Tax deductible fees to Trade Unions

darkhorse

Should fees paid to trade unions be:
a) tax deductible
b) decucted at source from the public service
What is about trade union fees that is more valuable to the nation than say, gym membership or sky sports which are not tax deductible?
What is the advantage to the state if we all contribute to trade unions?
Is this not something that should be stopped immediatly given their threats shut down the nation if they dont get their way in this crisis?

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Personally, I think a lot of tax reliefs need to be looked at. Take the subsidised bus tickets - why should well-off workers pay less for their bus transport than poorer workers or the unemployed? Similarly, why should well-paid workers have their union subscriptions subsidised while an organisation for the unemployed would have no such benefit?

As regards whether or not they should be deducted at source, this may be convenient for the unions but it may be unnecessarily giving the employers a weapon in the case of a dispute. Unions would be in a stronger position if the money was coming directly from their members accounts.

darkhorse

Personally, I think a lot of tax reliefs need to be looked at. Take the subsidised bus tickets - why should well-off workers pay less for their bus transport than poorer workers or the unemployed? Similarly, why should well-paid workers have their union subscriptions subsidised while an organisation for the unemployed would have no such benefit?

As regards whether or not they should be deducted at source, this may be convenient for the unions but it may be unnecessarily giving the employers a weapon in the case of a dispute. Unions would be in a stronger position if the money was coming directly from their members accounts.
I dont believe there is any tax relief on bus tickets but check out this link if I am wrong
Tax Credits, Reliefs and Rates for the Tax Years 2009 and 2010 - IT1
Either way there is no comparison as the bus company are unlikely to take action to shut down the entire country.
Having trade union fees deducted at source is a massive advantage to trade unions.
Public servants, like anyone else, are very unlikely to write out a cheque to unions to pay their trade union - when faced with the choice of a night out or whatever.
There is no reason why the state should accommodate the unions in this way - let them fight for their subscriptions like everyone else.

dresden8

Should fees paid to trade unions be:
a) tax deductible
b) decucted at source from the public service
What is about trade union fees that is more valuable to the nation than say, gym membership or sky sports which are not tax deductible?
What is the advantage to the state if we all contribute to trade unions?
Is this not something that should be stopped immediatly given their threats shut down the nation if they dont get their way in this crisis?
I think you'll find the government decided not to look at tax reliefs etc purely to concentrate on an attack on the public sector and social welfare recipients.

Care to remember the commission on taxation and the Bord Snip Nua report?

darkhorse

I think you'll find the government decided not to look at tax reliefs etc purely to concentrate on an attack on the public sector and social welfare recipients.

Care to remember the commission on taxation and the Bord Snip Nua report?
The question is what is your view of the correctness of
a) tax refief on union subs
b) union subs deducted at source from the ps
i already have a good idea of where the government stand on this

PatsyOriel

Great news that tax relief on Union memberhsip fees is to be abolished

dalywise

Why shouls PAYE people benefit from this when retired and self-employed people do not. It's grossly unfair.

lff12

Having trade union fees deducted at source is a massive advantage to trade unions.
Not anymore than deducting VHI or BUPA at source is.

I would suggest that Union dues should be cheaper: the unions themselves would increase membership if workers felt they were getting more. And don't start me on how willing unions have been to collude with union-blocking - they are more than happy to leave non-union workers hanging out to dry while picking the low hanging fruit at traditionally organised workplaces.

As for the taxsaver ticket, its only really relevant in Dublin where there is even a remote possibility of community by public transport. I spent 8 out of the last 10 years in Cork where commuting came with extreme difficulty and very high expense, in the end it was far cheaper to drive to work because of the cost. I did try at a couple of points, but a 12 mile one way commute at one point took 4 times longer by public transport and a different 5 mile trip at another was about twice as long by public transport but considerably more expensive, even when taking tax/insurance. There may be some small exceptions for certain train journeys, but on the whole commuting by Bus Eireann is extremely expensive compared to driving, even at todays petrol prices.

The only comment I would have on taxsaver is that it does, for those who use it, manage to bring the cost of using transport over driving to less than driving. For me, if there was no tax break, even with having to pay 6 euros per day to park, it would be marginally cheaper to drive to work.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies