Taoiseach proposes May 2020 as date of next General Election.

Baron von Biffo

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has proposed holding the next General Election in May of 2020.

So far as I can remember it's unprecedented for a Taoiseach to give so much notice of his intentions regarding the election date but it may turn out to be a good thing.

With a definite time-scale set out, the temptation to play silly buggers, in his own party as well as the opposition ought to be much reduced.

midlander12

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has proposed holding the next General Election in May of 2020.

So far as I can remember it's unprecedented for a Taoiseach to give so much notice of his intentions regarding the election date but it may turn out to be a good thing.

With a definite time-scale set out, the temptation to play silly buggers, in his own party as well as the opposition ought to be much reduced.

In fairness it's a bit like saying 'Easter will be in April next year, though it's sometimes in March'. Once the Brexit thing remained unresolved there was no possibility of going this autumn, and anyway there has been something of an 'abundance' (as 'BloJo' would say) of elections and refs in recent years. I think Feb-March is also a possibility, depending on how Brexit pans out.

There was never any possibility of going beyond Summer 2020, in fact I think the C&S with FF will have formally expired by then anyway. But who would have thought it would last 4 years? I remember all those threads that started with the post 'now that a GE is virtually certain in 2017/2018/2019' etc.

Baron von Biffo

In fairness it's a bit like saying 'Easter will be in April next year, though it's sometimes in March'. Once the Brexit thing remained unresolved there was no possibility of going this autumn, and anyway there has been something of an 'abundance' (as 'BloJo' would say) of elections and refs in recent years. I think Feb-March is also a possibility, depending on how Brexit pans out.

There was never any possibility of going beyond Summer 2020, in fact I think the C&S with FF will have formally expired by then anyway. But who would have thought it would last 4 years? I remember all those threads that started with the post 'now that a GE is virtually certain in 2017/2018/2019' etc.
Unlike the date of Easter, the timing of a GE is usually in the hands of the Taoiseach. A belief that the election will be held at a particular time is not the same as a statement of intent by the Taoiseach.

While he has somewhat restricted his own freedom to manoeuvre, Varadkar has also put constraints on FF and perhaps moreso on SF as the latter is much given to stunts and acting the bollocks generally.

tsarbomb

I didn't think it would last this long!

Time for a return of FF in government unfortunately :(

midlander12

Unlike the date of Easter, the timing of a GE is usually in the hands of the Taoiseach. A belief that the election will be held at a particular time is not the same as a statement of intent by the Taoiseach.

While he has somewhat restricted his own freedom to manoeuvre, Varadkar has also put constraints on FF and perhaps moreso on SF as the latter is much given to stunts and acting the bollocks generally.
He can always change his mind of course. He might yet catch them unawares in Feb/March. Kenny didn't get much thanks for waiting.

Round tower

He can always change his mind of course. He might yet catch them unawares in Feb/March. Kenny didn't get much thanks for waiting.
Agree if he had went to the country when it was first muted 4 or 5 months before he went to the country, FG would be 10 to 12 TD's better off

Baron von Biffo

The very tetchy comments by Barry Cowen on Radio earlier today suggest that Varadkar's announcement has really discommoded FF.

It may be that FF was hoping to engineer the GE at a time of their own choosing and Varadkar has made that substantially more difficult for them.

petronius

Strange how the UK and its brexit issues decides if and when we have a general election.

McTell

Twitter
No
I didn't think it would last this long!

Time for a return of FF in government unfortunately :(
They will do better. Martin is pretty harmless compared to

- Bertie! - and Charlie! Truly, Ffs....

tsarbomb

They will do better. Martin is pretty harmless compared to

- Bertie! - and Charlie! Truly, Ffs....
Martin was in cabinet when all those shenanigans were going on, so I don't think he'll be a safe pair of hands in the long run. In fairness to them I recon FF will do more to solve the housing issue than FG.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies