• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

TD's and Senators asked to repay overclaimed expenses after audit by Mazars

BrightDay

I think it is increible that an external company had to be employed to audit the expenses of 12 members of the Oireachtas. If an external company can understand the rules why couldn't someone in the Civil Service read the rules and carry out the audits themselves.

Surely the person who approves such expenses should understand the rules already.

It would be intersting to discover the cost of the audit carried out by Mazars.

Artilce from Irish Independent here:

Politicians hand back €16,000 after random expenses audit - National News - Independent.ie

Ruff says Flaherty

Hard-up politicians forced to pay money back to greedy tax payers.

Hard up politicians and senators have been caught falsifying expenses following an audit by Mazers.

Politicians hand back €16,000 after random expenses audit - National News - Independent.ie

I suppose it is Christmas and times are tough.

Why are politicians paid so little that they have to resort to falsifying expenses?
Why doesn't the tax payer just leave them alone?
Should there be a charity where needs politicians can go at Christmas?

I'm disgusted that the vulnerable are being hit like this, particularly at Christmas.

Last edited:

greengoose2

Hard up politicians and senators have been caught falsifying expenses following an audit by Mazers.

Why are politicians paid so little that they have to resort to falsifying expenses?

I'm disgusted that the vulnerable are being hit like this, particularly at Christmas.
My thoughts are with those poor politicians. It is a disgrace and those dreadful taxpayers are vile!

tigerben

OMG the poor politicans, they obviously won't do it unless they needed the cash. Christmas is ruined for me with the worry how are the going to manage with a 2.5% cut next year. Next we're going to have STvDeP saying " we've even had politicans looking for help this year"

ger12

A random sample of 12 out of how many TD's and Senators?

Derek Keating FG returned €7,571 for ineligible claims and Ray Butler FG was unable to provide receipts or documentation to show that €4,923.69 was claimed correctly.

The majority of those audited had to refund some of their expenses. Guidelines for expenses should be clarified ASAP and a full audit should perhaps take place now.

In fairness these Oireachtas members had chosen to claim vouched expenses.

Ruff says Flaherty

In all honesty though, isn't it some fcking disgrace the sh1t they think they can get away with? I mean that audit was just a sample, imagine if every politician was checked? They should have their pay docked. Saying they don't understand how the expenses system works is no excuse, I know it for my job, it's up to them to know!

lying eyes

As usual I notice none of these people short changed themselves. These are the lads and lassies who voted for the respite allowence cuts. The respite allowence goes to people who are working 24/7, 365 days a year. It is a sad and disgusting that we as a people allow this to happen. How any member of this Goverment, can face people and talk about fairness is just astounding. Is this what we have become?

Ruff says Flaherty

As usual I notice none of these people short changed themselves. These are the lads and lassies who voted for the respite allowence cuts. The respite allowence goes to people who are working 24/7, 365 days a year. It is a sad and disgusting that we as a people allow this to happen. How any member of this Goverment, can face people and talk about fairness is just astounding. Is this what we have become?
That is so true and so telling. They don't understand the system, but they understand enough that everyone of them claimed more money than not enough. The political "class" in this country are rotten to the core. The good ones sink, while the turds float to the top. Revolution is needed. But not today, today is Saturday and I like going to the markets on Saturday followed by a few pints.

BrightDay

Why was it necessary to go out and hire a private company to do this audit? Surely there are enough idle civil servants knocking about to undertake what must be a fairly simple box ticking exercise. Wonder how much Mazars charged?

laidback

Why was it necessary to go out and hire a private company to do this audit? Surely there are enough idle civil servants knocking about to undertake what must be a fairly simple box ticking exercise. Wonder how much Mazars charged?
I read somewhere that the cost of this external audit was about €28,000 pa but not absolutely sure about that. Perhaps it was felt external auditors would be tougher whereas an internal person might know the politician and just as you say 'tick the box.'

Fr.Ted Crilly

Would you seriously trust a civil 'servant' to do an audit?
I think we know where that gets us.

turdsl

It was us the unfortunate electorate that was conned when we gave heed to them

thinking they would be different than the crowd who went before them.

Joe O Reilly, Fine Gael does the big guy and makes a donation to his local GAA club.

He says he was unaware that these did not fall within the scope of the expenses scheme.

Good God, are those guys for real, he thought the rest of the country should support his electioneering.

Those are the same guys that voted for cuts in carers hours and respite grants to
parents who look after sick children 365 days a year,

Those guys on €2000 and €3000 a week plus expenses have not a clue what is happening in the country,

Mushroom

The majority of those audited had to refund some of their expenses. Guidelines for expenses should be clarified ASAP and a full audit should perhaps take place now.
Correct.

It's worth pointing out that Ivor Callely was able to avail of the lack of clarity in the guidelines to get away with using his Kilcrohane address for travelling expense purposes.

So there are both winners and losers in the great Oireachtas game of suckling from the public teat.

I recall an Irish diplomat telling me many years ago that one should milk the (travel and subsistence) cow regularly, but never bleed it.

juggernaut

I think it is increible that an external company had to be employed to audit the expenses of 12 members of the Oireachtas. If an external company can understand the rules why couldn't someone in the Civil Service read the rules and carry out the audits themselves.[/url]
I think this highlights a problem with our civil service - which civil servant will stand up to a politician when it comes to it. Imagine the flack a lowly civil servant check the receipts would get from higher up the chain. Same problem with Department of Finance and their gutless capitulation to the politicians.
This is just a small example but raises an interesting question - how do we get independent civil servants who are not lose canons (like the county managers are)?

LamportsEdge

Correct.

It's worth pointing out that Ivor Callely was able to avail of the lack of clarity in the guidelines to get away with using his Kilcrohane address for travelling expense purposes.

So there are both winners and losers in the great Oireachtas game of suckling from the public teat.

I recall an Irish diplomat telling me many years ago that one should milk the (travel and subsistence) cow regularly, but never bleed it.
If I recall correctly Callely declined the opportunity to repay the over-estimated element of his expenses. I do not recall whether he offered an explanation. Nor do I recall any further pressing on the matter of the missing taxpayers money.

Tis is silent in that matter as the Irish media were in the unfortunate boating skills displayed by the 'young wan' who attempt to vault another vessel in Baltimore Harbour mistaking the HMS Callely for a steeplechaser. Another catholic mystery on the high seas.... one hopes someone is taking notes for the sequel to Chesterton's 'Father Brown Mysteries'. I think they are going to call it 'Aquacanon- the Investigating Clerical Detective with the Gills and the Political Expenses Scandal'.

LamportsEdge

Is that the Fine Gael version of the notorious Fianna Fail policy of 'Blame The Dead Guy'?

I heard one of the Lenihans was buried with 34 missing paintings from Leinster House, a map pointing to where Shergar is buried and a silver cigarette lighter with 'the Flame of the Republic, 1916' inscribed on it that someone won in a poker game in the back room at Heffernans in 1933.

Tell everyone that the Missus does the expenses when she isn't hosting 'Hitler Wasn't Such A Bad Lad' coffee mornings and then as soon as the Oireachtas Expenses Rapid Reaction Force starts asking questions have her bumped off by a Lithuanian carpenter down on his luck.

Trickle-down economics.