• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Teaching Evaluations and Gender Bias

Mercurial

Here is an interesting tool, that allows you to compare the words used to describe professors (lecturers) from roughly 14 million reviews on ratemyprofessors.com

Studies have suggested that female teachers tend to be evaluated more harshly than their male counterparts, and tools like this would seem to support the idea that there is a gender bias among students. Even counting only positive evaluations, there still seems to be clear differences along gender lines. For example, here's what you get for the keyword "intelligent" (only positive)

And here's what you get for the word "helpful" (only positive)

Have a go yourself, and see if you can come with any interesting results.

Why Female Professors Get Lower Ratings : NPR Ed : NPR

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/01/11/new-analysis-offers-more-evidence-against-student-evaluations-teaching

Betson

You could also claim with your data that male teachers are the 'victims' of gender bias when it comes to been perceived as helpful.

I know, I know , I Know , females own victimhood.

edwin

Here is an interesting tool, that allows you to compare the words used to describe professors (lecturers) from roughly 14 million reviews on ratemyprofessors.com

Studies have suggested that female teachers tend to be evaluated more harshly than their male counterparts, and tools like this would seem to support the idea that there is a gender bias among students. Even counting only positive evaluations, there still seems to be clear differences along gender lines. For example, here's what you get for the keyword "intelligent" (only positive)

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/01/11/new-analysis-offers-more-evidence-against-student-evaluations-teaching
Interesting, especially the findings that show greater potential bias by females themselves.

If the researchers aren't from a 'women's studies' or sociology dept it would also help the credibility of the study. I view any study on gender issues from those quarters with the same suspicion as a study on climate change funded by oil companies.

silverharp

Interesting, especially the findings that show greater potential bias by females themselves.

If the researchers aren't from a 'women's studies' or sociology dept it would also help the credibility of the study. I view any study on gender issues from those quarters with the same suspicion as a study on climate change funded by oil companies.
the question is the answer with these guys. Liberal pinch of salt.

Polybius

There are far more male geniuses than female geniuses. Women are generally just as smart as men but when you study the numbers of people with IQs of over 150 then there are disproportionately more men. The real question is why so many females of average intelligence are being allowed into academia.

edwin

There are far more male geniuses than female geniuses. Women are generally just as smart as men but when you study the numbers of people with IQs of over 150 then there are disproportionately more men. The real question is why so many females of average intelligence are being allowed into academia.
You haven't met many academics if you think they're all geniuses...

D

Deleted member 17573

Perhaps the evaluations accurately reflect the reality! Never crossed your mind, did it?

farnaby

Addictive tool, interesting. Mixed results for me.

Found pretty close scores for expert, inspiring, qualified, driven, effective, informed, insecure, demanding, confident, weak

Strong male lead with genius, funny, smart but also idiot, boring

Almost across-the-board female lead for biased and incompetent, which is worrying! Also for emotional, supportive etc. - but also detailed, strong

On balance, I don't see the correlation as strongly as the OP suggests.

silverharp

Found pretty close scores for expert, inspiring, qualified, driven, effective, informed, insecure, demanding, confident, weak

Almost across-the-board female lead for biased and incompetent, which is worrying! Also for emotional, supportive etc. - but also detailed, strong

Being a lecturer is part showman , thinking back my male lecturers tended to have a better sense of humour. So if you rate a male lecturer better on that basis alone then its a real thing, an advantage.

GDPR

Whats more amusing is to see how often a phrase is used in relation to academics within a specific discipline, irrespective of gender.

Me being me, I searched on sexy (cute, attractive, hot) etc. I wasnt at all surprised to see Law as the top field and Maths as the lowest. ... :)

Prester Jim

Is it possible that helpful people are seen as less intelligent because we see arrogance and low agreeability as traits linked to intelligence?
That is just one possible other interpretation of the results that questions whether this is a bias against females per se.

Mercurial

Perhaps the evaluations accurately reflect the reality! Never crossed your mind, did it?
You suspect that male academics just tend to be more intelligent and less helpful than female academics?

Mercurial

I'm not sure who would be doing these kinds of studies except sociologists. Perhaps academics interested in education, but that's basically sociology anyway.

Mercurial

You could also claim with your data that male teachers are the 'victims' of gender bias when it comes to been perceived as helpful.

I know, I know , I Know , females own victimhood.
I specifically chose two positive measures in order to show how both men and women are affected negatively by bias. Though the studies that have been done suggest female instructors tend to be ranked more negatively overall.

Mercurial

Perhaps being an exceptionally helpful teacher is of more benefit to students than being an exceptionally intelligent one.

Clanrickard

It's Merc what did you expect?

Mercurial

In some cases comparing the positive and negative reports can be helpful.

It's certainly a blunt tool, and can be potentially misleading in some ways.

For example, if you take "qualified" and count only positive ratings, there's a pretty even mix, as you say above. (Note, however the massive difference in physics, where positive reports are far more likely to describe a woman as qualified - this may be because in that field it is taken for granted that men are adequately qualified, so it literally goes without saying).

If you switch it to negative, however, women pull ahead of men. The same is not true for all measure, but it's worth bearing in mind.

silverharp

Perhaps being an exceptionally helpful teacher is of more benefit to students than being an exceptionally intelligent one.
how would you know? ultimately one might not rate a lecturer to be helpful as being that important?. Its about their knowledge, their experience and how they present the material. its going to be subjective, someone might find a lecturer better if they have worked in the industry they are teaching or having a sense of humour about some of the material.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies