• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

TDs collectively vote themselves a holiday

willow68

I find the silence of the troika on our level of politician's pay and perks quite telling. Business as usual for the in-crowd. The rest can eat cake (or quietly die in a corner).

Crazy horse 6

I have a weeks holiday next week but i have some cash into hand painting work to do for the week so i can afford the tank of heating oil that's way overdue. If only i had the time or money to go on a holiday.

jo9jo

The country's in a mess and these chancers vote themselves a weeks holiday. This self serving bunch of chancers expect to be treated with credibility in Europe. Bananas anyone?

Ruining a country is a strenuous exercise.

It is refreshing to see our elected representatives unified on an issue of such national importance.

Holidays are required to recharge the batteries and it is unhealthy not to take holidays.

Our elected reps are the envy of the EU - we are coming very close to solving the debt problem and next year we will have the Presidency of the EU.
Then it will be more difficult to get days off - see we are looking ahead.

emulator

All you can do is what you have to do.... There are many in your situation.

slippy wicket

I have a weeks holiday next week but i have some cash into hand painting work to do for the week so i can afford the tank of heating oil that's way overdue. If only i had the time or money to go on a holiday.
I feel your pain, haven't been off on a holiday since 2004.
May be the cause of my miserablebastardness. ;)

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

The country's in a mess and these chancers vote themselves a weeks holiday. This self serving bunch of chancers expect to be treated with credibility in Europe. Bananas anyone?

"The motion, proposed by the Government, was passed without objection from the Opposition."

And only back from over 8 weeks holidays during the Summer. Soon to vacate Kildare St during Xmas.

I find the silence of the troika on our level of politician's pay and perks quite telling. Business as usual for the in-crowd. The rest can eat cake (or quietly die in a corner).
The Troika are concerned about three things only. The return of their investment, the profit on that investment, and subjugation.

Last edited:

daveL

with no opposition I might add

from anyone in the house

Rocky

And I'm sure you've never taken a holiday ever.

Iarmhi Gael

More Hot air by our resident p.ie wafflers.

Every politican has to vote their holidays (or time away from Dail to be more acurate) and this would be agreed by the whips beforehand. A senior politican generally has little to no time off and as seen on Sunday like a lot of top Civil services will work 7 days a week.

nonpartyboy

They have also gone very quiet on some of their main initial issues, legal reform/costs, professional costs, red tape.......the troika have clearly been nobbled, lets screw the little people.....our senior civil servants clearly know their game, it's not that they are useless,they are just working for somebody other than the irish people.

tigerben

I thought FG were going to do politics different? How long are they back from the summer break. It's gas that teachers pay, allowances and holidays are in the firing line, when politicans have near or the same level of holidays and bigger allowances!

Rocky

I thought FG were going to do politics different? How long are they back from the summer break. It's gas that teachers pay, allowances and holidays are in the firing line, when politicans have near or the same level of holidays and bigger allowances!
They've increased the amount of days the Dail sits by a lot. I can't think of the exact figure.

Pudna

More Hot air by our resident p.ie wafflers.

Every politican has to vote their holidays (or time away from Dail to be more acurate) and this would be agreed by the whips beforehand. A senior politican generally has little to no time off and as seen on Sunday like a lot of top Civil services will work 7 days a week.
Yeah right, that is why they all go missing for the summer, and weekends?

dizillusioned

They've increased the amount of days the Dail sits by a lot. I can't think of the exact figure.
The Dail can sit all it wants, makes no difference to the ordinary punter on the street. Look on Oireachtas TV the place is like Lillies on a Wednesday night in Lent.

jacko

In the first ten months of 2010 the Dail sat for 81 days

This year the equivalent figure is 108 days,

That is a 33% increase in sitting days

blacbloc

It is disgusting and totally gives the lie to what the 'troika' and the government are actually up to. It matters not one jot whether bringing TDs salaries down to average industrial wage will, on its own, save the economy. It's the principle of the thing - Noonan, Gilmore et al routinely play the nauseating green jersey card but will not wear that jersey themselves. The apply their 'tough' decisions to the most defenceless and brazenly sit out their own lavish salaries and expenses. Forget Marx and all of that. Let's have a revolution to restore plain, ordinary decency and common sense.

Rocky

The Dail can sit all it wants, makes no difference to the ordinary punter on the street. Look on Oireachtas TV the place is like Lillies on a Wednesday night in Lent.
Tell that to Greengoose, he seems very upset that it's not sitting next week.

Mattarigna

And I'm sure you've never taken a holiday ever.
And I'm sure that no other place of employment allow employees to give themselves a week's holiday whenever they wish.

Last edited: