• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

TDs - zeros or heroes?

What do you think of TD's pay?

• They're paid too much

Votes: 231 77.5%
  • They're paid too little

Votes: 18 6.0%
  • They're paid enough

Votes: 49 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr. Bumble

If you are a TD, you will earn a basic salary of 92k per annum plus a host of other allowances, perks and expenses. - What TDs earn: the extras - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Sat, Oct 27, 2012. If you are lucky enough/unlucky enough to be a minister, you can add on between 17k and 100k - One-stop trough: how much do Irish politicians get paid? (Part 1 of 3) | NAMA Wine Lake

Some claim to live on the average industrial wage in solidarity with their fellow citizens but draw the full entitlement from the state - which can have a very detrimental effect on their body image - 'Sinn Féin barely leave me enough wages for make-up': TD Sandra McLellan says her party's pay policy could deter candidates | Mail Online.

Others simply draw their full entitlement - Jackie Healy Rae claims 1,000,000 in expenses and http://www.politics.ie/forum/oireachtas/131092-fine-gael-td-james-reilly-claims-32k-18-mile-journeys-dail-sunday-tribune.html.

Some see their position as an opportunity to feather their nests and those of their cronies - AS IT HAPPENED: Ahern did not account for.

Some are most unfortunate in how their dealings are interpreted - Gilmore denies role in wife's posting - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 20, 2012 and Gilmore wife got.

Some are simply corrupt - Ming - I'm corrupt. or cheat their taxes - Mick Wallace off the hook after or are economical with the truth - Taoiseach ‘has no intention’ of re-opening Moriarty Tribunal.

However, whatever about their, qualities, flaws and effectiveness as politicians, it is very hard work being a TD. The rubber chicken circuits, meetings, clinics, pesky Dáil attendances, Cumann meetings, canvassing, kissing hands and shaking babies etc. are necessary elements of a TDs working day. They certainly see themselves as being busy people as this handy and informative Oireachtas guide demonstrates - http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/housesoftheoireachtas/contentassets/documents/Day-in-the-Life-EN.pdf

Given the work they put in to being politicians, are they paid too much or too little?

ShoutingIsLeadership

In terms of pay per hour, it's not excessive. However, even if we paid the 1997-2011 governments 1 euro each, it would have been very bad value for our money.

Mountaintop

Loving the OP Mr. B... you paint a pretty picture.....worthy of a poll, no?? (perhaps the most one-sided one in p.ie history, I suspect)

jpc

They are pretty well looked after in the scheme of things Europe wide.
And many were that way before they entered the game.
How many ex td's are scraping by?

commonman

Thats why iam not voting in the Meath East election give some one a job goes up the road to the dail then votes to tax the fucck of me.

Mr. Bumble

Loving the OP Mr. B... you paint a pretty picture.....worthy of a poll, no?? (perhaps the most one-sided one in p.ie history, I suspect)
Perhaps, but I would imagine that a TD could easily put in an average of 70 hours per week hard work with a lot of responsibility. 92k pa doesn't seem a lot in that context.

Mr. Bumble

Actually Mountaintop, you are right, a poll would be excellent - any friendly mod around?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Perhaps, but I would imagine that a TD could easily put in
an average of 70 hours per week hard work with a lot of responsibility. 92k pa doesn't seem a lot in that context.
Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be devil's advocate :)

Fractional Reserve

Do ya think Enda ,Eamon , Mickey give two highland shytes they believe they are entitled to every bit of free loot they can get hands on.Ya want a welfare vote buying state yer going ta pay big for it .

RobertW

It's a pointless well paid job in opposition.

It's a pointless well paid job as a government backbencher.

It's a pointless extremely well paid job as a junior minister.

It's a job worth doing and exceptionally well paid if in cabinet.

RahenyFG

Being a TD is a thankless job. You're constantly being analysed and expected to deliver and you can't please all the people all the time.

Mr. Bumble

Fractional Reserve

70 hrs a week is a piece of piss if youare self employed and I can tell you you wont be earning 92k with another 100k in expenses
Perhaps, but I would imagine that a TD could easily put in an average of 70 hours per week hard work with a lot of responsibility. 92k pa doesn't seem a lot in that context.

EvotingMachine0197

I'm reasonably ok with basic salaries although I reckon 80k for basic TD up to about 140k for Taoiseach would be more appropriate. 70k for Senate.

The expenses is the bit I'm certainly not happy with. Obviously much of it is warranted but I still think there's too much money for old rope in there and not enough transparency.