• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Talks on parades.

mindgames

Northern Ireland police and politicians are to hold talks in Wales in a bid to resolve tensions around parading.

Sources have said the talks will involve other key players from the community.

The talks were supposed to be private but news of them has begun to leak out.

Official sources such as the Police Service of Northern Ireland have not responded yet to questions about the initiative.

Sources says the location is Wales and the talks are set to take place next week.
BBC News - Parades talks to be held in Wales

The initiative follows public criticism in recent years by senior police officers that politicians have essentially failed to tackle the issue in the winter months, and allowed tensions to spill onto the streets in summer.

Good news hope the talks go well maybe a neutral location will focus minds.

between the bridges

Sources have said the talks will involve other key players from the community.
Which reminds moi, I'l be away next week...

vivabrigada

Surely some sort of agreement isn't beyond them? It is sorely needed.

Pat Mc Larnon

Pointless to have 'secret' talks in Wales, it was inevitable it would leek out.

vivabrigada

Good to see even politcal journos have a sense of humour!
Martina Purdy ‏@purdypols 2m

Phil Flanagan told the minister Arlene Foster as she left committee it was me who was tweeting about her! Tout!
:D

Martina Purdy ‏@purdypols 2m

The minister told the committee "it was good to talk" - Does Arlene Foster know about these talks in Wales? Call me minister! Good to talk!

DT123

Hands up all those who think that these talks will make one blind bit of difference?

dazzler

If the marches would stay out of Catholic areas there would be no trouble

DT123

If the marches would stay out of Catholic areas there would be no trouble
Do you wish to define the whole country into "Catholic" and "Protestant" areas?

No OO in "Catholic" areas and no GAA matches in "Protestant" areas for example?

DT123

GAA matches are usually played on pitches owned by the GAA. Not really the same as the Orange Order marches on the public highway? I think if they wanted to march around a field 365 days a year no one would give two shíts...
Indeed,but if people are going to have their own "areas",where they have the say so over what happens there,that is the situation you will end up with.People can "choose" to be "offended" by whatever they want,so designating "areas",is a very dangerous path to go down.

Either it is a free country or it isn't.People all either have the same rights or they do not.

McSlaggart

Pay to play! The OO and bands should cover the cost of their events that way everyone will have the same rights.

DT123

Pay to play! The OO and bands should cover the cost of their events that way everyone will have the same rights.
They park the cars and cause congestion "on the street" though.The tones of the SS waft onto the street as well.As streets and roads belong to us all ,I have no problem with that.Parades should be confined to main roads and main streets,end of story.No going into estates or cul de sacs.However once confined to those areas,if officially approved,no counter protests should be permitted.

Swords Hoopster

Do you wish to define the whole country into "Catholic" and "Protestant" areas?
No OO in "Catholic" areas and no GAA matches in "Protestant" areas for example?
That's the upteempth time I've seen a PUL comparing the OO to the GAA. Its a very odd comparison IMO.

Wouldn't the CNR equivalent of the OO be the AOH or some such organisation?

McSlaggart

They park the cars and cause congestion "on the street" though.The tones of the SS waft onto the street as well.As streets and roads belong to us all ,I have no problem with that.
The police are outside the grounds at GAA matches and they will take action about illegal parked cars etc I do have a problem with GAA people who park their cars illegally and have no issue with action being taken.

Parades should be confined to main roads and main streets,end of story.No going into estates or cul de sacs.However once confined to those areas,if officially approved,no counter protests should be permitted.
No most parades should be taken off the main roads! Its madness to block main roads while their is plenty of other places to march.

If you are going to march on main road the minimum should be that whoever does it should cover the cost of policing etc.

vivabrigada

Political Jouro Barney Rowan just tweeted:
@BrianPJRowan Orange Order saying they haven't been invited

belfast1981

That's the upteempth time I've seen a PUL comparing the OO to the GAA. Its a very odd comparison IMO.

Very much this, the GAA matches are in a confined environment inside a ground, with little to no disruption to traffic flow...AOH would be the CNR equivalent IF we are to go down the comparison route in terms of having to close off roads to allow marches and causing disruption to those trying to get from A to B.

between the bridges

The OO do more than march's as the GAA does more than match's...

between the bridges

Very much this, the GAA matches are in a confined environment inside a ground, with little to no disruption to traffic flow...AOH would be the CNR equivalent.
When you take the structure in parish bases, provision of halls, the involvement in community, the dabbling in politics, and how each is perceived by many in the 'other' community the comparsement can be easily justified...

DT123

Nothing odd about it,if you had any knowledge of NI.

The police are outside the grounds at GAA matches and they will take action about illegal parked cars etc I do have a problem with GAA people who park their cars illegally and have no issue with action being taken.
Big matches ,especially in the smaller towns,can cause fairly severe traffic disruption.Clogher can be a disaster.

No most parades should be taken off the main roads! Its madness to block main roads while their is plenty of other places to march.

If you are going to march on main road the minimum should be that whoever does it should cover the cost of policing etc.
Blocking main roads ,with no fairly straightforeward alternative route,should be a major consideration for the Parades Commission.Namely when and for how long a road would be blocked to facilitate a parade.Not for long and/or not often being the rules of thumb.

The cost should indeed be met by the organisers.However if a parade is permitted and any counter demostrators turn up,the protestors should then be liable for the cost of any subsequent trouble.

Swords Hoopster

When you take the structure in parish bases, provision of halls, the involvement in community, the dabbling in politics, and how each is perceived by many in the 'other' community the comparsement can be easily justified...
Couldn't you make a similar comparison with the IFA or the GUI? You're still comparing a religious organisation with a sporting one.

Again, wouldn't the AOH be the OO's real equivalent?