Taking the Mick -Divided Dail Unites to give Itself a Payrise-not a Single Objection

neutral_lurker

As the country faces economic meltdown, TDs and senators are planning to improve their already plush terms and conditions.

An official estimate of the money required to run the Dail in 2011 'sneaked' through the Dail last Thursday reveals that the recession stops at the gates of Leinster House.

In a touching scene, deputies across all parties suspended hostilities and agreed to the estimates without a single objection.

The estimates reveal that the cost of a Dail which serves fewer people than the population of cities such as greater Manchester, will in 2011 come to €112,983,000
John Drennan: Divided Dail unites -- to give itself a pay rise - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

But expenditure on the perks and services enjoyed by our TDs and senators will actually increase in certain areas next year.

The cost of salaries for TDs, senators and secretarial assistants will increase, while salaries of staff like those in catering and behind the Dail bar will decrease. Let Them Eat Cake!!!

The estimates for 2011 reveal that there will be an increase in the postal and telecommunications service, which allows TDs and senators to send out promotional literature to their constituents.

The budget for delegates to 'other parliamentary assemblies' has increased by 50 per cent and the 'grant in aid' for 'inter-parliamentary activities' has also increased by a whopping 40 per cent.

Even this, however, is dwarfed by the increase in the budget for allowances in respect of former members of the houses of the Oireachtas, which has been increased from €49,000 to €149,000.

It also contains an increase of the 'grant in aid' to parliamentary pensioners from from €10,084,000 to €10,562,000, indicating that Dail and Seanad pension recipients will be unique within the country in actually securing an increase next year. The estimates also reveal that there will be a substantial increase in the Budget for televising Dail and Seanad proceedings, which provides TDs and Senators with much-desired coverage

Looking after their own while cutting the rest of us and not a query from any opposition party!!!!

DuineEile

I doubt that this is true. There are a number of politicians who would not support the cosy status quo. Were they duped, or is the Indo trying to support the right wing parties with an "all politicians are all the same" gambit?

D

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Further proof, if it was necessary that the politicians will put their own interests ahead of those of the citizens of the country. A general election and a change of government is only going to put a sticking plaster on the huge open wound at the heart of the state. We need major surgary. We need a benevolent dictatorship. Failing that we need the IMF to run the show for a few years.

picador

I doubt that this is true. There are a number of politicians who would not support the cosy status quo. Were they duped, or is the Indo trying to support the right wing parties with an "all politicians are all the same" gambit?

D
That was my reaction too.

DuineEile

As for complaints about televising the Dáil, we need more scrutiny of our TD's, not less.

D

FakeViking

As for complaints about televising the Dáil, we need more scrutiny of our TD's, not less.

D
You bet! But seeing that when someone is critical of the incumbents (like Paul Somerville on Marion Finucane's programme yesterday), it mysteriously disappears!

neutral_lurker

D
Were they in the Dail that day?Its rarely full.

The Indo article implied it was 'sneaked' through

Can't believe there were no-one from the opposition parties there though

greengoose2

You bet! But seeing that when someone is critical of the incumbents (like Paul Somerville on Marion Finucane's programme yesterday), it mysteriously disappears!
Only disappears from RTE/FF Pravda. It's all over the planet at this stage. Those leaders of "The Knowledge Economy" haven't got a clue about modern technology. The will never grasp the fact that by trying to hide something it make it more prone to discovery. It takes ten lies to cove a single one.

http://www.politics.ie/media/142043-paul-sommerville-marian-finucane-17.html#post3143855

He3

Cheese

Sync

Parliamentary Debates (Official Report - Unrevised) Dáil Éireann Thursday, 4 November 2010 - Page 1

Now far be it for me to say this guys full of it, but looking at the transcript from Thursday there's no mention of the word "Postal", "'inter-parliamentary", "149,000", "telecommunications", or relevant mention of "Allowances". Perhaps someone smarter than me can find it.

If this "story" were true, wouldn't he have mentioned who proposed this? And which TDs were present and didn't object?

Also

The estimates for 2011 reveal that there will be an increase in the postal and telecommunications service, which allows TDs and senators to send out promotional literature to their constituents.
Wow really? You mean the year when the entire country expects an election is estimate to see an increase in the cost of promotional literature? REALLY? OH NOES!!!

Mister men

I refuse to believe this

laidback

what makes this believable is that not one opposition deputy has spoken out and returned any of the unvouched expenses now paid automatically with salary ('reformed' system March 2010), saving these overworked men and women the bother of completing a claim form.

And FG announced some policies today to deal with the crisis but I did not hear anything about reform of their expenses and salaries - this reform is crucial as it is about LEADERSHIP.

deirdrem

The estimates reveal that the cost of a Dail which serves fewer people than the population of cities such as greater Manchester,
I've seen this unfortunate comment made previously; sometimes Birmingham is substituted for Manchester.
FYI, and to stop you detracting from otherwise good points, the population of Greater Manchester was estimated at around 2.6 million in 2009, if Wikipedia is to be believed.
Birmingham, or more correctly, the West Midlands, has apporximately the same population, also in the region of 2.6 million.

Barnacle

Were the details contained in the document laid before the Dáil and passed under the motion proposed by Michael Mulcahy.

neutral_lurker

I've seen this unfortunate comment made previously; sometimes Birmingham is substituted for Manchester.
FYI, and to stop you detracting from otherwise good points, the population of Greater Manchester was estimated at around 2.6 million in 2009, if Wikipedia is to be believed.
Birmingham, or more correctly, the West Midlands, has apporximately the same population, also in the region of 2.6 million.
Dude, those are quotes directly from the article ( the Let them eat cake for the catering staff my only interjection :))- you can take it up with the author.

Would the Indo just make up these figures (149,000euros etc) though can't they be sued for just writing fiction?

Perhaps this Alison O'Riorden Mark 11 but unfortunately it has a ring of truth.

Are they not cutting their own salaries in the Budget then?

berberie

Were the details contained in the document laid before the Dáil and passed under the motion proposed by Michael Mulcahy.
If you go to the Dáil pages and look up 4th of November it shows you exactly what MM said on the day.

" Statements of Estimates for the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission: Motion

Deputy Michael Mulcahy: Information Zoom I move:

That Dáil Éireann take note of the Statement of Estimates of moneys required in respect of ongoing expenditure for the period beginning on 1 January, 2011 and ending on 31 December, 2011, prepared and published by the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission in accordance with section 13 of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission Act 2003 as amended by section 8 of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission (Amendment) Act 2006 and section 9 of the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission (Amendment) Act 2009, which was laid before both Houses of the Oireachtas on 3 November, 2010.

Question put and agreed to."

I nowhere see individual mentions of what was mentioned in the article.

Barnacle

I nowhere see individual mentions of what was mentioned in the article.
That's how they get things through without us knowing, unless you are prepared to got to the office and get a copy of the document laid. Documents laid are stated on the Order of Business and this was on the Order of Business on the 4th.

berberie

That's how they get things through without us knowing, unless you are prepared to got to the office and get a copy of the document laid. Documents laid are stated on the Order of Business and this was on the Order of Business on the 4th.
Yup, what worries me is it says "which was laid before both Houses of the Oireachtas on 3 November, 2010." So does that mean that they were all given the individual info on the 3rd and when it came to voting on the 4th that all they had to do was pass it rather than announcing publicly the actual individual fiscal points?

If that's true though, all concerned had to know that at some stage it would be highlighted. If the opposition parties knew I can't imagine them passing it so easily, simply as it would mean they would have to answer questions when it came to be public knowledge at a time when the country is baying for blood as it is and obviously they want to keep the public onside.

Murph

I too believe its crap. They either slipped it through on the QT, or it didnt happen at all. ffs Sinn Fein's budget proposals are to slash Leinster Houses saleries and I doubt very much Labour would knowingly support this.

Drennan is doing his usual help FF out piece. Has he wrote anything on SF's budget proposals, or Pearse Dohertys victory?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies