Tattoos shouldn't be a barrier to hiring?

silverharp

I dont know if an employer group saying this will make any difference but there will be employment consequences for people who have tattoos , its a big no no to have visible tattoos in various white collar jobs and most professions and plenty others. So should "society" promote tattoo acceptance or penalise people who contribute to making themselves unemployable or simply say nothing and leave it to cultural ebb and flows?

Tattoos shouldn't be a barrier to hiring, says employer advice group - BBC News

Employers have been warned they could be missing out on top staff because they are rejecting candidates with tattoos.
The conciliation service Acas said negative attitudes about visible tattoos are outdated.
Employers could be drastically reducing the pool of potential recruits because so many young people now have tattoos, Acas said.
It said employers should be thinking about relaxing dress codes in general.
A Yougov poll in 2015 suggested that nearly a fifth of UK adults have had tattoos, with those under 40 significantly more likely to have them.

Last edited:

GDPR

I dont know if an employer group saying this will make any difference but there will be employment consequences for people who have tattoos , its a big no no to have visible tattoos in various white collar jobs and most professions and plenty others. So should "society" promote tattoo acceptance or penalise people who contribute to making themselves unemployable or simply say nothing and leave it to cultural ebb and flows?

Tattoos shouldn't be a barrier to hiring, says employer advice group - BBC News
I would disagree.
Anyone who gets a visible tattoo given the known consequences has to be just a little bit stupid and on that basis alone I wouldn't take them on.

Watcher2

I cant understand the fascination with tattoos, and even less so with body art - the big complex tattoos covering arms, shoulders, chests, backs etc and sometimes all of the above.

It does show a certain lack of judgement skills if you get them done and then cry off that you cant get the job you want. Office jobs in general, and professional jobs in particular, frown on tattoos because many clients, the bread and butter, frown on them. It matters njot a whit whe5ther that is fair or not, its just the way it is.

*EPIC SUCCESS*

They shouldn't be, they are. Most people who get visible tattoos have no interest in working in places like banks etc.

Bit of a non story to be honest.

silverharp

They shouldn't be, they are. Most people who get visible tattoos have no interest in working in places like banks etc.

Bit of a non story to be honest.
you would also be ruled out of a low of lower end jobs too, waiter and other front of house jobs in various sectors. An 18 year old doesn't know for sure what they will be doing in 10 or 20 years?

corporal punishment

Depends on the tattoo. Facial tattoo's should be a complete no no, acab or those classy mam dad ones on the hand, again, don't call us we'll call you. Anything else. I'd be fine with.

Clanrickard

I would disagree.
Anyone who gets a visible tattoo given the known consequences has to be just a little bit stupid and on that basis alone I wouldn't take them on.
Precisely. Tattoos are tacky and frankly mark you out as a scumbag.

cabledude

My wife has a butterly tattoo on her ankle as a mark to her deceased mother. My wife is not a scumbag......

Truth.ie

Tattoos on a woman are a deal breaker for me.
I wince when I see them.
Especially those Amy Winehouse, hipster type tattoos.

Bill

Depends on the tattoo. Facial tattoo's should be a complete no no, acab or those classy mam dad ones on the hand, again, don't call us we'll call you. Anything else. I'd be fine with.
arse antlers look stupid too

Gin Soaked

Not everyone with a tat is a chav, but you are way more likely to have a chip on your shoulder if you have a tat and are more likely to be a bit (ahem) uncouth. ...

So easier to screen them out.

And if the tat is somewhere you can't hide, you are clearly a moron or damaged goods...

Watcher2

In fairness, interviews are rubbish. They are false. No way can you get to know a person during an interview. You can of course get some sense but its only a minor gauge. Things like tattoos, dripping with jewelry (men and women), attire etc are all clues as to the type of person you might be dealing with. Anyone can make up an answer to a question or series of questions, but "hard @ass" tattooed across knuckles gives a good insight into a personality.

between the bridges

Visible tattoos are often a cry for attention, hidden tattoo's like moi's 'Welcome to Northern Ireland the Jewel of the British Isles' (tbh ye can only see the 'W' on a cold day) are often a sense of self validation...

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Not so much a scumbag (unless it's a swallow between your thumb and forefinger). These days, mostly, it marks you out as someone desperately conformist and desperate to fit in.

New Threads

Most Replies