• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Taoiseach favours Oireachtas TV channel

Lord of Kerry

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2007
Messages
76
Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has said that RTÉ should be able to transmit a dedicated Dáil channel on television. Mr Ahern said that within the public service remit he said he though that RTÉ should be able to carry such a channel.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1107/dail.html

Well any thoughts?
I'm assuming it would be like the BBC Parliament channel
 


Akrasia

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 6, 2006
Messages
1,128
I don't think it really affects Bertie seeing as he's never feckin there
 

stretchneil

Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
39
I think it'd be great, but only if it was done properly, with interesting commentators, interviewers etc on top of live coverage.
 

alltheway

Active member
Joined
Mar 3, 2006
Messages
137
i agree with stretcheil, it would be a good idea but it was to be jazzed up a bit, make it easy to watch, not just long speeches
 

meriwether

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
12,539
alltheway said:
i agree with stretcheil, it would be a good idea but it was to be jazzed up a bit, make it easy to watch, not just long speeches

Did you ever watch the Daily Politic on BBC in the morning?
Its presented by Andrew Neil (I think) and has Portillio, and that Black New Labour lady who had to resign for sending her sprog to private tutition.

Anyhow, thats an exercise is how not to jazz things up.
Its tries to be full of eye catching analogies and metaphors, stunts and wheezes, etc.
Its just irritating after a while.
 

alltheway

Active member
Joined
Mar 3, 2006
Messages
137
Have only seen it once or twice meri and to be honest i was more then likely just flicking through the channels!!!

Im not sure how they would do it but they certainly could not show it on its current format, unless they make it more like american football show 30 seconds of action and then break to commercials!!!
 

Sligoboy

Active member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
180
He might change his mind after this mornings bumbling performance.

Gilmore made mince meat of him.
 

greengoose

Active member
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
116
Sligoboy said:
He might change his mind after this mornings bumbling performance.

Gilmore made mince meat of him.
Neck like a jockey's b*llix, he doesn't do mincemeat!
 

MarD

Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
45
Watching Ahern, when he's there, with the head down, reading from prepared speeches would make riveting TV!

When he responds off the cuff his contributions are narky and spiteful.
 

Tintern1

Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
12
Listening to Enda Kenny is painful, so looking at him would be unbearable. Maybe they could just blur his image. Would anyone notice?
 

FutureTaoiseach

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2005
Messages
7,980
Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
I agree with this. What I'd really love though, is for the most secretive parliament in the world, the EU Council of Ministers, to have its proceedings broadcast in public. :)
 

michael1965

Active member
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Messages
143
Good idea.

I think Oireachtas report is not bad, just broadcast too late to be of interest to most people. Broadcasting during day time, would allow for live coverage of the Dail, and I'd also like to see coverage of committees as well.

Cable and satellite providers should be required to carry the channel as well.
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
33,861
FutureTaoiseach said:
I agree with this. What I'd really love though, is for the most secretive parliament in the world, the EU Council of Ministers, to have its proceedings broadcast in public. :)
Isn't there one already. I dunno if it covers the Parliament though. I watched it for about fifteen minuites and it was worse than watching paint dry, WORSE.

C-Span for Ireland.

Jesus, we're such nerds.
 

Auditor #9

Active member
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
237
Website
www.*******.com
Lord of Kerry said:
Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has said that RTÉ should be able to transmit a dedicated Dáil channel on television. Mr Ahern said that within the public service remit he said he though that RTÉ should be able to carry such a channel.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1107/dail.html

Well any thoughts?
I'm assuming it would be like the BBC Parliament channel
As it's already on the internet, why not something interactive? TD forums could make better splashes on ratings and justify berties pay rise a bit.
 


New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top