• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Taxpayer funding premises for private business

ruman

So our taxes will be building private rooms for medical consultants in the new "public" childrens hospital. What next Paschal building a new HQ for AIB!

"Mr Bruton also told the Dáil that eight private outpatient consulting rooms will be part of the €1.7 billion project under construction. He insisted that the private provision of care “is not a major element of this project” and “going to be at a very low level”.

belcoo666

So our taxes will be building private rooms for medical consultants in the new "public" childrens hospital. What next Paschal building a new HQ for AIB!

"Mr Bruton also told the Dáil that eight private outpatient consulting rooms will be part of the €1.7 billion project under construction. He insisted that the private provision of care “is not a major element of this project” and “going to be at a very low level”.

Long term Blueshirt policy , why the surprise ?

Dame_Enda

Mary Harney's idea of private hospital co-location was better than this. Now what's going to happen is private patients will compete for beds in the one hospital with public patients, increasing overcrowding.

Beachcomber

Mary Harney's idea of private hospital co-location was better than this. Now what's going to happen is private patients will compete for beds in the one hospital with public patients, increasing overcrowding.
Do private outpatient consulting rooms contain beds that public patients could use?

Beachcomber

Won't the hospital be charging the consultants for the use of these rooms?

Beachcomber

Can anyone apply to have their new business funded in this manner?
Why do you refer to new businesses?

Surely the consultants already exist, and will have to pay for use of these rooms.

Dame_Enda

Do private outpatient consulting rooms contain beds that public patients could use?
Last year when I was in hospital I was told they don't have private beds. This year they do though. So that raises questions about whether some beds are intermittedly publicly or privately available in the same place. Seems chaotic.

ruman

Won't the hospital be charging the consultants for the use of these rooms?
Presumably , but they consultants should be building their private rooms elsewhere. I mean due to space constraints it now appears unlikely we will be able to build a maternity hospital while certain helicopters will need to land in the phoenix park! Despite this we have room to build premises for private business?

ruman

Why do you refer to new businesses?

Surely the consultants already exist, and will have to pay for use of these rooms.
I'm asking why the taxpayer is building premises for a private business?

If you or i wish to start our business tomorrow will the taxpayer fund construction? Will it be built in a premis3s where our customers will be based.

I'm a little baffled at why you think it acceptable for the taxpayer to build premises for a private business.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
To add to Ruman's point there, which is a good one, I have begun to wonder lately whether such private consultants with private businesses in public hospitals are getting access to expensive machinery their practice wouldn't be able to afford. X-Ray, MRI scanners and so on.

And I wouldn't be at all happy to discover that private sector patients were getting priority over public sector patients in the same hospital.

I've a creepy feeling these areas should be quietly looked at.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
This whole fiasco just reinforces my long held view that this Facility should have been in Blanchardstown

Which is already nearing completion on its own Children's Wing....

James St will be at capacity almost as soon as its built!

fat finger

I still don't get it, never got, can't understand, never understood why doctors employed on the public purse get to use the public premises to conduct private business. Why is it not possible to sort this issue out? We don't have teachers in state schools using the classrooms to give private lesssons. It shouldn't be hard to ensure doctors are told do your private business at home or somewhere else, but not here. Why is it so difficult to sort this out?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I still don't get it, never got, can't understand, never understood why doctors employed on the public purse get to use the public premises to conduct private business. Why is it not possible to sort this issue out? We don't have teachers in state schools using the classrooms to give private lesssons. It shouldn't be hard to ensure doctors are told do your private business at home or somewhere else, but not here. Why is it so difficult to sort this out?
Influence.

ruman

Influence.
Yep. The consultants dictate health policy here. We saw that recently when it was revealed that they had extensively lobbied the Chief Medical Officer resulting in then Health Minister Leo Varadkar performing a complete u turn after initially promising to implement a mandatory disclosure policy. Effectively the man who is now Taoiseach took orders from the consultants.

The Phoenix covered it but none of the mainstream media challenged Varadkar on his complete capitulation.

wombat

..Blanchardstown

Which is already nearing completion on its own Children's Wing....

James St will be at capacity almost as soon as its built!
You realise that the Blanchardstown and Tallaght childrens' facilities are part of the NCH project?

wombat

I still don't get it, never got, can't understand, never understood why doctors employed on the public purse get to use the public premises to conduct private business. Why is it not possible to sort this issue out?
Money. The public consultants have a contract which allows for private work, they would have to be bought out and wages increased to keep them in the public system.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It would be nice to get some numbers on that and I'd suggest that is what is likely to happen at some point.

How come if you are on social welfare from the public purse you can be described as a sponger by some, and yet if you are a medical consultant you can swing out of the public purse quite handily and an area I'd really like to see some data on is the usage of public hospital facilities and how consultants pay towards such machinery, depreciation and replacement costs.

ruman

Money. The public consultants have a contract which allows for private work, they would have to be bought out and wages increased to keep them in the public system.
That doesnt explain building private business premises for them , particularly in a location where space is at a premium.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies