Taking the surname of the wife in marriage

GabhaDubh

One of my male employees showed up with a ring on, way before the marriage. I was informed it was a engagement ring and that he would be taking his brides name. Well that marriage did not last long (his paperwork was huge going back to his original name). Second case, a so called business man took his wife name "because his father abandoned him as a child". Nope, he was indicted on a 3 million fraud case under his old name.

ruserious

So OP wants to end the patriarchal society by promoting a matriarchal one? Right.

Any future kids of mine will have my surname and the potential wife can choose what she wants.

GDPR

So OP wants to end the patriarchal society by promoting a matriarchal one? Right.

Any future kids of mine will have my surname and the potential wife can choose what she wants.
Yup, there's a legal presumption that any child born in marriage is the child of the husband.

Tee-hee.

Prof Honeydew

Personally, i always loved the US practice where high society dames with multiple marriages behind them would flaunt the surnames of all the men paying alimony to them.

Pamela Digby Churchill Hayward Harriman - here's looking at you, babes. :)
There's also Vicky Pollard who is really Vicky Jones Dunno Smith Blokewiththeorangetrainers Robinson Forget Jason Yesbutnobutyes Pollard.

Gaston

Yup, there's a legal presumption that any child born in marriage is the child of the husband.

Tee-hee.
Well in my house when the kids are being unruly they're taking after me and when they're good they are taking after her and legality has feck all to do with it. Isn't fickleness always thus in a dictatorship?

Roll_On

In Spain you officially have your Nombre(First Name) Then your Primero Apellido (First Surname i.e. your father's first surname and his father's and so on) and your Segundo Apellido (Second Surname, your mother's first surname and her father's and so on). In practice you generally only use your primero apellido, your Segundo is generally a formality like our middle names.

In Spain, as in Ireland, recently married same sex couples will generally keep their names as they are after getting married. Married same sex couples adopting children from a young age and conceiving through IVF and surrogacy are essentially making up their own traditions which makes for some complicated legalities. Perhaps this area should be standardized by some law.

jmcc

Which will lead to a generation of kids both with double-barrelled names, so do they have to be quadruple-barrelled when they marry?
No wonder the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas changed to Windsor. They seemed to be missing a name there. :)

Rural

I can't envisage a scenario where I would want to take my wife's name. Then again I can't understand why a wife would want to take her husbands name either.
I was delighted to take Hubby's name, I used to have to spell my name for everyone before that.

Catalpast

I think that any man that decided to take his wife's name is a ball-less, cuckholded beta male who should be kicked out of the man club.

It's like something Eoin O'Broin would do. He looks like that kind of a spineless cuck.
I doubt he has ever handled anything other than his water pistol

- yeah so Eoin O Boiling

- would fit him like a glove....:cool:

RodShaft

I think that any man that decided to take his wife's name is a ball-less, cuckholded beta male who should be kicked out of the man club.

It's like something Eoin O'Broin would do. He looks like that kind of a spineless cuck.
Well, he didn't, so what is your next piece of wild bolloxology?

RodShaft

Good luck with that.

RodShaft

RodShaft

Having quite a distinctive name, I most certainly would never dump it professionally.
I must confess that dumping it for something mundane and common in my personal life could knark me too?
And you would be right.

Bea C

I was delighted to take Hubby's name, I used to have to spell my name for everyone before that.
People mispronounce mine all the time, it doesn't bother me.

cricket

You can't beat a good, historic double-barrelled Irish surname like Muldowney-Blennerhasset.

Orbit v2

The Spanish have a way around that problem - as they seem to have a way around everything - double barreled names are the norm, but when a couple get married the man's surname comes first with the wife's second. Then in the next generation when a kid gets married the wife's name is dropped and she becomes just a footnote to family history.:D
Though from my experience Spanish men don't change their own usage, except in formal written documents.

In Iceland, it's similar though different. They don't have proper family names as such. Everyone gets a first name and their lastname is their father's name with "son" appended for a man or "dottir" appended for a woman. So, for the former prime-minister Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir - you can tell her pop's first name was Sigurðar - which is a true patriarchy in that the woman never shakes off her association with her father, and the mother is not in the picture at all.

When we got married in 1990, Mrs Orbit decided to keep her name, but wasn't consistent about it. We eventually got an exasperated though polite letter from the social welfare re: chidlren's allowance basically saying "make up your bloody mind woman, what you want you want to be called"!

Rural

People mispronounce mine all the time, it doesn't bother me.
That wouldn't bother me either, but when I was single and people got the hang of my surname, then some called me just by my surname, like I was in the army or something, so I got a bit sick of it. Although I really don't mind what I'm called, I've been using my married name now, longer than I used my single name.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies