisive and symbols of exceptionalism which only empowers nutters so on the whole I'd say get rid where they can't be repurposed.

View attachment 25889
I’m not trying to be funny or insulting but do you see similarities with your views and the false god statue exploding of the taliban ?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I’m not trying to be funny or insulting but do you see similarities with your views and the false god statue exploding of the taliban ?
Nope. I'd be happy to see them having misread the amount of explosive needed. That way we could have got rid of some idols and some idiots in the one go.

shutuplaura

OK Laird. You said that he'd been working all day in your garden in the sun. I bet it wasn't rainwater from your outside tap. Decent thing to do is to offer some liquid refreshment (mineral water, cup of tea...).
🙄

pedagogus

That is true but the architectural and cultural loss would be extreme. The Guardian recently had a beautiful series of photos of Iran most iconic mosques including ones from Shiraz, Isfaha and Qom. Des my atheism I always visit cathedrals and saller churches when abroad. Venice made a big impression on me in that regard.

making waves

I support the fight against racism but not destroying what earlier civilizations cherished.
With all due respect - I doubt very much the African slaves and their descendants in America cherished the 'civilisation' of capitalist slavery from seventeenth to the middle of the nineteenth century.

Strawberry

With all due respect - I doubt very much the African slaves and their descendants in America cherished the 'civilisation' of capitalist slavery from seventeenth to the middle of the nineteenth century.
I doubt the slaves of ancient Rome cherished the civilization around them either, let's bomb Pompeii and destroy the Colloseum.

making waves

I doubt the slaves of ancient Rome cherished the civilization around them either, let's bomb Pompeii and destroy the Colloseum.
Pompeii was destroyed nearly 2,000 years ago - and who do you think built the Colosseum?

Strawberry

Pompeii was destroyed nearly 2,000 years ago - and who do you think built the Colosseum?
I visited Pompeii last year and it was very much still standing. Slaves built the Colosseum because they were forced to. It's a monument to forced labour.

Sweet Darling

Interesting stuff, Starry. On the subject of statues we could certainly do with losing a lot of the post-colonial catholic imagery, and while we are at it prohibit any religious organisation from proselytising by way of symbols in public spaces by way of permanent street furniture etc.

Because those marian statues and plaster replicas of saints are actually symbols of the first and most successful invader of the country. And they are symbolic of a successful invasion of the public mind a long time ago from which the country is only recently shaking itself loose.
May need to look at renaming all the council estate roads named after Padraig Pearce who had little boys running around in Togas up in St Enda's

Sweet Darling

I am one of the few lefts that frequent this board - and if it is not clear to you - I am in favour of ripping down all the idolatry statues. So if you find one of Mao in this country, arrange the time and place and I will happily turn up with my sledgehammer and give you a hand.

The hypocrisy is not recognising what is actually going on globally in the fight against racism and particularly the racist brutality of the police (not just in the USA). Tearing down the statues is tearing down the symbols of racism - if you have a problem with that then I suggest that the issue is your outlook, not that of the protesters.
There is a noodle restaurant in Dublin named Mao's maybe kick in it's windows if you can not find a statue that offends you.

Sweet Darling

Africans captured and sent west were the lucky ones, the ones sent east to the Muslims were castrated.

StarryPlough01

I think it is terrible the way they ripped down all those lovely swastikas at the end of the war in Germany. They were after all part of Germany's cultural heritage. Looked very pretty too I am sure on a spring day in Berlin.

Let the record show...

In an online Moderators'' *feedback* thread, around August 2018, I asked to remove the below offensive Mod Tag . Nothing was done about it by the mods - it's still up on OP #1 - 'Mass unmarked grave in Tuam for 800 babies (Second Thread)' and it's on the Original Thread (OP #1).

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "The Phantom Holocaust". </Mod>

The Tuam thread's OP Andrew49 wrote a measured complaint on the same Mods' Feedback thread, to no avail.

Here's a link to the thread with the Mod Tag ~~~

Post #1 Mod Tag ~
Mass unmarked grave in Tuam for 800 babies (Second Thread)

Coincidentally, a couple of days ago, I used the REPORT button on OP #1 'Mass unmarked grave in Tuam for 800 babies (Second Thread)' in order to report the Mod Tag, as OP Andrew49's measured complaint fell on deaf ears. Another user - The OD - had recently suggested I persist and report the offensive Mod Tag officially.

I (Starry) made case to the Moderators on threads and a couple of days ago using the REPORT button OP #1 ~~~

*I asked specifically on the Mods' Feedback thread:

What is meant by the moderator tag indicating the Tuam thread was "merged" with a fictitious Phantom Holocaust thread, which never existed? Is that tag meant to suggest that the Nazi Holocaust never happened, and the same is the case for the mass burials at Tuam?

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "The Phantom Holocaust". </Mod>

*^^^ I've argued that the Mod Tag is eroding women's rights - the Mod Tag demonstrates a lack of empathy and compassion for women and children - victims who have the right to JUSTICE.

*Mod Tag is also an insult to the 1000s of readers who value the content of industrial school survivor Andrew49's Mass unmarked grave in Tuam for 800 babies thread.

*Was there such a thread titled 'The Phantom Holocaust,' or is it fictitious - equating Tuam atrocity to a fake holocaust?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Just checked there Starry and can see no sign of a merging or replacement of the 'Mass Grave' thread with a 'Phantom Hoax' subject line replacing the thread. Has this been reversed?

I'd be really pissed off and surprised if one of the moderators was unilaterally allowed to make that false equivalence of the discovery of a mass grave with a subject line that suggests it is a 'hoax'.

Whoever tagged that thread on Tuam with 'phantom hoax' is not acting as a moderator but is trying to suggest that the 'hoax' theory is somehow valid when it clearly isn't.

There is only one poster I know of who routinely calls 'hoax' on anything to do with the discoveries at Tuam and he is well known for being unable to tell right from wrong because of his dependency on the status of his church. But I'd be fairly amazed if one or more moderators had been involved in tagging some issue as a 'hoax' based on nothing but a fringe lunatic conspiracy theory pushed by the psychotically religiously dependent.

StarryPlough01

May need to look at renaming all the council estate roads named after Padraig Pearce who had little boys running around in Togas up in St Enda's

Those were pageants where the boys dressed up as ancient Celtic mythological heroes, such as, Cu chulainn. Pearse was into the arts - drama.

As far as I know, we don't have any evidence (or heard victims' allegations) that Pearse acted out any pederast fantasies - unlike Archbishop of Dublin & Primate of Ireland JC McQuaid where there is testimony from victims. For example, there were stories circulating about George Pell for 3 decades (e.g., *allegation* about Pell standing naked exposing himself in a public Ballarat swimming pool changing room - facing young boys - Pell was sighted stark naked there by an adult witness - local business man Les Tyac - Tyack took Pell to one side and told him to never return or he would call the police). Other boys have consistently said the same as Tyack over many years.

Cu Chulainn

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom