Tapegate!! South Africa V Australia 3rd Test Capetown

Hitchcock

Any of the cricket followers following events in Capetown? Cameron Bancroft a relative test novice it seems was encouraged to tamper with the ball by the 'leadership group' who it now seems was just captain Smith and vice captain Warner - the role of the coach Leahman is still to be clarified.

Australia ball-tampering row: The key questions facing Australian cricket - BBC Sport

Smith and Warner have temporarily been stripped of the captaincy and vice captaincy respectively but Smith has also been banned for the 4th and final test. It'll be interesting to see what happens here - I suspect Smith will not captain Australia in the short term but in all likelihood will never return as captain

It seems to have been a really tempestuous and acrimonious series with a real edge between the players on and off the field and it does seem to be coming more from the Aussie players predominantly notwithstanding some of Rabada's exuberance.

hiding behind a poster

Steven Smith is one of the most disliked men in international cricket, combining as he does a prim superciliousness about maintaining standards, with simultaneously pushing the boundaries of gamesmanship and general onfield loutishness to their limits. Not unlike Hansie Cronje, who loved to lecture others about the moral fibre of himself and his South African team, which made his downfall as enjoyable to international captains back then, as Smith's present difficulties are their successors now.

Last edited:

Hitchcock

Steven Smith is one of the most disliked men in international cricket, combining as he does a prim superciliousness about maintaining standards, while simultaneously pushing the boundaries of gamesmanship and general onfield loutishness to their limits. Not unlike Hansie Cronje, who loved to lecture others about the moral fibre of himself and his South African team, which made his downfall as enjoyable to international captains back then, as Smith's present difficulties are their successors now.
Yeah I generally agree although I think Warner isn't far behind! Lehman either was in on this or he has no control over the team 'leadership'.

hiding behind a poster

Any of the cricket followers following events in Capetown? Cameron Bancroft a relative test novice it seems was encouraged to tamper with the ball by the 'leadership group' who it now seems was just captain Smith and vice captain Warner - the role of the coach Leahman is still to be clarified.

Australia ball-tampering row: The key questions facing Australian cricket - BBC Sport

Smith and Warner have temporarily been stripped of the captaincy and vice captaincy respectively but Smith has also been banned for the 4th and final test. It'll be interesting to see what happens here - I suspect Smith will not captain Australia in the short term but in all likelihood will never return as captain

It seems to have been a really tempestuous and acrimonious series with a real edge between the players on and off the field and it does seem to be coming more from the Aussie players predominantly notwithstanding some of Rabada's exuberance.
The captaincy is an interesting one. Shane Warne supposedly never captained Australia because he failed a drugs test, so it's hard to see how they could restore Smith to the role after this.

Thoroughly amusing to see them skittled out for 107 today, too. :lol:

former wesleyan

[video=youtube;vvGHC7REkdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vvGHC7REkdM[/video]

Hitchcock

The captaincy is an interesting one. Shane Warne supposedly never captained Australia because he failed a drugs test, so it's hard to see how they could restore Smith to the role after this.

Yeah they capitulated today....I have a soft spot for the Australians - I was a big fan of the Waughs, Ponting, Taylor etc but I do think there is a thuggish side to them. There are some fine players in this side Hazelwood, Cummins, Starc etc I did think there seemed to be disconnect between much of the team and Smith/Warner today in the field.

Hitchcock

It is good to see ferociously hard competitors from Aussie teams in the past condemning the dirty tricks. No excuses, no talk about others doing it, just condemnation.
Yeah, I think they recognize Smith has crossed the line, Gilchrist was very strong.

CatullusV

Yeah, I think they recognize Smith has crossed the line, Gilchrist was very strong.
Gilchrist played at a time when Australia was so dominant that the players were told not to sledge and were told that it would be preferred if they walked on catches at the wicket rather than waiting for the umpire.

I'm reminded of a story from early in Atherton's career when he was asked to buy some chewing gum before taking the field.

When he was asked for some of the gum by a bowler he got a bollocking from the captain. The gum was sugar-free and no use for altering the ball. Sticky saliva was needed.

Michael Parkinson tells of the story about Australia v Yorkshire matches in the post-war years. One of the opening batsman's jobs was to
hit an early six into the crowd. The ball would be "polished" on the terraces by the crowd and would reemerge looking like a piece of rock.

statsman

Gilchrist played at a time when Australia was so dominant that the players were told not to sledge and were told that it would be preferred if they walked on catches at the wicket rather than waiting for the umpire.

I'm reminded of a story from early in Atherton's career when he was asked to buy some chewing gum before taking the field.

When he was asked for some of the gum by a bowler he got a bollocking from the captain. The gum was sugar-free and no use for altering the ball. Sticky saliva was needed.

Michael Parkinson tells of the story about Australia v Yorkshire matches in the post-war years. One of the opening batsman's jobs was to
hit an early six into the crowd. The ball would be "polished" on the terraces by the crowd and would reemerge looking like a piece of rock.
I remember Atherton with dirt in his pocket. Ball tampering goes on all the time, the striking thing about the Aussie incident is the sheer stupidity involved at a time when every move everyone on the field makes is caught on camera.

Cruimh

I remember Atherton with dirt in his pocket. Ball tampering goes on all the time, the striking thing about the Aussie incident is the sheer stupidity involved at a time when every move everyone on the field makes is caught on camera.
But this has more than a whiff of conspiracy about it ..... they made a young player do this - and of course his attempt to hide the tape in his box, so that he only had that hankie in his pocket when the Umpires asked was also caught on Film. The captain and other senior players and possibly the non-playing management had planned this in advance.

statsman

But this has more than a whiff of conspiracy about it ..... they made a young player do this - and of course his attempt to hide the tape in his box, so that he only had that hankie in his pocket when the Umpires asked was also caught on Film. The captain and other senior players and possibly the non-playing management had planned this in advance.
Yes, collective stupidity.

cozzy121

He had to sandpaper his ball... jebus

CatullusV

If you go back to the 70s, you had John Lever accused of ball-tampering by India during a tour of the subcontinent. In his case he'd covered a gauze with Vaseline and claimed he was using it to prevent sweat running into his eyes.

Then the Pakistanis discovered reverse-swing in the late 80s. There were rumours of the use of bottle-tops. The Aussie commentators referred to "Irish Swing" for a while.

It was a strange time to watch cricket. I remember once watching Atherton and Gooch batting reasonably comfortably against a Pakistan who were waiting for the ball to reverse. Once it started, they ran through England like a dose of salts.

Cruimh

Yes, collective stupidity.
I know it was an ill tempered series - I wonder when the plan was hatched? Stupid indeed - especially using yellow tape which showed up beautifully on film. As one Aussie bowler said - with their bowling attack they didn't need to cheat, not that it would have excused cheating if their bowlers were crap ...

DaveM

The Aussies have become completely result driven, in the same way as the West Indies Teams were in the days when they pelted their opponents with bouncer after bouncer.
That was just using the best pace attack the game has seem to its maximum effect. Only the very best in the world can cope with bowlers consistently exceeding 90mph while trying to guess whether the ball will be on a length or coming straight at their head.

This on the other hand was just plain old cheating. Give any turnip free reign with sandpaper and he'll start to generate reverse swing.

DaveM

Michael Clarke has offered to come out of retirement apparently. Seems mad at first but maybe they need a complete outsider as the "leadership group" are all tainted.

New Threads

Most Replies