Taoiseach does not rule out end to State cars

laidback

Well gogo Gogarty has said that the issue of state cars has to be looked at - presumably he means take them away, but then with him he might mean something else.

He's the only Green who hasn't had one/got one.

laidback

State car story on Liveline and replayed on playback this morning.

Caller watched state car driver sit in car for a couple of hours outside riding stables i think somewhere in Wicklow. He was waiting for the Minister's grandson. Joe asked was the Minister there and no, no Minister just the boy doing his riding lessons.

Anyone know who that Minister was?

commonman

they wont have the cars for long .we are at the end game there will be a G.E. very soon

johnnypockets

This is disgusting elitist behaviour. Maybe I'm just grumpy today but this is really annoying me(more than usual!). I think that these ministerial cars are a good target for protests. Block them in, let air out of the tyres.
Nothing too serious but enough to make a statement. People can take the power here. Make them such a hassle to have, they no longer want them.

Marcos the black

Wait till you see, Cowen will "downsize" from Mercs and BMW's to say Citeron C6's, say "We're taking the tough decisions, and we're listening to what the people are saying".. Joe Public will say, "Ha we really showed them shower" and then go out and vote for them in the upcoming election... And life returns to normal... What was all the fuss about?

commonman

Do you think so? I'm not so sure. They are all hanging for as long as possible as many of them may never get in again.
be patient my friend, the people will have there say and we must not let these ba...... forget what the done to OUR COUNTRY

acme

Cowen would actually bonus points if he downsized from Mercs and BMW's to say Citeron C6's

but cannot see it happen

Tomas Mor

Cant understand why this was not addressed before. System of car pooling must be a priority, and garda drivers only for Taoiseach and minister for justice. There was a time when even junior ministers had garda drivers - that was changed by coalition gov of Garrett in 1980s- juniors have two civilian drivers each now, which is far too much of course. And car pooling also for former Taoisigh. I can belive Albert, Garrett and Cosgrove have to have full time cars and garda drivers, all of them are getting on and I assume dont travel very much !

flogs

Don't army generals have drivers too? Why not have the department of defence take over the ministerial travel and have a corps of ministeral drivers for a car pool set up under the the defence HQ?

berberie

A). Do we need state cars and drivers as not one minister has passed their driving test/can't read a map/can't follow instructions from a sat nav??

B). Is it because it allows for a good old knees up (ie thinktanks, ard fheis, general FF get togethers) without ministers being 'done' for drink driving and saves them the price of a taxi fare home?

C). Isn't the government trying to encourage the rest of us to use public transportation to save the environment? If so why don't they set the example? Separate point on this issue, if you live outside Ireland's cities local transportation is pretty much non existant (remember what happened the Rosslare to Waterford train)!!

Some years ago I heard a rumour from the dept of diplomacy of an employee hiring a Ford Fiesta to send a delegation from Dublin to the North......... lol well done to the person, they know who they are and unfortunately have moved on to greener pastures ;). Now couldn't all governmental depts use employees like this one, would save the country a fortune.

johnnypockets

Spray paint would probably mean a court appearance. I do think an organised targetting of state cars could be done when they are not being used for what they were intended. Would be hard to get arrested for that.
If the air is left out of the tyres when they are found out side stables like in an earlier post that would help get the message across.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies