TCD - hurricane in a teacup over German lecturer's FB posts - some people love to take offense

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
TCD to investigate after professor criticises students
he deeply regrets the Facebook posts.
Replying to a request for comment by The Irish Times, Dr Ruthner said his privacy settings were accidentally set to public, and he never meant to share his posts publicly.
Dr Caitríona Leahy, head of the department of Germanic studies, wrote to students saying: “On behalf of the department I wish to condemn in the strongest possible terms what has occurred and apologise unreservedly for the breach of trust.”
More detail here
After Lecturer Mocks Exam Answers on Facebook, German Department Apologises – The University Times

He made a mistake, it doesn't appear that the information he posted would have been personally identifiable, save to the doltish student themselves

The response seems wildly disproportionate, especially as a full investigation is pending..."strongest possible condemnation"...just what did he do to attract that level of odium?

https://www.tcd.ie/research/profiles/?profile=ruthnerc

Aspects of her research interests are telling
TCD - People Finder

My opinion is that Dr Leahy has committed the graver offense and is not morally fit to supervise other people

Cyp

Dadaist

Storm in a tea cup.

He didn't even mention the fact that one of his students was riding a horse.

Seabiscuit uber alles.

Betson

How can a monster like this even exist , those students will be scared and traumatised forever.

APettigrew92

More detail here
After Lecturer Mocks Exam Answers on Facebook, German Department Apologises – The University Times

He made a mistake, it doesn't appear that the information he posted would have been personally identifiable, save to the doltish student themselves

The response seems wildly disproportionate, especially as a full investigation is pending..."strongest possible condemnation"...just what did he do to attract that level of odium?

TCD - People Finder

My opinion is that Dr Leahy has committed the graver offense and is not morally fit to supervise other people

Cyp
You know, in mainland Europe, this stuff happens all the time.

One of my French professors on exchange held up an essay from a foreign student and commented that she wouldn't serve such tripe to a toddler.

Holding people to high standards can be an enriching part of education. University students need to take criticism.

I'm not advocating for Professors "naming and shaming" their students on Facebook - professionalism at its worst that.

All the same, Irish Universities seem to be far, far more lenient when it comes to tolerating rubbish performances at Third Level.

The fact that 800+ UCD students were caught cheating in one way or another in exams and almost nobody got even so much as a cursory glance says it all.

We're a soft touch in University. Criticzing rubbish answers from the future intellectual elite is a necessary part of learning.

In essence, there shouldn't be an issue. In practice, the Professor behaved like a pre-teen sharing gossip about one of his fellow teenagers. Eejit.

Ardillaun

Professors should be austere and distant authority figures for whom Facebook is anathema. Any necessary humiliation should be administered within the hallowed walls of the ivory tower itself.

Last edited:

GDPR

LOL I bet they were really crappy answers :)

Lets face it Irish students are rubbish at Modern Foreign Languages. They think being a member of the Anglosphere means they only have to speak English and bells will ring and whistles whistle for them.

Meanwhile the rest of the non Anglo-sphere expects to have to speak at least two languages just to get by.

Pratty Paddy :)

Prester Jim

I see that they are both assistant professors, probably an element of professional ambition involved in her over strong condemnation.

Mad as Fish

Professors should be austere and distant authority figures for whom Facebook is anathema. Any necessary humiliation should be administered within the hallowed walls of the ivory tower itself.
Not so sure about the austere and distant but they should certinly not engage with, through or on FB.

Trainwreck

More detail here

TCD - People Finder

Cyp
Like something from the Cultural Revolution.

Trainwreck

How can a monster like this even exist , those students will be scared and traumatised forever.
University should be a Safe Space free of the traumatising effects of failure to learn the course fúcking basics.

Trainwreck

Tip to employers.

Do not employ any baby-student who attended university in the last 5 years.

mr_anderson

Friend of mine was a lecturer during her 'studying for PhD' days.
She said the quality was atrocious.

Vast quantities copied off each other.
Void of original ideas.
Appalling grammar & spelling.
She couldn't believe how low standards had dropped within the space of 10-15 years.

Wonder if the rise of technology during that same time is a correlating factor ?

silverharp

she was a lecturer in critical theory...nuff said

freewillie

At least Mammies now have time to get their anger focused before unleashing it on the nation on Joe Duffy. These students dont deserve to be so ill treated by their professor. Its not that they are some young lad starting an apprenticeship on a building site and can be made the butt of jokes by the old lads. These TCD people are the cream of society. Ivana Bacik wont rest until she gets justice for them.

GDPR

More detail here

TCD - People Finder

Cyp
A bit of an idiot teaching other idiots and led by an even bigger idiot, in a university setting.
Whats new?

Levellers

More detail here

TCD - People Finder

Cyp
Another anti-female diatribe. I'm surprised.

A REASON

If the students are so crap maybe the lecturer should have a look at himself? His teaching methods clearly haven't worked so he needs to improve himself. The students have probably being sending facebook messages to eachother about their rubbish lecturer who can't even teach them the basics.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies