• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

TASC endorses Sinn Féin budget!

davehiggz

Michael Taft of TASC endorses Sinn Féin budget!

progressive-economy@tasc: At least one party gets it

Michael Taft of TASC is endorsing the Sinn Féin budget which makes very little cuts and instead follows the populist "tax the rich" policy.

It also makes €600m available to restore the Christmas bonus and other welfare programs. Simply something we can't afford at this time.

This economic think tank and other groups would rather we keep our luxuries now and let it be paid for by future generations such as myself!

God help us if TASC holds any influence on public policy. They seem to be very popular among Labour supporters too! If this is the kind of "progressive" thought that is supposed to save us I might as well pack my bags now. The bond markets would sink us within seconds if we were to pass a budget like this.

Last edited:

turdsl

The daft Michael Taft is once proving his worth as a union "economist".

He is endorsing the Sinn Féin budget which makes very little cuts and instead follows the populist "tax the rich" policy.

It also makes €600m available to restore the Christmas bonus and other welfare programs. Simply something we can't afford at this time.

This economic think tank and other groups would rather we keep our luxuries now and let it be paid for by future generations such as myself!

God help us if TASC holds any influence on public policy. They seem to be very popular among Labour supporters too! If this is the kind of "progressive" thought that is supposed to save us I might as well pack my bags now. The bond markets would sink us within seconds if we were to pass a budget like this.
We are sunk, and it is not Sinn Fein fault.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie

The daft Michael Taft is once proving his worth as a union "economist".

He is endorsing the Sinn Féin budget which makes very little cuts and instead follows the populist "tax the rich" policy.

Would you have a problem with any of the following items Dave ?

Public spending savings of €1.2 billion.

including

Capping public sector pay at €100,000,

Reduction in professional fees working for Government agencies

Charging private patients the full economic rate in public hospitals.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Or would you have a major problem with this,

In their main plank, they are seeking a €7 billion ‘employment/infrastructure’ stimulus over the next 3-5 years with €2 billion in 2011; all to be funded from National Pension Reserve Fund (NPRF). They are seeking to create 160,000 jobs.

Including infrastructural projects such as...

. focus on the more labour intensive and necessary infrastructure, such as schools, hospitals, conversion of appropriate vacant accommodation to social housing, improving energy efficiency in homes and public transport provision . . . remediating the leaking water network and extending the current pilot water collection scheme to all schools, thus saving costs on water and creating jobs; and rolling out broadband across the state.

SFInbhear

In their main plank, they are seeking a €7 billion ‘employment/infrastructure’ stimulus over the next 3-5 years with €2 billion in 2011; all to be funded from National Pension Reserve Fund (NPRF). They are seeking to create 160,000 jobs.

. focus on the more labour intensive and necessary infrastructure, such as schools, hospitals, conversion of appropriate vacant accommodation to social housing, improving energy efficiency in homes and public transport provision . . . remediating the leaking water network and extending the current pilot water collection scheme to all schools, thus saving costs on water and creating jobs; and rolling out broadband across the state.
It will be good to get the Construction industry up and running once more. This industry helps halt emigration as our skilled workers will have oppurtunities at home. Also it will also create a knock on effect on the local economy which will help save and create jobs in cafes, shops etc.

Kerrygold

Michael Taft hasn't endorsed it, but has asked for some reasoned debate around the specific proposals.

And thats probably the daftest thing he'll ever say! Reasoned debate is not on the agenda when it comes to those who hate the Shinners so much that they can't even see when they have good ideas.

Just keep on ignoring them, like ye did in 2007.

davehiggz

including

We need more than €1.2bn in public spending savings. Even with Labour's 50/50 approach we'll need at least €2bn for a €4bn budget and I believe the FG approach of 3:1 is better so at least €3bn in cuts.

€100k is too low for a cap as we need to attract talented people to run department heads. They'll be lost to private sector positions otherwise. I'd prefer a cap of 200k or 250k. The Taoiseach should be less than €200k.

Professional fees should be reduced but it's not going to generate a whole lot of money.

Charging private patients more is just going to force people back onto the public system costing us more. It's a stupid idea. We need to move to universal health care. It seems Sinn Féin would rather keep the two tier system?

Fine Gael has already proposed a stimulus package. Ours is €18bn to create 100,000 jobs yet SF thinks it can get 160,000 jobs out of €7bn??

I hope SF have sent their to places like the World Bank and other institutions to have their figures verified, because that's what Simon Coveney did with our stimulus plan.

SF is more concerned with social infrastructure like Hospitals and Social Housing. These investments won't have the knock off jobs that would happen if we invested in renewable energy, something that seems lacking in the SF plan. We need to focus on energy, transport broadband and once we have investment we can use that money for schools and hospitals.

Michael Taft hasn't endorsed it, but has asked for some reasoned debate around the specific proposals.

And thats probably the daftest thing he'll ever say! Reasoned debate is not on the agenda when it comes to those who hate the Shinners so much that they can't even see when they have good ideas.

Just keep on ignoring them, like ye did in 2007.
He said that they're the only party who "gets it". That's enough of an endorsement for me.

If SF can produce a credible and believable budget plan then I'll applaud it. However as long as they play the populist game they won't have my backing! And yes, I will continue to ignore them until they come around to economic reality. You can't tax your way out of recession!!

grafter1

I would happily engage in a debate with SF, Taft our anyone based on this after they explain how we'll borrow the 20-24Bn we need for 2011.

Until that is addressed everything else goes out the window.

SinnShane

Wait a sec... One of our leading economists is an economic illiterate???
How did he get all those degrees and fancy Phd's then, I wonder??
The Provos probably roughed up the Dean, I guess.

DeputyEdo

Obviously nobodies told you.....sorry to have to break this to you...but.....regardless of who's budget you look at, it's all going to be paid for by future generations.

Kerrygold

Best not to sink us further!!
We are sinking further! Have you been living under a rock.

And its FF/Green policies that are sinking us.

The cuts haven't worked, what do we do? Cut some more. Cutting more hasn't worked, what shall we do now? Cut a bit more.....

Economic illiterates indeed.:roll:

new jewell

I don't think they endorsed it but said it was going in the right direction,and at least they put a pre budget proposal together unlike Labour.I also liked the submission by the Unemployed Organisation, as in it they state that more than a BILLION could be recouped by scrapping some tax reliefs that are now serving no purpose.Leaving any in place that create employment.These are alternative proposals that we ar'nt hearing properly debated on mainstream media

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

including

I think that charging all patients the full economic cost of hospital visits with thee state underwriting the full or partial cost (depending on income) for those who can't afford it would be good. However, we'd have to have a health system designed to track those costs first, and we don't have that.

davehiggz

Obviously nobodies told you.....sorry to have to break this to you...but.....regardless of who's budget you look at, it's all going to be paid for by future generations.
We run up larger interest bills the longer we borrow. We have to adjust now or we'll pass MORE to future generations.

The cuts haven't worked, what do we do? Cut some more. Cutting more hasn't worked, what shall we do now? Cut a bit more.....

And you think that taxing will help us more than more cuts......

Taxing our way out has NEVER worked EVER in the world. Cutting has bridged the gap between spending and taxes. A further budget of cuts will lead us closer to recovery. We have NOT turned the corner yet but we won't be any closer to prosperity by taxing people to the hilt.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

We are sinking further! Have you been living under a rock.

And its FF/Green policies that are sinking us.

Somehow dave thinks that capping maximum wages is bad for the economy while cutting the minimum wage is good for it.

Yet he calls others illiterates.

Michael Taft

Website
www.notesonthefront.typepad.com
I'd just like to point out that the opinions I expressed on Progressive-Economy re: Sinn Fein's pre-budget submission are mine. In that respect, the title of this thread is incorrect and should be amended - TASC has expressed no opinion on the Sinn Fein submistion.

Support for the broad thrust of this or any other submission does not imply support for all the details - as anyone reading my post would see. However, it is important that we remain open to alternatives and debate them constructively. After all, we have had two years of fiscal contraction totalling approximately €12 billion. The deficit is still rising, bond yields are rising and growth projections are being slashed. Maybe we should look at other options than just hoping that another €12 billion will result in something qualitatively different.

davehiggz

Somehow dave thinks that capping maximum wages is bad for the economy while cutting the minimum wage is good for it.

Yet he calls others illiterates.
Capping max wages just leaves more profit for the business which will only be taxed at 12.5%. At least a person earning million euro salaries pays over 50% of the in taxes!

Of course reducing the minimum wage is good for an economy. Its a law that is preventing jobs being created today. There's plenty of workers who are willing to work for less than the minimum wage and there are employers who have the capacity to employ more people but won't because they are forced to pay €8.65 for their existing workers.

Businesses can't afford the minimum wage and the government can't afford to keep 450,000 people on the dole. We can kill two birds with one stone and give people the dignity of work in the process.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

We run up larger interest bills the longer we borrow. We have to adjust now or we'll pass MORE to future generations.

And you think that taxing will help us more than more cuts......

Taxing our way out has NEVER worked EVER in the world. Cutting has bridged the gap between spending and taxes. A further budget of cuts will lead us closer to recovery. We have NOT turned the corner yet but we won't be any closer to prosperity by taxing people to the hilt.
Hang on a second. By your reasoning then, the last 3 budgets should have brought us closer to recovery. NEWSFLASH!! They have made things worse. The cuts are not working.

Do you actually believe what you say or is it FG's desire to bow to EU pressure re the 2014 target?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies