• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Taxpayers subsidising homeopathy 'cures'

B

birthday

Believers in homeopathy live in their own magic universe - The Irish Times - Sat, Feb 23, 2013

From the article 'NHS Lothian has, however, confirmed that, following public consultation, state funding of homeopathy clinics is to cease'

At least our HSE are not involved in this but indirectly the state does subsidise this carry on by offering tax-relief on health insurance policies which pay or partially pay out for visits to magicians ( sorry homeopaths).

Apparently VHI are now the only private Health Insurer who have no truck with homeopathy as the other main insurers offer policies which refund homeopathy services.

Should the Revenue Commissioners refuse to offer tax relief on health insurance policies offering refunds for homeopathy?

Nemesiscorporation

Believers in homeopathy live in their own magic universe - The Irish Times - Sat, Feb 23, 2013

From the article 'NHS Lothian has, however, confirmed that, following public consultation, state funding of homeopathy clinics is to cease'

At least our HSE are not involved in this but indirectly the state does subsidise this carry on by offering tax-relief on health insurance policies which pay or partially pay out for visits to magicians ( sorry homeopaths).

Apparently VHI are now the only private Health Insurer who have no truck with homeopathy as the other main insurers offer policies which refund homeopathy services.

Should the Revenue Commissioners refuse to offer tax relief on health insurance policies offering refunds for homeopathy?
Any tax payer money going towards homeopathy should be treated as what it is, blatant fraud.

State funding of homeopathy should be treated like any other crime and prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

DaveM

The VHI funds this nonsense? Seriously?

sondagefaux

It would be unfair to withdraw tax relief on health insurance policies offering refunds for homeopathy unless you could prove that the policy holder was actually given a refund of homeopathic treatment costs. If it was feasible to do so, there could be a proportionate reduction in the tax relief based on actual use of homeopathic treatment.

I'm surprised that this wasn't referenced in the IT article:

[video=youtube;oqOAVCE_Z1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqOAVCE_Z1c[/video]

Johnnybaii

I found homeopathy mildly helpful, mainstream medicine was offering nothing but 40 years of prescriptions treating symptoms and not any underlying causes. And as for the "fraud" comment above, 60 quid for 5 mins with a GP is much closer to my definition of fraud.

mr. jings

Randi's great on snake oil:

[video=youtube;c0Z7KeNCi7g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0Z7KeNCi7g[/video]

sondagefaux

I found homeopathy mildly helpful, mainstream medicine was offering nothing but 40 years of prescriptions treating symptoms and not any underlying causes. And as for the "fraud" comment above, 60 quid for 5 mins with a GP is much closer to my definition of fraud.
[video=youtube;oqOAVCE_Z1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqOAVCE_Z1c[/video]

Hitch 22

In homeopathy the medicine is diluted and diluted and diluted and diluted until it worthless.

You might as well be drinking a glass of tap water.

Barroso

Hospitals, doctors and chemists should face prosecution for fraud if they sell or prescribe homeopathic cures.
Our lawyers will make a killing in France, Spain, Germany, Holland, the UK, and a long etc. if you can get their governments to agree with you!!!

jdwex

I sent off a few emails a year or so about this-

Hi
I would like to suggest that health insurers be asked to remove
"alternative medical treatments" such as reiki, homeopathy etc from
their schemes. There is no scientific basis for these treatments and
the taxpayer should not be subsiding them ( the premiums being tax
deductible)
Thank You
jd

Thank you for your email and please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

I agree with you but ultimately it is up to the health insurers to make these decisions and people can choose between different policies.

Your sincerely

Leo Varadkar TD

IbrahaimMohamad

Surely the HSE cannot fund Homeopathy treatment without taking a view on the ethics of providing placebo treatments to people who are ill?

daveL

you obviously deluded yourself. The usual old story of the placebo.

florin

I love how this crap gets trotted out. "Mainstream medicine" treats both symptoms and underlying causes. e.g. for flu you take antivirals to treat the underlying cause (kill the viruses) and paracetamol to treat the symptoms (fever and muscle pain). "Alternative medicine" never gets at the cause and may weakly palliate symptoms.

EvotingMachine0197

It's even worse than that.

Homeopathic remedies are charged VAT at 0%* whereas bottled water is charged at 23%. Even all injection/infusion and other non-oral human medicines are charged at 23%

*The zero rate only applies to such medicines if they are recognised as a Homeopathic Medicine by the Irish Medicines Board.

Why are the IMB even recognising this crap?

zakalwe1

You are actually drinking tap water. The emperor has no clothes.
actually tap water, with its chlorine and flouride, probably is more qualified to be called a medicine than homeopathic "cures".