• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Taxi Drivers Turn Down Fare Increase

Amnesiac

The National Transport Authority has recommended a 4% rise in fares (€1.03 to €1.10/Kilometer up to 15 Kilometers), with a drop in the standing charge from €4.10 to €3.60 upon getting into the car. Taxi drivers have rejected the proposals.

My back of the envelope calculations suggest this would have been a fare reduction for trips under 7KM, and a rise for those over 7KM.

Taxi fares to remain unchanged - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 17, 2012

What are people's thoughts on this? Are there simply too many taxi drivers and not enough customers? Would fares fall if drivers could compete on price like any other business? How could we ensure customers are not gouged?

hammer

Taxi drivers know their business 1 million times better than that regulator idiot.

Trainwreck

I am guessing tha tthe average fare is less than 7km, so I wouldn't be surprised they truned it down.

tigerben

I think there's way too many taxi drivers, the ranks in cork are alway full, and the drivers spend more time parked up than driving. More people will walk a extra mile now than pay for taxis, and its to do with less disposable income.

leroy42

Taxi drivers can compete on price, many taxi companies advertise discount prices to airport, online etc.

The fare set is a maximum fare. Nothing to stop anybody haggling about rates before the journey.

firefly123

I think there's way too many taxi drivers, the ranks in cork are alway full, and the drivers spend more time parked up than driving. More people will walk a extra mile now than pay for taxis, and its to do with less disposable income.
I dunno if you remember what it used to be like. Taxis were like gold dust at certain times. I much prefer it this way.

Shpake

My limited experience in a job similar to that line of work some decades ago is that it is either a feast or a famine. Either no one wants you or else they are going round frantic for a taxi. Peak times would be ca 19:00 when people want to get into town or the theater. then when the pubs close they want to get home. Othewise you can see for yourself all the taxi drivers in the ranks reading the paper at during the morning and afternoon. A rainy day is good for business too. My point? well the price of a taxi could skyrocket at peak times but drop off considerablly in off-peak times... it's not like a regular product such as cabbage or bowler hats.

realistic1

I dunno if you remember what it used to be like. Taxis were like gold dust at certain times. I much prefer it this way.
Yes but people cannot make a decent wage, that's the issue. As usual in Ireland it has gone from one extreme of hard to get a taxi to another extreme of too many taxis.

Trainwreck

There is as many as find it financially viable to do it. That is all that is important. As someone else observed, it has brought a much better deal for for consumers than the rigged market years ago that kept supply artifically low.

sport02

Very true, but you have to have some sympathy for them. Imagine if the public sector could hire a tonne of immigrants in recent years bringing down the cost of the wages bill to the exchequer, would that be applauded with joy from PS workers?

firefly123

Yes but people cannot make a decent wage, that's the issue. As usual in Ireland it has gone from one extreme of hard to get a taxi to another extreme of too many taxis.
Taxi drivers bear a certain responsibility for this though. They would not open up to some relaxation in their numbers until it got to the point where people were car pooling at the taxi ranks in Dublin whilst waiting 2-3 hours for a taxi. Now if they had let a certain amount of new taxis in then it would have eased the pressure. Instead they dug in and the government just decided to deregulate completely. Personally I'd like to see regulation brought in about the age and quality of the vehicles. A good solution to stop part-timers is to make all taxis a certain identifiable colour. Might lose a few then.

firefly123

Very true, but you have to have some sympathy for them. Imagine if the public sector could hire a tonne of immigrants in recent years bringing down the cost of the wages bill to the exchequer, would that be applauded with joy from PS workers?
But I thought you said there were too many of us? Surely the problem with Taxis was there were too few?

Spirit Of Newgrange

in any NORMAL market, when there is an oversupply of a product then the average price goes down. But the stupid regulator and government interference prevents this and creates a typical irish mess - high prices and lots of empty cabs.

Amnesiac

Taxi drivers can compete on price, many taxi companies advertise discount prices to airport, online etc.

The fare set is a maximum fare. Nothing to stop anybody haggling about rates before the journey.
True. They compete on airport journeys, etc., but any time I've ever tried haggling I get told where to go or it takes 5 minutes of persuading.

firefly123

in any NORMAL market, when there is an oversupply of a product then the average price goes down. But the stupid regulator and government interference prevents this and creates a typical irish mess - high prices and lots of empty cabs.
But the regulator only sets maximum price.

Spirit Of Newgrange

anyway, how many of our taxi drivers are also on the dole. It is a cash rich trade with sloppy regulation anyway

turdsl

There are too many taxis now, The regulator knows nothing about the job.

It should have been reduced the last time it went up.

fuque

The National Transport Authority has recommended a 4% rise in fares (€1.03 to €1.10/Kilometer up to 15 Kilometers), with a drop in the standing charge from €4.10 to €3.60 upon getting into the car. Taxi drivers have rejected the proposals.

My back of the envelope calculations suggest this would have been a fare reduction for trips under 7KM, and a rise for those over 7KM.

Taxi fares to remain unchanged - The Irish Times - Mon, Dec 17, 2012

What are people's thoughts on this? Are there simply too many taxi drivers and not enough customers? Would fares fall if drivers could compete on price like any other business? How could we ensure customers are not gouged?
Its a no brainer. As an ex taxi driver, the business is ruined.........too many taxies now. Drivers voted against this simply to try keep people using them. You can haggle with any driver, he/she is of course capable of refusing. But many a time people asked me to drop on a journey normally costing approx 23-24 quid for 20, if asked politely..............i usually did it.

Amnesiac

Its a no brainer. As an ex taxi driver, the business is ruined.........too many taxies now. Drivers voted against this simply to try keep people using them. You can haggle with any driver, he/she is of course capable of refusing. But many a time people asked me to drop on a journey normally costing approx 23-24 quid for 20, if asked politely..............i usually did it.
My point is that the success of haggling will depend on the taxi driver. The default position is that the maximum price is the price.

I agree that they rejected it because they know demand is on the floor. Another increase would just make matters worse.