• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Taking the battle to the Gardaí: what attack vectors should be utilised ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The Gardaí have many fine people...but collectively they are best thought of as a criminal enterprise

Much of this is down to the Government getting to appoint Superintendents and above ... Liam Lawlor and his associates used to issue chilling death threats against honest superintendents who "slipped through" and had the temerity to investigate Liam

Also the Gardaí have at times riddled the Republicans with informants...but too often the traffic has been in the other direction

And this article in today's Irish Times shows that the Irish are now the dominant players in the European drugs scene

This thread is to allow civil society to co-ordinate the takedown of a corrupt enterprise ... the vectors below indicate where they need to be hit, or vectors that require protection and amplification

1) Their media cheerleaders : people such as Conor Lally need to be targeted in all manners legal

2) Public Expenditure and Reform: PER have some gutsy top brass, and they have briefed against the Garda getting anymore money without reform ...they are right...but as cuts to date have unfairly affected morale , and had dangerous impact on operational policing ....some controlled emergency disbursements are needed ...PER needs to parachute in crack bean counting operatives deep behind enemy lines where they can effect payments

3) Pearse Street Carparking : this type of "broken window" problem needs to be extinguished , at the very least, social media should be flooded with pictures of said parking, albeit it with certain details obfuscated for reasons of safety

4) Recruitment: we need to all figure out how to go outside the state to recruit gardai , people should contribute to that thread with candidate attraction strategies , vetting , conversion training etc ...

5) International Agencies: the FBI, NCA, Europol , Interpol and so on ... all of these are to varying degrees ready and willing to chip in...an ex HC Judge of impeccable reputation should begin co-ordinating them

6) Frances Fitzgerald: needs to be replaced ASAP ...preferably stuffed into a canon and fired into the Irish Sea...but I'd settle for a "honorable resignation to spend time" doing whatever "with her family", "flipping her bean" etc ... Leo V or Michael McDowell would work as interim appointees

7) The policing authority : good work is being done , all of us need to watch out for the personal safety of Ms Josephine Feehily and those close to her... I would suggest funding of a few million be made available to them immediately

8) Interim Internal Affairs Unit: a Counter Intelligence and Irregular Operations unit needs to be staffed with the head from outside the country ASAP ... of particular importance is to monitor money flows...also requests need to be made to the UK or US to start recording all channels SigInt on all Garda of Super and above...

9) Criminal Statistics: much improvement is needed, lying is widespread ...legislation is needed to establish strict liability offenses to counter lying or reckless shodiness

10) Garda Interests Act: all gardaí should be required to register all of their financial interests, and expose all of their banking services to (8) above ...strict liability offenses need to be established for certain non disclosures

11) Pulse and ICT: Pulse is a stinking heap of crap ...semapahore and notebooks would be more efficient, and much less prone to abuse...other aspects of the ICT infrastructure are massively sub optimal

12) Court Reporters/Court Operations: as to why the roll out of this has been so slow...well... also payments need to be made to Garda who've to attend court etc outside of regular hours

13) The DPP: the DPP is choosing to send too many matters to the District Court for summary disposal rather than forward for trial on indictment ...this is purely a cost saving exercise...and has gone total FOOBAR ...it needs to stop.

Have I missed anything ?

cYp

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe hire a couple of Canadiens to replace their crack diplomatic/special event security squad. God knows a Canuck or two would be a damned sight better than anything out of Templemore.

freewillie

Any ideas where we might get this HC Judge of impeccable character?
Try to find one not aligned to a political party will take some time.

Jack O Neill

To be very honest, I can't see who's right in this case and who isn't. There are one or two people behaving in a very dislikeable way on the video, though.

I'm not sure how on topic it all is.
its very on topic , it shows the Garda force for what everybody knows them to be , unprofessional , badly trained , biased and used by the bankers and Fine Gael as a private security force .

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
its very on topic , it shows the Garda force for what everybody knows them to be , unprofessional , badly trained , biased and used by the bankers and Fine Gael as a private security force .
To be honest, it doesn't show very much more than one loud eejit in hyperbolic meltdown wielding a camera and a load of stocky people dressed in trying to hide their faces. It doesn't even managed to canvas the opinion of the poor divil inside the house who's presumably under threat of eviction.

Now I'm very happy about the ubiquity cameras these days and their edifying effect on the behaviour of Guards, and I'm well aware of the unprofessionalism, undertaining and bias of the Guards (to say the least) but this video really doesn't prove very much at all either way.

RodShaft

The Gardaí have many fine people...but collectively they are best thought of as a criminal enterprise

Much of this is down to the Government getting to appoint Superintendents and above ... Liam Lawlor and his associates used to issue chilling death threats against honest superintendents who "slipped through" and had the temerity to investigate Liam

Also the Gardaí have at times riddled the Republicans with informants...but too often the traffic has been in the other direction

And this article in today's Irish Times shows that the Irish are now the dominant players in the European drugs scene

This thread is to allow civil society to co-ordinate the takedown of a corrupt enterprise ... the vectors below indicate where they need to be hit, or vectors that require protection and amplification

1) Their media cheerleaders : people such as Conor Lally need to be targeted in all manners legal

2) Public Expenditure and Reform: PER have some gutsy top brass, and they have briefed against the Garda getting anymore money without reform ...they are right...but as cuts to date have unfairly affected morale , and had dangerous impact on operational policing ....some controlled emergency disbursements are needed ...PER needs to parachute in crack bean counting operatives deep behind enemy lines where they can effect payments

3) Pearse Street Carparking : this type of "broken window" problem needs to be extinguished , at the very least, social media should be flooded with pictures of said parking, albeit it with certain details obfuscated for reasons of safety

4) Recruitment: we need to all figure out how to go outside the state to recruit gardai , people should contribute to that thread with candidate attraction strategies , vetting , conversion training etc ...

5) International Agencies: the FBI, NCA, Europol , Interpol and so on ... all of these are to varying degrees ready and willing to chip in...an ex HC Judge of impeccable reputation should begin co-ordinating them

6) Frances Fitzgerald: needs to be replaced ASAP ...preferably stuffed into a canon and fired into the Irish Sea...but I'd settle for a "honorable resignation to spend time" doing whatever "with her family", "flipping her bean" etc ... Leo V or Michael McDowell would work as interim appointees

7) The policing authority : good work is being done , all of us need to watch out for the personal safety of Ms Josephine Feehily and those close to her... I would suggest funding of a few million be made available to them immediately

8) Interim Internal Affairs Unit: a Counter Intelligence and Irregular Operations unit needs to be staffed with the head from outside the country ASAP ... of particular importance is to monitor money flows...also requests need to be made to the UK or US to start recording all channels SigInt on all Garda of Super and above...

9) Criminal Statistics: much improvement is needed, lying is widespread ...legislation is needed to establish strict liability offenses to counter lying or reckless shodiness

10) Garda Interests Act: all gardaí should be required to register all of their financial interests, and expose all of their banking services to (8) above ...strict liability offenses need to be established for certain non disclosures

11) Pulse and ICT: Pulse is a stinking heap of crap ...semapahore and notebooks would be more efficient, and much less prone to abuse...other aspects of the ICT infrastructure are massively sub optimal

12) Court Reporters/Court Operations: as to why the roll out of this has been so slow...well... also payments need to be made to Garda who've to attend court etc outside of regular hours

13) The DPP: the DPP is choosing to send too many matters to the District Court for summary disposal rather than forward for trial on indictment ...this is purely a cost saving exercise...and has gone total FOOBAR ...it needs to stop.

Have I missed anything ?

cYp

Just how fùcking underemployed are you that you have time for this drivel?

Toland

Website
Just how fùcking underemployed are you that you have time for this drivel?
What cYp does or does not do for a living is none of your blasted business. Address the issues raised by cYp's perfectly comprehensible OP unless you're not interested in the subject (and in the latter case, just go somewhere else with your bullying nonsense)

Jack O Neill

To be honest, it doesn't show very much more than one loud eejit in hyperbolic meltdown wielding a camera and a load of stocky people dressed in trying to hide their faces. It doesn't even managed to canvas the opinion of the poor divil inside the house who's presumably under threat of eviction.

Now I'm very happy about the ubiquity cameras these days and their edifying effect on the behaviour of Guards, and I'm well aware of the unprofessionalism, undertaining and bias of the Guards (to say the least) but this video really doesn't prove very much at all either way.

What it does prove is that we as a country and a people should not be allowing banks and their thugs to behave in this manner , as for the Gardai they just need a complete reformation

Toland

Website
What it does prove is that we as a country and a people should not be allowing banks and their thugs to behave in this manner , as for the Gardai they just need a complete reformation
In what manner precisely?

That's a serious question. I'm not entirely clear on what you're referring to.

On your last point, I agree entirely, though I'm not at all sure how the video illustrates that point. I didn't see the guard behaving at all unreasonably.

O

Oscurito

I stopped reading at "criminal enterprise". There may be some ideas for Garda reform in the OP but the hysterical choice of words will greatly hamper the discussion.

Toland

Website
I stopped reading at "criminal enterprise". There may be some ideas for Garda reform in the OP but the hysterical choice of words will greatly hamper the discussion.
I believe that things in the Guards are worse than you think. The term "criminal enterprise" is probably over the top, but "unfit for purpose" isn't, imo.

eoghanacht

ON THE ONE ROAD

some gardai are gay, some are protestant, some don't go to church, some play rugby and some are criminals. Get over it.

ergo2

Ctp

As a lawyer and a citizen I have dealt with many Gardai of all ranks.

I think they do a good job within the resources available to them

Your post is a tad OTT - "attack vectors" indeed.

Jack O Neill

Ctp

As a lawyer of this state your opinion on anything is about as valuable and honest as that of a banker , cleric , or politician

APettigrew92

Ctp

It would be a sweeping generalization indeed to brand all Gardaí as ineffective and corrupt.

Needless to say, those in power are based on all evidence not particularly fit for purpose.

The handling of the State's "investigation" - the State found the State not guilty, what a shock - and the demonization of whistle-blowing in general was a disgrace. McCabe was deemed to have been noble and accurate in some ways yet simultaneously overexaggerating and a "disgusting" person.

Pure waffle. The whole issue of well-connected citizens benefitting from Gardaí largesse vis-a-vis penalty points should be treated as a serious crime, not as a "ah well, sure wouldn't we all do the same" *nudge nudge wink wink* nonsense crime.

As a lawyer and a citizen you surely couldn't comprehend the nature of the entire thing. I guess people being held to account for crimes must be at an all-time low regardless.

Individual Gardaí are not to blame. How many German Soldaten were tried at Nuremberg? The fault lies with administration.

There is admittedly a lot of fault, inefficiency and outright illegality happening in the force.

Toland

Website
It would be a sweeping generalization indeed to brand all Gardaí as ineffective and corrupt.

Needless to say, those in power are based on all evidence not particularly fit for purpose.

The handling of the State's "investigation" - the State found the State not guilty, what a shock - and the demonization of whistle-blowing in general was a disgrace. McCabe was deemed to have been noble and accurate in some ways yet simultaneously overexaggerating and a "disgusting" person.

Pure waffle. The whole issue of well-connected citizens benefitting from Gardaí largesse vis-a-vis penalty points should be treated as a serious crime, not as a "ah well, sure wouldn't we all do the same" *nudge nudge wink wink* nonsense crime.

As a lawyer and a citizen you surely couldn't comprehend the nature of the entire thing. I guess people being held to account for crimes must be at an all-time low regardless.

Individual Gardaí are not to blame. How many German Soldaten were tried at Nuremberg? The fault lies with administration.

There is admittedly a lot of fault, inefficiency and outright illegality happening in the force.
I was with you until you brought the Nazis into it!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies