Taoiseach's Nephew Jailed....

emulator

The Taoiseach's Nephew has been jailed for crimes including car theft, burglary and driving while under the influence of drugs. It seems he's been having problems as a youth and hopefully this sentence might jolt him straight.

The court heard that in February 2011, Hastings was charged with unlawful entry of a house and the theft of a small sum of money. On a later date that month he was charged with stealing two cans of cider from a local Centra.

On March 1, 2011, he was charged with entering another home of a local man and taking car keys. He then unlawfully took the car while under the influence of benzodiazepines.

He had no licence or insurance at the time.

Two months later, on May 13, 2011, he was charged with, once again, unlawfully entering a home, stealing car keys and taking the vehicle.

He had no licence or insurance at the time.

On the same date, he caused criminal damage to a wall of a local house and also stole a mountain bike.

While he remained out of trouble for close to a year, Hastings was charged with stealing a crate of Dutch Gold beer from Tesco in Swinford on May 3, 2012.
Taoiseach's nephew jailed for burglary, drugs and car theft - Independent.ie

Astral Peaks

Sign of a healthy democracy, if you ask me.

In many countries he might never have been charged, let alone gaoled.

eoghanacht

Stories like this always invoke the 'Am I my brothers keeper' response from me. They only reason a story like this is brought to national prominence is solely down to the fact of who he's related to.

BrightDay

Stories like this always invoke the 'Am I my brothers keeper' response from me. They only reason a story like this is brought to national prominence is solely down to the fact of who he's related to.
I agree - but you can't expect to use the media for spinning stories one day without expecting something like this in reply.

SeanieFitz

should we start a thread on every nephew that is jailed? and what about niece's? sexual discrimination

Expose the lot of them

Sign of a healthy democracy, if you ask me.

In many countries he might never have been charged, let alone gaoled.
In view of the fact that the offences were committed when he was a juvenile, I am surprised that he was tried as an adult. Is this standard practice? Perhaps some of p.ie's resident legal eagles would clarify this.

emulator

I'd enjoy this thread a lot more without the middle word in the OP.
That would be good alright. :)

Hopefully for the young lad benefit this might shock him into copping himself on. It seems he's been at it a while so maybe his parents need to be a little more pro-active. I have a saying regarding parenting (right or wrong) that it's like driving on a motorway, small corrections now and then instead of changing direction as they hit the barriers. I don't want to come across as making excuses for the chap but maybe he was just in poor company....

stopdoingstuff

I have known plenty of gurriers get away with much worse and never spend a day in jail. I guess he was just unlucky to be related to the Taoiseach.

Little_Korean

While he remained out of trouble for close to a year, Hastings was charged with stealing a crate of Dutch Gold beer from Tesco in Swinford on May 3, 2012.
Classy.

emulator

Are we sure this story is true? - there is no mention of it on the RTE website.
As of when I started the thread there was nothing in the IT either. I'm sure it was probably in the local paper first and then picked up by the National. Does the Independent group have a local paper around there I wonder ?

eoghanacht

BrightDay

As of when I started the thread there was nothing in the IT either. I'm sure it was probably in the local paper first and then picked up by the National. Does the Independent group have a local paper around there I wonder ?
I don't see on the IT website either. The Independent doesn't seem to like FG.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies