• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

TDs Avoid Talking About FEMPI

CptSternn

'Sit down and grow up': The Dáil just had its first big row since the general election

THE 32ND DÁIL has been suspended for the first time as a row erupted between Anti-Austerity Alliance/People Before Profit TDs and the Ceann Comhairle.

The argey bargey came as opposition TDs complained that Fempi (Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) legislation was being extended without a vote.

The government was accused of using ‘old politics’ to bulldoze through legislation without opportunity for discussion or debate.
Most people tend to get that glassy eyed, glossed over look once you start talking about economic legislation, especially when it has a lengthy name that is shortened to an acronym.

So to keep this interesting I will summarise a bit here for anyone who doesn't know what the legislation is or why this argument today is actually very important, contrary to what the current Fine Gael / Fianna Fail government want you to think.

FEMPI was enacted to cut the pay of public sector employees as well as restricts them from getting any pay increases while the legislation is in place. This includes teachers, doctors, nurses, first responders, and many others. They have had their pay cut and all possibilities of wage increases removed for years now due to 'austerity'. As the name itself states, it is an EMERGENCY measure. However now this government claims the financial crisis is over and today are debating how to give large companies even more tax breaks. At the same time they decided to rubber stamp the FEMPI legislation to extend it without discussion.

WTF?

Are we out of a financial crisis? Then why is the emergency legislation being extended? If we can find money to give tax breaks to the most wealthy in this country why is it those who work as teachers or nurses should be forced to live under continuing austerity? This government is forcing austerity on the working class while taking the money they make off this austerity and giving it to those who really do not need it. Like a reverse Robin Hood. And FG/FF do not even want to discuss this in the Dail because really, they have no legitimate defence for behaving in this manner.

Anyone else bothered that FG/FF continue to block any discussion of things they have no defence for?

Mad as Fish

'Sit down and grow up': The Dáil just had its first big row since the general election

Most people tend to get that glassy eyed, glossed over look once you start talking about economic legislation, especially when it has a lengthy name that is shortened to an acronym.

So to keep this interesting I will summarise a bit here for anyone who doesn't know what the legislation is or why this argument today is actually very important, contrary to what the current Fine Gael / Fianna Fail government want you to think.

FEMPI was enacted to cut the pay of public sector employees as well as restricts them from getting any pay increases while the legislation is in place. This includes teachers, doctors, nurses, first responders, and many others. They have had their pay cut and all possibilities of wage increases removed for years now due to 'austerity'. As the name itself states, it is an EMERGENCY measure. However now this government claims the financial crisis is over and today are debating how to give large companies even more tax breaks. At the same time they decided to rubber stamp the FEMPI legislation to extend it without discussion.

WTF?

Are we out of a financial crisis? Then why is the emergency legislation being extended? If we can find money to give tax breaks to the most wealthy in this country why is it those who work as teachers or nurses should be forced to live under continuing austerity? This government is forcing austerity on the working class while taking the money they make off this austerity and giving it to those who really do not need it. Like a reverse Robin Hood. And FG/FF do not even want to discuss this in the Dail because really, they have no legitimate defence for behaving in this manner.

Anyone else bothered that FG/FF continue to block any discussion of things they have no defence for?
Same old shyte from the much the same old sh!ts who don't give a fig about democracy or debate as we have seen as that's far too much like having to think which is very hard work for FF/FG as we know, and besides, they are not very good at it.

Still, when the shills pop up to tell us how rosy everything is in the garden you can point to this little problem and ask why the legislation has not been lifted. They'd better get started on working out their answer.

GDPR

Yeah, vague promises from Bruton that we'll get around to it, doesn't really cut the mustard. Sure wasn't it about keeping the recovery going eh, feckin emergency my arse!

im axeled

the last dail was a people busting one, aide by the trousering party aand their mudgaurd the lieabout/stickie/dissos, aided and abetted entuesasticaly by s.barrett, this dail is similar in ever respect, the same is happening in this dail, just a little different changes, the trousering party has lost its mudgard, but gained a puppetmaster, while barret has been replaced by a lesser evil

shiel

What legislation is being put through to give large companies even more tax breaks?

I am not making a point I am asking a question.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No

WTF?

