Talking down the Economy

richie268

Irish response to crisis will make economy stall - Business News, Business - The Independent

Quote "Economist David McWilliams, who is credited with being the first to predict Ireland's financial problems, said: "For me as an Irish citizen, this is like watching a slow car crash. The more they cut, the more the economy will continue to stagnate. The Irish government seems to think they can emote the economy to life by sloganeering, but people who don't understand economics have taken over."

Sloganeering now theres a word, I think the word lying would have sufficed.

Cassandra Syndrome

This economy is impossible. Through tax, debt and imports the multiplier of consumption is less than 1. No matter what someone spends less is added to the real economy.

Old Irish

Jees you're an early riser Richie! I think they should start using reverse phycology. Eg. Cowen tells us not to spend rather than to spend...would probably have the reverse affect because when I heard Cowen wanted us to spend and yet is cutting all sorts in the next budget that made me think to myself 'I'm not going to spend a fricking penny'

richie268

Jees you're an early riser Richie! I think they should start using reverse phycology. Eg. Cowen tells us not to spend rather than to spend...would probably have the reverse affect because when I heard Cowen wanted us to spend and yet is cutting all sorts in the next budget that made me think to myself 'I'm not going to spend a fricking penny'
I am waiting until April1st

slx

Shhhhh don't upset FF, they don't like their gross incompetence being pointed out to them. They're very sensitive. The poor dears

karldaly

"'Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide"

??????????????????????????????/

DCon

This line describes things quite well

"The Irish government is using the bond markets as a financial skip into which it wants to put all the financial sins of the politicians. But the bond markets are saying either you can have your banking bail out or your welfare state – you choose."

Porgie

To me the notion of talking down the economy is akin to riding for chastity i.e. Utterly meaningless and full of irony....

firefighter

I've heard AIB's and BOI's overnight rate business has gone to zero.

There are 100s of other banks in the EU to choose from.

karldaly

@ Porgie
"To me the notion of talking down the economy is akin to riding for chastity i.e. Utterly meaningless and full of irony...."

But you have to admit there is plenty of material to work with:

Nearly half a million Irish people existing on handouts of 197 euros per week

Ireland with one of the highest rates of youth suicide in Europe

Tens of thousands of Irish families in danger of losing their homes.

Rural Ireland beind decimated once again, and probably for the last time, by mass immigration.

firefighter

@ Porgie
"To me the notion of talking down the economy is akin to riding for chastity i.e. Utterly meaningless and full of irony...."

Life isn't that bad on €197 a week + rent allowance. A good 20% of those 500,000 are non-Irish. Think Poles who are still claiming children's benefit for 3 kids.

We also have a drink and drugs problem which I believe are stronger factors. The suicide rates are influenced by the overall economic situation, but to what extent is anybody's guess.

Tough. But not the end of the world. Explaining what happened to Aunty Mary or at the school reunion is people's biggest fear.

Rural Ireland beind decimated once again, and probably for the last time, by mass immigration.
Ah, poor 'aul "rural Ireland". I wonder what the price/earnings ratio of some of these farms is?

greengoose2

Life isn't that bad on €197 a week + rent allowance.
Is that your situation or is it merely pub talk?

We also have a drink and drugs problem which I believe are stronger factors. The suicide rates are influenced by the overall economic situation, but to what extent is anybody's guess.

Really? Have you studied this or were you told it in the pub?

Tough. But not the end of the world. Explaining what happened to Aunty Mary or at the school reunion is people's biggest fear.

Sounds more like you heard that from Uncle Arthur!

Ah, poor 'aul "rural Ireland". I wonder what the price/earnings ratio of some of these farms is?

And well you might....

Porgie

@ Porgie

I think you misunderstood what I meant, my fault, I should have been clearer.

You are absolutely correct with your examples of the real consequences for people regarding the recession, which is rapidly becoming a depression. There are many more which we can all point to.

My contention is with those that propose that talking about the negative consequences of the bertie bubble being somehow responsible for the mire we are in. They don't appear to have realised that the sheeple are not listening to them anymore and are making factual based decisions based on the reality on the ground. The economic reality for most people is forcing them to, rather than the ould talking down de economy chessnut that those particularly from FF wan't to believe is the cause. Denial and cognitive dissonance in spades.

Mushroom

Nice to see Gene Kerrigan turning his blunderbuss at the clueless, prolix liar that is Bozo - for all we may despise the Sunday Indo and its slobbering bunch of FF acolytes, at least Kerrigan is still given the back page and allowed to tell us the the truth, so let's hear one and a half cheers for Aengus Fanning and co.

"Blind optimism last refuge of clueless"

You know you're back at square one if Brian Lenihan says you've turned a corner, writes Gene Kerrigan

Gene Kerrigan: Blind optimism last refuge of clueless - Gene Kerrigan, Columnists - Independent.ie

"............... we're not stupid. And we know that when you've been told again and again and again that you've turned a corner it means two things -- the leaders are lost, and you're back where you started."

dalywise

"'S...S...Sittin' on the sidelines, c...c...cribbin' an' moanin' is a l...l...lost opportunity. I....I....I ... don't know how people who engage ....in that d...d...don't commit suicide"

??????????????????????????????/
corrected that for you.

charley

Life isn't that bad on €197 a week + rent allowance. A good 20% of those 500,000 are non-Irish. Think Poles who are still claiming children's benefit for 3 kids.

?
This claim that everyone on SW gets rent supplement is a complete lie.
In Donegal there is over 20,000 people unemployed but only 3000 get rent supplement so it would be a similiar percentage countrywide. Also you are forgetting that child benefit is a universal payment that millionaires also receive so it cannot be included . Those polish workers paid the same PRSI as you and if you can't cope with the fact that Ireland is a member of the EU I'm sure no one will miss you if you leave.

kerdasi amaq

I'd say that the PRSI paid by Polish workers is less than the amount paid out to them in social welfare.

Foreign workers only contribute extra revenue, if there is full employment in the local economy.

SideysGhost

It's always been a litmus test, a canary in the mine. Whenever politicians and media anywhere in the world start bleating about "confidence" and "Don't talk down the economy" then that is a cast-iron foolproof guarantee that the economy in question is a ponzi scheme, a house of cards floating on a tide of spoofery, all mouth no trousers, a scam.

Because a well-run well-balanced productive economy doesn't need anyone to be blethering about "confidence", as people are too busy working hard creating quality goods and services for sale and export in order to earn money to spend saving, investing and consuming, which money in turn is used to further develop the productive capacity of the nation.

There's a very good reason why an alternative name for conman is "confidence trickster". Pretty much anything that relies on "confidence" or that in any other way relies on manipulating your emotional responses into a particular state is a SCAM.

New Threads

Most Replies