Tax? ''IRA, Over there, over there'' - Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2's bizarre tribute to the British Army

Antóin Mac Comháin

Tax? ''IRA, Over there, over there'' - Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2's bizarre tribute to the British Army

1st Bloody Sunday, 1913

2nd Bloody Sunday, 1920

3rd Bloody Sunday, 1972

“No one loves peace more than those who've fought for it,” announced Bono, dedicating Sunday Bloody Sunday to the military.

Mayor Sadiq Kahn enthusiastically introduced the band and Bono returned the compliment, hailing London as the greatest city in the world. “And coming from an Irishman, that's a serious compliment,” he stressed. - https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjGgtuOqsHXAhXFAcAKHQYrDAcQFggmMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fmusic%2Fwhat-to-listen-to%2Fu2-celebrate-peace-unity-remembrance-day-performance-trafalgar%2F&usg=AOvVaw2DMBi8WzWLD1GDjfQse3P-

Bono releases statement after being named in ‘Paradise Papers’ tax leak

U2 frontman describes himself as "extremely distressed" over reports

Bono has issued a statement after being named in the ‘Paradise Papers’ leak. It has been claimed that he used a company based in Malta to invest in a Lithuanian shopping centre, allegations he describes as “distressing”.

Following the claims, Bono has now released a statement, saying he would be “extremely distressed if even as a passive minority investor… anything less than exemplary was done with my name anywhere near it.” He added: “I take this stuff very seriously. I have campaigned for the beneficial ownership of offshore companies to be made transparent. Indeed this is why my name is on documents rather than in a trust.”

Despite being well known for his extensive charity work, Bono has previously faced backlash over his tax dealings, with critics claiming that he could have helped to eliminate poverty if U2’s tax base remained based in Ireland.

Two years ago, Bono dismissed the criticism as “just some smart people we have working for us trying to be sensible about the way we’re taxed. And that’s just one of our companies, by the way. There’s loads of companies”.
Read more at Bono releases statement after being named in 'Paradise Papers' tax leak - NME

Antóin Mac Comháin

On U2's "Songs of Innocence," you get what you pay for (and more ...
http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/forum/culture-community/forum/culture-community/www.latimes.com/.../la-et-ms-on-u2-songs-of-innocence-review-20140910...In the case of U2 , a band with 13 documented and doted-upon ... when simultaneous IRA bombings in Dublin and Monaghan killed 33 people.

''The menace lies elsewhere, and the band is at its best when in expansion mode. "Raised by Wolves" recalls the 1970s trauma that overwhelmed U2's homeland one Friday at dusk, when simultaneous IRA bombings in Dublin and Monaghan killed 33 people.''

''And on "Raised By Wolves," the group contributes their most overtly political track to the song. With ominous whispers and huffs punctuating the background, Bono references a 1974 IRA car bombing and sings, "Blood in the house, blood on the street/worst things in the world are justified by belief." It's a powerful track and shows that for all that people complain about Bono's arrogance, he (and they) can still deliver a knockout rock song with a message.''

Read more at 411mania.com: Music - U2 - Songs of Innocence Review

''The aptly named “Songs of Innocence,” produced by Danger Mouse, with additional production by Ryan Tedder, Paul Epworth, Flood, and Declan Gaffney, is a song cycle that draws on the band members’ past— a time when they first met and everything was possible. It pays tribute to their influences (The Ramones, The Clash, The Beach Boys), first loves, growing up in the shadow of IRA violence, and the fallout of tough economic times. Bono’s vocals sound fresh and invigorated and the production sparkles. It’s a lovely album that is sentimental without ever losing its edge.''

Read more at Album review: U2s Songs of Innocence

“Raised By Wolves”: Driving track framed around a 1974 car bombing that killed 33 people in Dublin. “I’m in a white van as a red sea covers/metal crash I can’t tell what it is,” Bono sings. “The worst things in the world are justified by belief,” he adds, a very strong statement for someone who has always worn his religious convictions on his sleeve. The skittering track is propelled by sharp keyboards and Mullen’s relentless beat. GRADE: B+''

Read more at Album review: U2s Songs of Innocence

NB - The UVF were responsible for the Dublin and Monoghan bombings, and Bono was a member of Fine Gael Youth. The FG-Labour government of 1973-1977, colluded with the British government in a cover-up.

TheWolf

Jaysus, another one.
Zoo.

Karloff

He was happy to use the atrocity to promote his career at a certain stage and these comments prove that's all he was doing with the theme of Bloody Sunday.

They wrote a whole load of stuff in the Joshua tree about the US in Latin America etc - likewise there it likely means ************************ to him if he even understands now what he was saying back then.

Whatever the latest fashionable thing is, he would try and use it.

Do not look deeply into Bono, that is a mistake.

TheWolf

He was happy to use the atrocity to promote his career at a certain stage and these comments prove that's all he was doing with the theme of Bloody Sunday.

They wrote a whole load of stuff in the Joshua tree about the US in Latin America etc - likewise there it likely means ************************ to him if he even understands now what he was saying back then.

Whatever the latest fashionable thing is, he would try and use it.

Do not look deeply into Bono, that is a mistake.
He is also a campaigner for the 'Justice for the Forgotten' group who are trying to get justice for the people murdered by the brits in Dublin/Monaghan.

former wesleyan

Such demented nonsense.

Antóin Mac Comháin

He is also a campaigner for the 'Justice for the Forgotten' group who are trying to get justice for the people murdered by the brits in Dublin/Monaghan.
That's why he dedicated Sunday Bloody Sunday to the British Army?

FFG - The Disgusting Axis of Corruption? Bono was a member of Fine Gael Youth.

Karloff

He is first and foremost a campaigner for Bono.

It happens a lot, a global superstar, fame remains but no new adoration, no new source of worship no decent albums in decades. Ego craves. Some go off their trolley like M Jackson, some die from drugs like Prince and W Housten or E Presley. Some go into political grandstanding.

But Bono has been using 'issues' to promote himself and U2 for decades now. He is smarter and more cogent than most the way he uses things. When he met T Blair the latter must have wondered how he is more Blair than Blair.

Man or Mouse

That's why he dedicated Sunday Bloody Sunday to the British Army?

FFG - The Disgusting Axis of Corruption? Bono was a member of Fine Gael Youth.
Was that the Blueshirt division or the nutty fruitcake division?

DexterGreen22

Bono's at it.

Britain ain't fighting for peace anywhere, Britain's was fighting for selfish reasons in Ireland and the world over.

Britain's not unique in that regard, the Russians, the Dutch, the French, the Mongols etc all have.

But Britain is much better at lying about their reasons for fighting than most (probably better than anyone).

I wonder if the Brits cut Bono in and he knows they're lying? Or if Bono genuinely sees Britain as fighting for peace. I might hope it's the former and not the latter, it's easier to forgive lying than being naive at times.

statsman

Care in the community, P.ie style.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You have to have a fairly large ego to front a band on stage. Some people's egos just explode with celebrity.

The signs with Bono are that he always regarded himself as something of a prophet. Bonocorp Inc is no different to all that.

Probably dogwhistling for a CBE or something. He's gone off New York these days ever since his fairly disastrous foray into the privatisation of international aid with the One Foundation or whatever it was called when a senior employee internatonally aided himself and disappeared with some loot belonging to foreign aid budgets.

Bono at this stage must have an ego the size of a zeppelin and it appears impregnable to darts.

There's only one thing for it. We'll have to pour more resources into exoplanetary research so we can set up a new colony for him.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'm always a bit suspicious of people in the celebrity business who wear sunglasses all the time.

I suspect it is because they are trying to hide the fact that they are full to the eyeballs with some prescription drug and that the pupils of their eyes are so dilated they look weird.

Bono doesn't need drugs of course. He probably just taps into his own divinity.

edg

It’s only Bono. Who cares? People in the know are aware that they are just a cheap piiss poor commercial copy of The Sound. They’ll do ANYTHING to keep themselves in the red tops.

This is The Sound... An original and excellent band. Album below from 1981.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n2y_l7DmnS8

Karloff

It’s only Bono. Who cares? People in the know are aware that they are just a cheap piiss poor commercial copy of The Sound. They’ll do ANYTHING to keep themselves in the red tops.

Don't agree with that opinion of U2, U2's work in the 80's and early 90's was artistically excellent. We should separate the two.

Even if he was just playing around with the themes used (and what U2 'stands for'), from a sonic point of view it was excellent.

I'm always a bit suspicious of people in the celebrity business who wear sunglasses all the time.
I read that he has light sensitivity.

edg

Don't agree with that opinion of U2, U2's work in the 80's and early 90's was artistically excellent. We should separate the two.

Even if he was just playing around with the themes used (and what U2 'stands for'), from a sonic point of view it was excellent.

I read that he has light sensitivity.
If The Sound never existed there would be no U2. I say that as an owner of a few U2 records. Yes, U2 were very artistic but not very original. If that makes sense? They took other people’s sonic and song structure and passed it off to the masses. It annoys me that Bono has any sort of political sway while other, far better bands are left in obscurity.

JCR

That sounds like the same era of music as when Bono et al "broke through" as they say but not really like them so much. Sounds more like a miss of Echo and the Bunnymen and something like Depeche Mode than U2.

As regards the OP, its really pushing the realms of giving out and going headlong into spite really.

RepublicOfLuas

I suspect it is because they are trying to hide the fact that they are full to the eyeballs with some prescription drug and that the pupils of their eyes are so dilated they look weird.

Bono doesn't need drugs of course. He probably just taps into his own divinity.
He's got glaucoma.

Henry94.

The test for any album is its appeal to new generations. Give any kid with an ear for good stuff a listen to Blonde On Blonde and they get it. I don’t see that happening with U2. They people who like them are the people who always liked them. It’s just part of the soundtrack of a certain time in their lives.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies