• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Tears for Future Taoisigh?

Radix

With the current evolution of our understanding of human rights, and in the wake of our tackling of the thorny subject of the historical 'incarceration' of 'the Maggies' for example, one has to wonder what current State practices will prompt apologetic tears by our future leaders.

Will we have a future Taoiseach apologising for the way we currently treat children in the care of the HSE, or apologising for the way we treat our prisoners, or those in asylum centres to whom we pay €19 a week or the fact that we pay €9.60 a week child benefit for their children, whilst other children within our nation receive benefits many times in excess of this?

What do ye think fellow posters; has Kenny set a current precedent which might reveal his Government in the future as being hypocritically shallow in some measure, given the above?

IrishWelshCelt

Taoiseach Mary Lou will be apologizing some day in the future.

neiphin

and straight away the usual suspect tries to derail tread
----------------------------------------------------------

children in the care of the state have barely a 50/50 chance of surviving into middle age

talkingshop

With the current evolution of our understanding of human rights, and in the wake of our tackling of the thorny subject of the historical 'incarceration' of 'the Maggies' for example, one has to wonder what current State practices will prompt apologetic tears by our future leaders.

Will we have a future Taoiseach apologising for the way we currently treat children in the care of the HSE, or apologising for the way we treat our prisoners, or those in asylum centres to whom we pay €19 a week or the fact that we pay €9.60 a week child benefit for their children, whilst other children within our nation receive benefits many times in excess of this?

What do ye think fellow posters; has Kenny set a current precedent which might reveal his Government in the future as being hypocritically shallow in some measure, given the above?
And even apart from people directly in the care of/custody of the state, there is the fact that the state pays grants to all sorts of homeless organisations, drug rehabilitation groups, some of them run by religious or quasi religious groups. Residents may be coming back in years time complaining that they were brainwashed, disrespected, or whatever, in some of these places. I think inda has set a bad precedent.

Radix

And even apart from people directly in the care of/custody of the state, there is the fact that the state pays grants to all sorts of homeless organisations, drug rehabilitation groups, some of them run by religious or quasi religious groups. Residents may be coming back in years time complaining that they were brainwashed, disrespected, or whatever, in some of these places. I think inda has set a bad precedent.

To me it is utterly shallow and quite hypocritical of the Government to on one hand shed tears at excavated dysfunction, whilst simultaneously engaging in grave dysfunction itself.

How can it be right for such upholders of moral principle on behalf of the State to throw an ever reducing sum of money to the voluntary quasi religious sector to contain ever increasing problems caused by the neglect of the State itself.

How can it be right to throw someone homeless out of prison with €50 in their pocket which will be píssed up against a wall within two hours? Surely the least we owe to those who have lost their dignity is to help them find it again while 'in the care' of our prison service. The only people who seem to care about human dignity at all are those who are not paid to in the voluntary organisations.

You will notice Kenny didn't finger any politicians in his tears for fears speech. I hope a future Taoiseach highlights the hypocrisy of those politicians who engage in retrospective weeping for past sins but fail miserably to face up to present failings.

Catalpast

I doubt this individual has the wherewithal to realise the implications for future generations of Irish taxpayers over this

Shatter is the evil Councillor here I think

Legal Eagles are gathering over head as wee speak this one I am sure...:?

ger12

I listened to Endas moving and sincere speech. Then I thought about how disproportionately the last two budgets affected women and children in this State. I wondered then how sincere this speech really was.

eoghanacht

and straight away the usual suspect tries to derail tread
----------------------------------------------------------

children in the care of the state have barely a 50/50 chance of surviving into middle age

A lot more to do that they'd come from drug addicted dysfunctional families than anything the state does or fails to do for them, by the time the state removes them from these homes the damage is already done

eoghanacht

I listened to Endas moving and sincere speech. Then I thought about how disproportionately the last two budgets affected women and children in this State. I wondered then how sincere this speech really was.
Yes because the treatment of young women who were sent to 'penitential institutions' is wholly comparable having to balancing the books :roll:

sic transit

The tenor of it was not a lot different from the speech in July of last year. I think it was sincere and the tears were not part of the plan. Your comparison is apples and cabbages.

ger12

The tenor of it was not a lot different from the speech in July of last year. I think it was sincere and the tears were not part of the plan. Your comparison is apples and cabbages.
The tears, solely related to the apology or also an indication of a man under enormous pressure in recent months? There is no denying that the last two budgets disproportionately affected women and children in this State.

ger12

Yes because the treatment of young women who were sent to 'penitential institutions' is wholly comparable having to balancing the books :roll:
The books have to be balanced. How this happens is a matter of choice.

sic transit

The tears, solely related to the apology or also an indication of a man under enormous pressure in recent months? There is no denying that the last two budgets disproportionately affected women and children in this State.
Make of it what you will but IMO you're grasping here because it's an issue that annoys you. The hard hearted bastard in me lost interest when you laid de "vulnerable" on me.

Radix

Who are you referring to here?

Who do you think?

The narrative is church bad, State good!

The OP posits that for all the tears in the world, the new secular bishops are no saints themselves when it comes to the protection of human rights.