May I somewhat mischeviously ask whether the FEMPI legislation would take into account (apart from the heroes of the front line in teachers, doctors, gardai and nurses) the sort of people who would be described as quango employees in the public sector, secertary generals of the civil service and the lumpen middletariat of those in between?

Not sure what others think but I think I'd rather soften FEMPI at the service delivery end and sharpen it at that back-office end. But call me naive if you will.

Appleby

We're in between crises rather than safely out of one. The legislation should remain in place but only after a full, open, mature debate.

Diawlbach

We're in between crises rather than safely out of one. The legislation should remain in place but only after a full, open, mature debate.
You might not have noticed, but there's this rather big thing happening next door that bloody well could turn into a crisis (and is almost certainly turning into a recession for them). Right now is not the time to remove that legislation, because we are going to need absolutely maximum flexibility.

For the record: many others took pay-cuts for work done for the State that they will never get back, but without a smidgin of the pension and other entitlements that State workers get. I'd have more time for Mick Barry if he were concentrating on those with least security, often low-paid, rather than those with more. Junior doctors are many things, but the proletariat, they ain't.

gatsbygirl20

May I somewhat mischeviously ask whether the FEMPI legislation would take into account (apart from the heroes of the front line in teachers, doctors, gardai and nurses) the sort of people who would be described as quango employees in the public sector, secertary generals of the civil service and the lumpen middletariat of those in between?

Not sure what others think but I think I'd rather soften FEMPI at the service delivery end and sharpen it at that back-office end. But call me naive if you will.
You are accepting the narrative that front line workers are in some way more saintly and deserving than behind-the-scenes workers.

Many front line workers--and I am one myself--totally depend on the support and dedication of backroom people, civil servants, etc.

Many of these people work very hard--or are as likely to be hardworking as any other group of workers, or not.

They go out in the morning, do the best job they can, and see it through just like any other group

Clanrickard

WTF?

Many in the public sector are still grossly over paid. Well done government.

nakatomi

No, its a catch all. Causing serious problems in recruitment especially for nurses.

CptSternn

Teachers and gardaí face pay freezes as Lansdowne Road agreement comes into effect

SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHERS and gardaí face pay freezes from today as the Lansdowne Road agreement comes into effect.

Some 30,000 public sector workers will face the pay freezes under the agreement.
The agreement includes the non-restoration of pay cuts and the non-payment of supervision fees to teachers, who argue this constitutes unpaid work.

Public Expenditure Minister Paschal Donohoe says that the Financial Emergency Measures in the Public Interest (FEMPI) acts, brought in in 2009, continue to be needed.
Yes, while this very same government has just admitted to spending almost a million euro to keep Apple FROM paying their taxes (19 billion in back taxes to be precise), they are continuing emergency legislation to keep the wages of teachers, doctors, nurses, and Gardai at 2008 levels with no chance of a pay rise.

State has spent €670,000 to fight Europe in Apple case

Probably why this happened yesterday and this is happening today...

ASTI general secretary Kieran Christie told Newstalk the legislation was “punitive” and “unacceptable”. Teachers will march on the Dáil today in protest at the agreement.
“We’re protesting against the abhorrent unfairness of what’s being done to our members.”

Gardaí yesterday staged a protest outside the gates of the Dáil, calling on TDs to support their demand to have their pay restored to pre-recession levels.
When it comes to giving massive tax breaks to the most wealth in our country Fine Gael / Fianna Fail will put hundreds of millions of tax payers money into the pockets of solicitors to make sure that happens. When it comes to giving fair pay to teachers, nurses, doctors, and Gardai they ram through legislation without any debate at all and justify it saying it is needed in a financial emergency.

If we are in such a financial crisis that we have to inflict such harsh austerity measures on people who are some of the most needed in our society like teachers, nurses, doctors, and Gardai, why is this government fighting so hard NOT to tax large companies and is giving the wealthy such tax breaks?

DC0001

Time for PS unions to come together and take a legal challenge to this - either there is an emergency and the government should be abandoning USC giveaways, rainy day funds etc. or there isn't and let the legislation fall.

Hard to credit Govt. position given recent summer economic statement setting out revised fiscal space etc.

Lets keep the recovery going... for some

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies