TCD to axe "Freshman" title for students in a move towards gender equality - to be replaced with "Fresh"

nationalsday

TCD to axe "Freshman" title for students in a move towards gender equality - to be replaced with "Fresh"

In a move towards greater gender equality TCD has moved to replace the term "Freshman" for first and second year students, to be replaced simply with the title "Fresh".

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/an-absolute-embarrassment-students-slam-trinitys-move-to-axe-freshman-title-829381.html

What will this mean for any title/name with the word "man" as part of it - a la, "my Dad works as a "Milk" and he drives a "milk's" float" ?

How are we now to refer to Herman Goering? Where does that leave 70's rockers/songsters Stock, Aitken and Waterman?

My recollection of the "Fresh" students of TCD is that they were in fact quite a smelly lot.

Last edited:

artfoley56

In a move towards greater gender equality TCD has moved to replace the term "Freshman" for first and second year students, to be replaced simply with the title "Fresh".

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/an-absolute-embarrassment-students-slam-trinitys-move-to-axe-freshman-title-829381.html

What will this mean for any name title/name with the word "man" as part of it - a la, "my Dad works as a "Milk" and he drives a "milk's" float" ?

How are we now to refer to Herman Goering? Where does that leave 70's rockers/songsters Stock, Aitken and Waterman?

My recollection of the "Fresh" students of TCD is that they were in fact quite a smelly lot.
in one-upmanship, UCD are moving to gender neutral toilets

https://gcn.ie/ucd-designates-170-toilets-gender-neutral/

wonder how long before the complaints come in to put it back the way it was after some poor female soul unfortunately has a stall next to a guy that overdid it on Guinness the night before?

Lúidín

Try getting Thomas Payne's 'The Rights of Persons' out of the Trinity Library.

razorblade

Is this PC madness ever going to end seriously its driving off a cliff someone needs to stand up and shout stop enough of this craziness.

GDPR

Why not just call them first years, second years etc as they do in the UK? Freshman is such an American term.

Yes I know it originated at the University of Cambridge, but they havent used it for around 100 years.....

gooner

They created an issue out of nothing.

Will this gender madness ever end?

Outlaw103

Who gives a sh1t what happens in universities?

They are holding pens for prepubescents. The idea that anyone would want to voluntarily engage with anything that happens there is pathetic.

The place where people don't have to do everything their mommy and daddy tells them to do for the first times in their lives.

We need to have a serious political discussion about the gossip from the world where these two exist!!!!!!

firefly123

By fourth year they are called mouldies

Lagertha

Well...it does take the focus off the fact that Ali Selim who supports FGM is still on their payroll.

Sync

What will this mean for any title/name with the word "man" as part of it - a la, "my Dad works as a "Milk" and he drives a "milk's" float" ?

.....Yes, he drives a milk float. You got one right.

Popular Threads

Most Replies