• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Taking on the corporate giant

GDPR

Pat McDonagh, owner of the Supermac's fast food brand has applied for a trademark to expand into Europe. Last time out, McDonalds successfully appealed to the EU Commission as 'there would be confusion for the public between the two brands and products'. Pat has lodged a new trademark application to expand into Europe, saying we've learned from the last time and McDonalds objecting again comes as no surprise. The corporate giant successfully harnessed its resources last time to stamp out a potential competitor, will they succeed this time again, are you confused about the difference between Supermacs and McDonalds?

'We will keep fighting' - Round two in international brand war between the snack box and the Big Mac begins - Independent.ie

neiphin

he won a similar case in Australia ?

GDPR

No, same as here, he withdrew with the plan to lodge a fresh trademark application down under, McDonalds objecting there as well. Supermac

The Field Marshal

The quality of McDonalds products has declined .
Indeed the obese horror show one is usually confronted with on entering any of their outlets should be warning enough.

I hope this guy wins his case .

edifice.

Pat McDonagh, owner of the Supermac's fast food brand has applied for a trademark to expand into Europe. Last time out, McDonalds successfully appealed to the EU Commission as 'there would be confusion for the public between the two brands and products'. Pat has lodged a new trademark application to expand into Europe, saying we've learned from the last time and McDonalds objecting again comes as no surprise. The corporate giant successfully harnessed its resources last time to stamp out a potential competitor, will they succeed this time again, are you confused about the difference between Supermacs and McDonalds?

'We will keep fighting' - Round two in international brand war between the snack box and the Big Mac begins - Independent.ie
How patronising can you get!

GDPR

Indeed the obese horror show one is usually confronted with on entering any of their outlets should be warning enough.

Not a fan of fast food, maybe once a month will sample the wares of a local provider. The previous ruling as identified by poster edifice do indeed seem patronising, and against the spirit of competition that one would expect that the EU Commission should be promoting on behalf of consumer choice.

Half Nelson

Half Nelson

I used to tell my kids that the big M was actually what an asre would look like after too much fast food from you-know-where. ;)

wexfordman

So you hope that one fast food supplier wins a case against another fast food supplier because it will be a win against obesity?

BACKTOBASICS

Why not use his own name McDonagh as a brand for Europe, although likely registered as a trade name already.

Does the EU Commission not support EU companies?

Last edited:

GDPR

Why not use his own name McDonagh as a brand for Europe, although likely registered as a trade name already.

Does the EU Commission not support EU companies?
He can sell there anytime he likes, just cannot used the trademark until permission obtained. He says they have learned from the last time so has been some changes, but I guess keeping the supermacs name.

Polak

Not to overmuch take McDonald's side, but if you saw a supermarket in Ireland that had a name as close to Lidl as the name Supermacs is to McDonalds in the mind - I use the term loosely - of the average European burger-fondler, would you or would you not at first glance think it was perhaps some offshoot of McDonalds? Say for example Superld. Same colur scheme, much the same product line.

automaticforthepeople

McDonagh has a habit of taking on anyone that gets in his way; punters who make bogus insurance claims, his workers, his franchisees and now some yankee dude who runs around with a painted face telling kids to have a nice day, or is that Barney?

Ex-Supermac's worker awarded

Supermac

Supermac's franchise director ordered to pay wife

All hail Paddy who takes on everyone, but don't give me this corporate giant guff. Supermacs are a corporate giant who are effectively a monopoly on fast food in many Irish towns.

The Field Marshal

So you hope that one fast food supplier wins a case against another fast food supplier because it will be a win against obesity?
Precisely.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies