• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Ted Cunningham sentenced to 10 years

mccafferty cat

Many prominent people on this site were desperate to portray Cunningham as an innocent victim of Garda/media scapegoating at the time of his arrest. Isn't it funny how quiet they are now, in the face of the damning evidence that emerged against this incredible crook

Many prominent people on this site were desperate to portray Cunningham as an innocent victim of Garda/media scapegoating at the time of his arrest. Isn't it funny how quiet they are now, in the face of the damning evidence that emerged against this incredible crook
They're still here, they're of a certain political hue, of course. They're also very quick jumping in to dismiss any mention of a particular associate of Cunningham's. I saw it only yesterday. Shocking, not...

mccafferty cat

Various issues arose from this trial which can't be ignored, and suggest that the Garda investigation into this affair is ongoing.

1) It emerged during the trial that Cunningham had previously been under investigation by the Gardai for IRA membership.

2) Cunningham himself claimed in evidence that Gardai had photographic proof of meetings held between Cuningham, Phil Flynn and leading IRA members at a farm in Ravensdale, Co Louth in late 2004

3) In 2002 and 2003, while he was working as a "trouble-shooter" for Bertie Ahern, Garda Special Branch detectives saw Brian Keenan, a member of the IRA Army Council, visiting Phil Flynn regularly at his home in Dublin.

4) They also saw south Armagh criminal Thomas "Slob" Murphy, (then IRA Chief of Staff) meeting with Phil Flynn on a regular basis.

5) At one point that police north and south were examining the Bank of Scotland Ireland loan book, for possible connections between Phil Flynn and IRA front companies (it's unclear if this line is still being followed, following the collapse of the trial in Belfast)

6) Phil Flynn's persistent claims - in the face of damning evidence to the contrary - that Cunningham and Chesterton finance would eventually be vindicated

Last edited:

sakhee

I hope he doesn't end up taking the can for the whole thing. There's bigger fish to fry.
Agreed but it's nice to see a decent sentence although I suppose he'll probably only serve 5 or 6 years.

ManOfReason

Is there any crime you can do in this country, short of manslaughter/murder, that you will get you more than 10 years for committing?

He hasn't even had his second shot at the court of criminal appeals yet - where they knock 25% of the sentence as a reward for going to the bother of appealing.

Dunlin3

He should have got the full 14, which I believe was the maximum sentence. He'll be out in 6. It's a shame they didn't have enough on Fingers Flynn. They could have kept each other company.

Abacus

Be interesting to see how the defenders of this Cork conman go about muddying the waters. Any of you who think they won't just haven't been around long enough.

He should have got the full 14, which I believe was the maximum sentence. He'll be out in 6. It's a shame they didn't have enough on Fingers Flynn. They could have kept each other company.
the sentence mitigated to 10 years according to the Irish Times

quote: There were some mitigating factors in Cunningham's favour including his age, poor health in that he suffers from a blood disorder, heriditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia and the fact that he had no previous convictions and had previously been of blameless good character.

Last edited:

stanley

the sentence mitigated to 10 years according to the Irish Times

quote: There were some mitigating factors in Cunningham's favour including his age, poor health in that he suffers from a blood disorder, heriditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia and the fact that he had no previous convictions and had previously been of blameless good character.

Cunningham to pay State €340,000 - The Irish Times - Mon, Jul 27, 2009

This is all very well the State going after the dough which was probably sitting in a current account somewhere but people want the links back to the IRA, they want Flynn ruled in or out, the burd who was the go-between, the people who got cars out of it, is the son going to help, can they track the lads who gave Ted the money.

stanley

Desperate Dan

The plods fooked up, now he is entitled to his money back. That is whats wrong with this country, we have people in position of authority that do not know their ar$e from their elbow.

True Republican

The plods fooked up, now he is entitled to his money back. That is whats wrong with this country, we have people in position of authority that do not know their ar$e from their elbow.
I agree, i hope he sues the state to the hilt, this is a huge miscarriage of justice.

tokkie

I agree, i hope he sues the state to the hilt, this is a huge miscarriage of justice.
No it is not you tool. This does not rank with the Birmingham Six or Guildford Four. The warrant was defective.

Besides I am sure you read this part of the article:

However the 63-year-old from Farran, Co Cork is facing a retrial on nine less serious charges of laundering smaller sums from the £26.5m robbery in Belfast in December 2004.