Taoiseach to make a statement to the Dáil on the economy at 5pm

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Taoiseach will make a statement to the Dáil on the economy at 5pm

Update @ 4.33 - I understand that the statement will not be about a bailout - but will be an a "restatement of where everything is at" according to my source.

Update @ 5.30 - Video of his statement to the Dáil is below, along with a response by Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiYU0bODwek"]YouTube - Brian Cowen's Statement on Irish Economic Situation[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivUG7xOcZU"]YouTube - Enda Kenny speech in the Dáil on the economic situation[/ame]

wee slabber

It will start with the words "Going forward..." the rest we'll have to wait for.

Holy Cow

General Election or IMF.

madbeatch

ohhh this does not look good, will we have turned the corner again or are we where we are going forward what rabbitt will he pull out of the hat today one wonders :)

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I would prefer to be hearing whats going on at the other meeting in Belgium. This will just be a load of waffle.

Cato

More waffle, lies, spin, irresponsibility, arse-covering, and incoherence is the most likely occurrence.

Cassandra Syndrome

A new soundbite for us to mock him with? Just got used to Frontloading and now we will have another?

constitutionus

game over methinks.

will probably announce what the **** let slip earlier on today and itll be a "bank" (see state) bailout.

SilverLining

Why bother ? Nobody is going to believe a single word he is going to say !

The Oireachtas is irrevalant and it's about time we stopped paying them all. P45's around with no severence packages, golden handshakes or pensions. They have not earned them. No election until a creible group of people are found to lead this country with honesty and integrity.

HarshBuzz

I would prefer to be hearing whats going on at the other meeting in Belgium. This will just be a load of waffle.
actually I expect to hear a clear statement that we are taking the bailout

there will undoubtedly be loads of spin and waffle (expect plenty of attempts to disguise this as being 'bank funding'), it is Biffo after all

but let's not forget that he is essentially unfurling the tricolour from the roof of Leinster House and replacing it with this:

Watcher2

Does anybody care what this idiot has to say anymore?

Why is he going to speak to the Irish people, or will he be speaking down to us?

Will we be able to believe anything this buffoon has to say?

Is this going to be some deflectionery stroke wrapped up in cute hoorism?

Jaysus, I dont really care. Sorry Dave, but I dont. No reflection on your efforts to bring us this news. Its the material you have to work with.

crashplan

The theme tune for this evenings speech will be The End sung by FF backbenchers

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end

It will go along the lines as this.

" The Irish economy has turned a corner over recent months and Fianna Fail have managed to save the Irish state from disaster. To aid in the continued health of the state and to provide help to our EU partners we have decided to accept an offer for the European Union to take control of the debts of the toxic banks.

This allows the government to get on with the hard work ahead ensuring the budget brings in the expected 6 billion worth of cuts which are vital for the continued growth of our economy.

The government are united in doing the right thing for the country and the economy and we expect to see Ireland exit recession next year."

A view from England

"We have today bailed out the EU by accepting from them a gift which we will use to help stabilise the European economies. FF, and myself especially, are glad to be helping out our European partners at this time. I have managed to persuade them that our low corporate tax rate of 20% should be maintained and that there is no need for any auditors from the IMF or ECB to look over our books from the past 10 years."

New Threads

Most Replies