Tax Relief on Health Insurance May be Phased Out

General Urko

I have always said that having to pay health Insurance, as we do in this country, unlike the vast majority of our fellow EU Citizens, is a savage and completely wrong imposition on Irish People! We pay USC and PRSI and PAYE, so it's again already paid for!
However, retaining it and getting rid of the associated tax credit, which could amount to a loss of upto €600 per year for many hard working families is really extracting the urine!
But the Oireachtas Committee on the future of health care, according to The Indo, may well recommend this for active consideration by one of the many great Blueshirt intellectuals, Minister Simon Harris!

Quote -

'The Oireachtas Committee on the Future of Healthcare will argue that the tax relief is effectively a subsidy for private insurance firms and should be scrapped, the Irish Independent can reveal.'

Revealed: Tens of thousands of health insurance customers face significant hikes under controversial plan - Independent.ie

Again, it shows how far removed from reality these clowns are and the urgent need to slash their wages, perks and pensions!

Also they may call for the reduction in prescription charges of €2.50, which goes only to a max of €20 or so per month down to 50 cents per item, thus a lot of folk who have never done a formal day's work in their lives will benefit at the expense of people who slave every day! Indeed, a few in that situation would have developed their illnesses due to sitting down on their holes doing nothing to improve their lives all day every day!

damus

I have always said that having to pay health Insurance, as we do in this country, unlike the vast majority of our fellow EU Citizens, is a savage and completely wrong imposition on Irish People! We pay USC and PRSI and PAYE, so it's again already paid for!
However, retaining it and getting rid of the associated tax credit, which could amount to a loss of upto €600 per year for many hard working families is really extracting the urine!
But the Oireachtas Committee on the future of health care, according to The Indo, may well recommend this for active consideration by one of the many great Blueshirt intellectuals, Minister Simon Harris!

Quote -

'The Oireachtas Committee on the Future of Healthcare will argue that the tax relief is effectively a subsidy for private insurance firms and should be scrapped, the Irish Independent can reveal.'

Revealed: Tens of thousands of health insurance customers face significant hikes under controversial plan - Independent.ie

Again, it shows how far removed from reality these clowns are and the urgent need to slash their wages, perks and pensions!

Also they may call for the reduction in prescription charges of €2.50, which goes only to a max of €20 or so per month down to 50 cents per item, thus a lot of folk who have never done a formal day's work in their lives will benefit at the expense of people who slave every day! Indeed, a few in that situation would have developed their illnesses due to sitting down on their holes doing nothing to improve their lives all day every day!
Shut up, you can afford it!

Spanner Island

It would be more than twice the water tax!
Yeah but it would target the right people innit?

The freeloading class would be taken care of as always while the barely coping/coping classes would be the ones getting it up the hole yet again...

Of course we shouldn't need to have health insurance in order to mentally protect ourselves from what is constantly and consistently portrayed as a shambolic public health system...

But sure f*** that... just keep on screwing middle Ireland while the freeloaders and the rich carry on oblivious...

I think this proposal is part of a wider overhaul... but as this is Ireland I would fully expect the easy punitive bits to be implemented while any improvements or things that cost money or upset any workers etc. remain conspicuous by their absence.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Yeah but it would target the right people innit?

The freeloading class would be taken care of as always while the barely coping/coping classes would be the ones getting it up the hole yet again...

Of course we shouldn't need to have health insurance in order to mentally protect ourselves from what is constantly and consistently portrayed as a shambolic public health system...

But sure f*** that... just keep on screwing middle Ireland while the freeloaders and the rich carry on oblivious...

Under the current two-tier system, the "freeloaders" can wait months and years to get appointments for examination, let alone treatment. They can die or significantly worsen or experience unnecessary pain while waiting.

Meanwhile, those "coping" classes with health insurance, can get near instant appointments and treatment.

Spanner Island

Under the current two-tier system, the "freeloaders" can wait months and years to get appointments for examination, let alone treatment. They can die or significantly worsen or experience unnecessary pain while waiting.

Meanwhile, those "coping" classes with health insurance, can get near instant appointments and treatment.
What's your point?

That the entire system is f***ed up?

Sure everyone knows that.

I had reason to attend A&E recently enough and gotta say it was fine....

Watcher2

Not in my experience.

Sister Mercedes

Roisin Shorthall says she wants Nordic public services, then completely ignores that the Nordic tax system would place much high tax burdens on the lower paid.

Analyzer

Another example if how FG are becomming more like the maFFia.

Bailouts for everybody except those on PAYE.

Sister Mercedes

Private healthcare just means you're charged €800 a night for your trolley in the corridor instead of €80 for everyone else.

Spanner Island

Not in my experience.
Tis the mantra though... those with health insurance are on easy street etc. while those who freeload are hard pressed and downtrodden...

I know people who cling to their health insurance and forego all sorts in order to do that... people who don't go on holiday while many of the freeloaders clog up the bar at Dublin Airport heading off to the sun...

Health insurance is not a luxury in the Ireland of 2017.

Mushroom

For me the last line of that II report is the one that makes the most sense:-

"If the public system was functioning properly you could justify this, but it is not."

So first fix the Health System (for which the people with private health care are already paying) and then phase out the tax credit.

But with Club Retard members making up the majority of the Committee, they'll probably insist on putting the begrudgery cart in front of the commonsense horse! Thereby putting more pressure on public health system because more people will have to use it.

Last edited:

Watcher2

What's your point?

That the entire system is f***ed up?

Sure everyone knows that.

I had reason to attend A&E recently enough and gotta say it was fine....
It must not have been for anything too serious then and you must have hit it at a very unbusy time.

I had to go about a year ago by my GP. I knew I did not need to go but since it was "chest pains" he made me go. Not a cardiac issue and I knew it wasn't. It took seven bloody hours to get me through. The treatments I received were:

ECG upon arrival
chest xray about half way through
two chats with a doctor (2 doctors because it straddled shifts)

SEVEN bloody hours.

Oh, and I knew it wasn't a cardiac issue because the pains and my symptoms contained none of the other signs of cardiac problems. Even the nurse that performed the ECG knew it was not cardiac related.

hurling_lad

Quote -

The money to fund our water infrastructure deficit needs to be raised somehow, so expect more increases in general taxation like this.

Watcher2

Private healthcare just means you're charged €800 a night for your trolley in the corridor instead of €80 for everyone else.
That's only because people are stupid. They sign the form allowing the hospital to do this. Stop signing forms without asking for an explanation as to each form. Informed consent is an essential legal right everyone has when it comes to their treatment by health professionals. Its probaby the most important right yet people couldn't be @rsed enforcing it.

Watcher2

Tis the mantra though... those with health insurance are on easy street etc. while those who freeload are hard pressed and downtrodden...

I know people who cling to their health insurance and forego all sorts in order to do that... people who don't go on holiday while many of the freeloaders clog up the bar at Dublin Airport heading off to the sun...

Health insurance is not a luxury in the Ireland of 2017.
True. But health insurance is very important if you can afford it. In many instances you don't get instant access but you do get quicker access especially if you dot stick to just one hospital. Many consultants and surgeons practice in different hospitals. One of my children would have had to wait a month for a treatment with the consultant in one hospital but the same consultants list a week later was free in a different hospital. He was in pain so waiting the month was not an option.

Mushroom

It must not have been for anything too serious then and you must have hit it at a very unbusy time.

I had to go about a year ago by my GP. I knew I did not need to go but since it was "chest pains" he made me go. Not a cardiac issue and I knew it wasn't. It took seven bloody hours to get me through. The treatments I received were:

ECG upon arrival
chest xray about half way through
two chats with a doctor (2 doctors because it straddled shifts)

SEVEN bloody hours.

Oh, and I knew it wasn't a cardiac issue because the pains and my symptoms contained none of the other signs of cardiac problems. Even the nurse that performed the ECG knew it was not cardiac related.
But that's the impact that our compo culture has made on Irish health services.

Nowadays, if you go to your GP with a bad dose of indigestion or a hangover, they're inclined to pack you off to A&E - just in case you might have stomach cancer or a stroke!

We should all be very grateful to the Irish judiciary, to litigious patients and to ambulance chasing lawyers!

General Urko

This is a situation which is totally unacceptable in any civilized society and actually doesn't happen elsewhere at all in the developed world!
Also most of those with health insurance have already paid through PRSI, USC and General taxation on pay, however that most certainly does not mean nor should it that their lives are more valuable than others'!

Mushroom

That's only because people are stupid. They sign the form allowing the hospital to do this. Stop signing forms without asking for an explanation as to each form. Informed consent is an essential legal right everyone has when it comes to their treatment by health professionals. Its probaby the most important right yet people couldn't be @rsed enforcing it.
My missus specifically instructed CUH that she wanted to use the public system for treatment after a recent encounter with cancer, so they asked her to sign the form to pay the hospital inpatient charge. Which she did.

Then, a couple of months later, she got a letter from our health insurer informing her that they had paid €1,500 to her consultant - who she had seen through the public system. i.e. waited for hours in the public waiting area like everyone else.

We were incensed at this incidence of what is effectively fraud (or theft) so she phoned the insurer to complain. They person who took the call just laughed at her and told her not to worry because this happens all the time. Then a few weeks later, the health insurance company involved announced that its premiums are going up yet again - not a big surprise when they're prepared to tolerate such unethical practice by a major hospital - gobsh1tes. :mad:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies