Taxpayer screwed again , Bereavement leave increased from 5 to 20 days for PS

brughahaha

Civil service bereavement leave increased - Impact Trade Union

The Irish taxpayer will be footing the bill for another exclusive PS perk ....... 4 weeks Bereavement leave

Introduced recently ......shortly after the 4k a Garda pay out

Seems no political party will ever stand up to the insatiable greed of our PS and their dmands for ridiculos pay pensions holidays and perks ...in return for utterly sh1te services

Just heap the bill on the taxpayer or cut services further .......

Youd almost hope for another crash and bailout ...... This time with actual reform

Spanner Island

The Irish taxpayer will be footing the bill for another exclusive PS perk ....... 4 weeks Bereavement leave

Seems no political party will ever stand up to the insatiable greed of our PS and their dmands for ridiculos pay pensions holidays and perks ...in return for utterly sh1te services

Youd almost hope for another crash and bailout ...... This time with actual reform
It's the feckin' unions who are really to blame for this bullsh!t...

The majority of members probably don't have a clue what their poxy unions are looking for on their behalf most of the time...

And meanwhile the rest of us just get on with it... :roll:

Another crash may well be on the way... sooner than people like to think...

D

Deleted member 48908

I see no problem with it.

Losing someone so close is very traumatic.

brughahaha

I see no problem with it.

Losing someone so close is very traumatic.
But in the private sector people take holidays unpaid leave etc ......why is the private sector taxpayer expected to pay for 4weeks leave for someone elses bereavement, Yet fund their own lesser entitlements

brughahaha

The Field Marshal

It is not an exclusive PS perk.
Most employers in the private sector give time off for family bereavement

20 days for loss of spouse or a child.
That seems a reasonable time to me.

Parents siblings etc remain at 5 days.

Have you ever suffered major family loss yourself?

ruserious

I must remember to be more efficient next time a loved one dies.

brughahaha

I must remember to be more efficient next time a loved one dies.
Or you could use your ample annual leave :roll:

Sure why stop at 4 weeks , make it 3 months ..... a year , hell we should all just work every other year ...thatd be great ....

The Field Marshal

Or you could use your ample annual leave :roll:

Sure why stop at 4 weeks , make it 3 months ..... a year , hell we should all just work every other year ...thatd be great ....
On what basis do you maintain that private sector workers do not get bereavement leave.?

brughahaha

Yes they do ...but not 4 weeks ...and yes i have ...5 days compassionate leave and another weeks AL ( and tbh i was glad to get back to work )

brughahaha

On what basis do you maintain that private sector workers do not get bereavement leave.?
Learn to read ....5 days , as it was in the PS is standard in the private sector , as low as 3 in some places

An increase to 2 weeks might have merit ...but 4 weeks ...another example of the financial fantasy that is our PS

HarshBuzz

Had to check my own employment manual to see what I am entitled to - 3 days paid leave apparently.

That does seem too little. Two weeks I'd suggest would be appropriate.

The Field Marshal

Learn to read ....5 days , as it was in the PS is standard in the private sector , as low as 3 in some places

An increase to 2 weeks might have merit ...but 4 weeks ...another example of the financial fantasy that is our PS
No need to be snarky.

If somebody loses a child or husband/wife then 4 weeks is not an unreasonable time to allow somebody to grieve.

It is preferable that an employee gets over the loss and and is given adequate time to mourn rather than return to work in a distressed condition unfit for work.

5 days for a parent is reasonable and 20 days for loss of a childs is also reasonable.

The costs of these proposals in the overall PS pay bill are quite insignificant.

The costs are obviously higher on smaller private sector firms and I expect that 15 days is probably the max.

Most public servants are aged between 18 and 64 and statistically the numbers of spouses and children dying will not be very high.

YOUR OP IS GROSSLY MISLEADING

Last edited:

Florence

why is this extra leave necessarily a cost? surely in most cases colleagues will cover and a temp. will not be called in?

The Field Marshal

I'm a public servant, a teacher, and personally I think this is excessive. I'll need to read the fine print, perhaps it is for exceptional circumstances, the loss of a child or spouse for example. I had two bereavements in eighteen months, both elderly, but naturally, sorely missed, and I took only two days off in each case. Really the Govt needs to man up, if this is true.
It is 20 days for loss of a child or spouse.
5 days for parent etc

The OP is grossly misleading.

D

Deleted member 48908

OP is absent both compassion and empathy. I believe there's a word for people like that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies