• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Talk normally - we will soon be on show

DavidCaldwell

On a feedback thread, one of the moderation mentioned that, after the forthcoming software upgrade, the NI section will be back on the main page.

One suggestion so that we make a good impression on the wider world - that we try to stick to the same degree of politeness that we would show if we were just talking.

When talking, people don't insult each other. Why should we do it when writing?

Mattarigna

On a feedback thread, one of the moderation mentioned that, after the forthcoming software upgrade, the NI section will be back on the main page.

One suggestion so that we make a good impression on the wider world - that we try to stick to the same degree of politeness that we would show if we were just talking.

I suppose people do it mainly because the other person can't beat the living daylights out of them as a result - therefore, a feeling of invincibility. I find it annoying that I have to click right into the Northern Ireland forum to know what the latest discussions are about - I really hope that it stays back at the main page in the future.

Ren84

TBH the Nordie forum is no worse than many other parts of this site. You only have to take a look at any thread on Europe or immigration to see all hell breaking loose. The only real reason the NI forum was taken off the main board was because of an anti Northern bias by the admin team, a bias that is still there unfortunately by many of the mods.

Mattarigna

TBH the Nordie forum is no worse than many other parts of this site. You only have to take a look at any thread on Europe or immigration to see all hell breaking loose. The only real reason the NI forum was taken off the main board was because of an anti Northern bias by the admin team, a bias that is still there unfortunately by many of the mods.
In fairness, it is a little worse.

Ren84

In fairness, it is a little worse.
It isn't really. I dare you to go onto a thread discussing immigration or same sex marriage. The sort of discussions that make you seriously worry about the future direction the human race is heading in. :(

Mattarigna

It isn't really. I dare you to go onto a thread discussing immigration or same sex marriage. The sort of discussions that make you seriously worry about the future direction the human race is heading in. :(
Well, I suppose, in a way, the Northern Ireland forum is a bit like a forum that is dedicated to discussing abortion, or the other two examples you used.

Ren84

Well, I suppose, in a way, the Northern Ireland forum is a bit like a forum that is dedicated to discussing abortion, or the other two examples you used.
The problem I have with the NI forum is that ALL Northern related issues are dumped here. Rather than a topic about healthcare services in Derry being placed in the Health subforum they get moved here. I feel this forum should only be for Stormont related topics. There should also be separate subforums for the other NI parties like what the site here has for FF, FG, Lab, SF, etc. In other words the NI forum should be broken up IMO.

physicist

The problem I have with the NI forum is that ALL Northern related issues are dumped here. Rather than a topic about healthcare services in Derry being placed in the Health subforum they get moved here. I feel this forum should only be for Stormont related topics. There should also be separate subforums for the other NI parties like what the site here has for FF, FG, Lab, SF, etc. In other words the NI forum should be broken up IMO.
Seems reasonable that the topics such as health, education, justice etc. should be subdivided, if people have to think about which subsection the topic comes under it might encourage them to give more thought to their answers.

Mattarigna

Seems reasonable that the topics such as health, education, justice etc. should be subdivided, if people have to think about which subsection the topic comes under it might encourage them to give more thought to their answers.
Exactly.

Mattarigna

Totally agree.

Glaucon

TBH the Nordie forum is no worse than many other parts of this site.
I don't think you have people excusing/supporting the murder of innocent civilians in the rest of the forum, as one scumbag is doing on another thread in this section.

Ren84

I don't think you have people excusing/supporting the murder of innocent civilians in the rest of the forum, as one scumbag is doing on another thread in this section.
No, but you do have people calling for the US to carpet bomb North Korea and Iran with nuclear bombs, and are deadly serious about it.

vinoboy

Feck off to the garden centre DC - only joking . :D

cricket

I don't think this section is much different to the rest. Give each thread a little time and it descends into irrelevancy.

between the bridges

seen plenty of the same on the main forum...

S

SeamusNapoleon

Was this recent? Because I remember Sync saying it on your easter thread, but that was many moons ago and we've had nothing but fob-offs - if not outright silence - since then.

Portadown madman

You're not from here, nobody gives a toss what you think should happen to the NI forum.

belfast1981

I actually thought the rubbish was confined to the NI section until I started venturing out of the NI thread into other sections outside of the sports...... bloody hell.. I was wrong.

IrishWelshCelt

Ban Bilko, GlenShane4 and Conventer and this forum would be 100 times better.