Tasers are they non lethal enough?

silverharp

Well known ex footballer died as a result of the use of a Taser, based on the details he appeared to be possibly drunk and was non compliant with the police but hadn't actually attacked them and no suggestion he was armed. Clearly mace, batons etc can lead to a death as well but in this case the taser seems to have been for convenience. should the protocols over when they are used be tightened up. Personally I wouldn't like to be a few beers away from a police induced heart attack.

Dalian Atkinson dies after being Tasered in Telford by police - BBC News

Former footballer Dalian Atkinson has died after being shot with a Taser by police in Shropshire.

West Mercia Police said officers responded to a report of concern for the safety of a man at about 01:30 BST in the Trench area of Telford.

A Taser was used on the 48-year-old man and after receiving medical help, he was pronounced dead at about 03:00.

During a 16-year career, the striker played for Aston Villa, Ipswich Town and Sheffield Wednesday.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/aug/15/man-dies-taser-shooting-by-police-in-telford-west-mercia

The IPCC confirmed it has launched an investigation. In a statement itsaid: “At this stage the IPCC is aware a Taser was used on the man before he became ill. The ambulance service attended but the man later died.

tsarbomb

They can be lethal to people with heart conditions or other medical problems.

No form of physical force coercion is truly 100% non-lethal. People have been known to die while being simply restrained for instance. Its really a problem without a solution.

Roisin3

They can be lethal and too often I think police resort to them too early. Remember a Polish man dying at Vancouver airport a few years ago as he was tased repeatedly, and there were certainly enough burly cops surrounding him to not have to resort to tasing. Possibly one of the worst examples I can think of was police tasing a heavily pregnant woman.

Truth.ie

No evidence the tazer was the sole cause of death.
He had heart and kidney problems, was full of drink and drugs and was seen stumbling before being tazered.

GDPR

No evidence the tazer was the sole cause of death.
He had heart and kidney problems, was full of drink and drugs and was seen stumbling before being tazered.
Why bother to have an inquest then?

Truth.ie has spoken :)

gijoe

Have BLM been on the case yet?? At least they have an actual case in the UK now....I bet they are delighted.

GDPR

Tasers were introduced in the UK on the premise that they would be used only as an alternative to shooting people by armed response officers.

At the time I said they would end up being used simply as a means of enforcing compliance to police orders. The police lie, and they lie a lot...and often.

Truth.ie

Why bother to have an inquest then?

Truth.ie has spoken :)
Actually, its the 3 or 4 posts previous to mine that you should have picked up on.
I was the one who mentioned "no evidence" and urged caution whilst others were not.
But bungling about legal matters is a trait of yours.

GDPR

Actually, its the 3 or 4 posts previous to mine that you should have picked up on.
I was the one who mentioned "no evidence" and urged caution whilst others were not.
But bungling about legal matters is a trait of yours.
Pie is a legal forum now, Ger? :)

Watcher2

Aye, the police should just shout "Stop, police" and then put the cuffs on. No need for anything else, right?

Polly Ticks

Very sad. For him, and also for the police who surely did not go out to work expecting to end up killing someone, albeit unintentionally.

"Usually Non-Lethal" doesn't have the same ring to it. Try sending a rubber bullet salesman out with that as his pitch.

Someone will eventually solve the problem of how to incapacitate a person without causing them any harm.. can't come soon enough.

Rubber bullets are discussed a bit in the US.. usually referred to as a non-lethal alternative. Of course, they are better than traditional bullets, but as NI (and more recent instances with "improved" rubber buller tech) showed, they are far from non-lethal.

"Less Lethal" about sums up the sick comedy of it.

silverharp

Tasers were introduced in the UK on the premise that they would be used only as an alternative to shooting people by armed response officers.

At the time I said they would end up being used simply as a means of enforcing compliance to police orders. The police lie, and they lie a lot...and often.
as an alternative to lethal , this definitely fails the test in this case

GDPR

as an alternative to lethal , this definitely fails the test in this case

Oh, as a resident of the jolly Old You of Kay, I am well aware of how the police like to use tasers.

A couple of years ago they stunned a partially sighted OAP because they mistook his white stick for a samurai sword.

Polly Ticks

Nightmare future.. drones fitted with tasers

[video=youtube;MzKvTPmv8z4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzKvTPmv8z4[/video]

artfoley56

A couple of years ago they stunned a partially sighted OAP because they mistook his white stick for a samurai sword.
he didn't see that coming

......gets coat and goes straight to hell

Roisin3

Meh, these drones as law enforcement are a joke. Use a big stick and swat them.

maxflinn

You'd probably have geeky teenagers taking control of them via their iPads and making them attack the cops instead.

Polly Ticks

Meh, these drones as law enforcement are a joke. Use a big stick and swat them.
I agree regarding those particular lightweight, consumer drones, but at least one state legalized weaponized drones

North Dakota Legalizes Armed Police Drones : The Two-Way : NPR

With the passage of a new law earlier this year, North Dakota has become the first state to legalize law enforcement use of armed drones.

Though the law limits the type of weapons permitted to those of the "less than lethal" variety — weapons such as tear gas, rubber bullets, beanbags, pepper spray and Tasers — the original bill actually aimed to ensure that no weapons at all were allowed on law enforcement drones.

The sponsor of the original bill, Republican state Rep. Rick Becker, said he wasn't happy with how that part of the law turned out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies