Teetotal London Mayor says there’s too little drunkenness and drug-taking

Old Mr Grouser

You’re not going to believe this, but it’s true and it’s serious.

The mayor of London Sadiq Khan - a teetotal Muslim - is saying he’s worried that the number of gay pubs and clubs in London has fallen from in 2006 to 53 this year.

And he’s calling for urgent action to protect those still remaining - Mayor calls for urgent action to save London's LGBT venues after report reveals more than half closed in last 10 years | London Evening Standard

He’s also on record as being worried about the overall number of pub closures in London. This is from a mayoral press-release that he issued three months ago -

The Mayor Sadiq Khan has pledged to help halt the decline in the number of pubs in London, as he released new figures that reveal the number of locals in the capital have fallen by a quarter since 2001.

The shocking figures - which show 1,220 pubs have been lost in the last 15 years ...

I’ve made safeguarding and growing the night-time economy a key priority and this simply isn’t possible without a thriving pub scene.

https://www.london.gov.uk/press-release
It infuriated me that someone who isn’t a drinker himself - and who very likely hasn’t experienced alcoholism within his own family - should be promoting the benefits of booze to the general population, and at the taxpayers’ expense.

It's a blatant abuse of his authority, and it reminds me of how, when I was younger and working, there were a few times that English people working with me who were teetotal themselves but seemed to think that I was getting above myself because I didn't either. They were the same squad who thought Irish people shouldn't be buying their own houses etc.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Strange take on it, Mr Grouser. I don't see where the Mayor of London is promoting drunkenness and drug-taking in all that.

There is a general issue with pubs closing in the UK. Mostly because people are saving money by buying extremely cheap loss-leader booze at home from major supermarkets who are playing suppliers off against each other and demanding a sort of race to the bottom in alcohol prices off the shelf.

Add to that the phenomena of people partying and barbeque-ing at home and the pub business is in serious decline. The rise in popularity of entertaining at home along with the demand for decking as the last ten year fad has also contributed to the loss of business for public houses.

I know of one village that has bought its only pub in order to prevent its closure. If it closed the older people would have nowhere to go as there is no village hall facility.

In urban areas the closure of neighbourhood pubs means a further atomisation of society.

Old Mr Grouser

... In urban areas the closure of neighbourhood pubs means a further atomisation of society.
I'd say that it's exactly the opposite.

Overall pubs disrupt local communities.

Pubs only cater for the people who drink, and particularly they cater for the heavy drinkers - the 'problem drinkers'- those people are the most profitable part of their business.

Mitsui2

No offence intended, Grouser - as I hope you'll know by now - but is it possible that to some degree at least you're conflating your own obvious (and it seems to me well deserved) personal past resentments with Khan's attempt to defend a sector that brings multiple of millions of quid into the city he is mayor of?

London is one of the "must visit" spots for gays from around the world because of its rich gay culture, and still (however oddly, some serious beer dinkers seem to think) the same for beerheads - except the Yanks, of course, whose mainstream beers are still light years below even UK & Irish norms,never mind the serious continental beers that UK consumers will soon have to pay such an ugly import tax on.

What with the dictates of your Faith, gays and drink must by definition be sorta redlight issues for you. Khan, however, is the Mayor of London, and does not have (if you'll pardon the word) the leisure of being able to indulge his private beliefs. On the face of it at least (and I stand wide open to correction) this looks to me like him doing his job. It is England, it is 2017 and it is money: morals don't come into it.

He always said he'd be a mayor for all of London. The majority of voters believed him, and barring the Siamese twins of Muslim extremists and Islamophobes he still appears to be a very popular Mayor, which suggests that he's seen as being exactly what he promised.

I know it's just an OP, and that other facts will emerge one way or another. I respect you very much as a straight talker, but are you really sure you're not - taking a very broad view - overreacting maybe even a tiny bit.

Not claiming you are, but just sort of wondering.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Well the 'problem drinkers' are now able to get as much alcohol as they like at rates they could only have dreamed of years ago and that is from the supermarkets who are selling great slabs of cans of high strength beer for a few quid.

Ironic when you think of the old Irish thing of being able to buy your groceries, post a letter, get a newspaper and have a pint in a tiny shop all in the same place.

Now the supermarkets are doing the same but in a football field sized environment.

Should we be closing supermarkets because of their contribution to drunkenness?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Personally there would be an enormous knock-on effect for me if the pubs all went out of business.

I would have to give up velocipedal bicycularism as there is no way I'd get on that thing sober past eight in the evening.

Mitsui2

I'd say that it's exactly the opposite.

Overall pubs disrupt local communities.

Pubs only cater for the people who drink, and particularly they cater for the heavy drinkers - the 'problem drinkers'- those people are the most profitable part of their business.
Traditionally the most profitable longterm part of any local pub's business is the punter who comes in after work, has a couple of pints, chats with his mates (who are likewise coming in after work and having a couple of pints) and then goes home.

Every day.

The heavy drinker may be the obvious headline act, but in and of himself (except in certain very limited circumstances) he butters no publican's longterm parsnips (so to speak).

As such in many places - most especially since the decline in church-going - the pub is the place where the local community meets. Far from disrupting the communty, they're what holds it together.

You're simply wrong there, Grouser.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
How would I navigate around the place if there were no pubs? I can generally point Stuka at one pub and velocipedalise myself home bicycularly safe in the knowledge that the central pub is at my back and I am therefore very much at one with the compass.

How would I give directions to anyone else? 'Take a right there at the Dragon and a few hundred yards further on take a left there by the Champion of the Thames and bob's your uncle and you can't miss it.'

I'd be confronted with having to unlearn everything I know and having to learn street names and to be honest with you I'm not going to do that. I've had enough of education and it only brings down trouble.

Sync

You’re not going to believe this, but it’s true and it’s serious.
Spoiler alert: Barring there being a London mayor is who is in fact teetotal, none of the rest is true.

Old Mr Grouser

... What with the dictates of your Faith, gays and drink must by definition be sorta redlight issues for you
It's not a matter of Faith, Mitzie.

Both my mother and father, as with most of their families, were very heavy drinkers.

And the 'London Nighttime economy', as it's called, is all about drunkenness.

I'm here in London and I can see it for myself when I'm out in the evening. With cheap supermarket drink the young men and women are in a drunken and shameless state on their going to the West End clubs and pubs.

(And it's the same in Ireland - Gardai in Caherciveen to clamp down on drink-related late night violence | Radio Kerry - and again, from what I'm hearing, it's tolerated because of political pressure; the AGS tend to do their breath-tests where and when people are the least likely to be the worst for wear.)

Sync

nationalsday

How would I navigate around the place if there were no pubs? I can generally point Stuka at one pub and velocipedalise myself home bicycularly safe in the knowledge that the central pub is at my back and I am therefore very much at one with the compass.

How would I give directions to anyone else? 'Take a right there at the Dragon and a few hundred yards further on take a left there by the Champion of the Thames and bob's your uncle and you can't miss it.'

I'd be confronted with having to unlearn everything I know and having to learn street names and to be honest with you I'm not going to do that. I've had enough of education and it only brings down trouble.
When visiting town you could always bring a piece of chalk in your pocket and carefully mark the street corners in order to help you find your way back to the bus station etc. Also after exiting one public house mark a simple x on the outside wall so that you will know that you have already visited. If the visit is short you could also consider relieving your bladder against the corners/outside pub wall, and hope that it doesn't rain. At least that's what I do..

Old Mr Grouser

The bit where he said there was too little drunkenness and drug taking. Where did he say that?
"To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled." Paul's letter to Titus, chapter 1, verse 15

What else do you think the 'London nightime economy' is about? At least as far as the pubs and clubs are concerned; particularly the gay venues.

Old Mr Grouser

The bit where he said there was too little drunkenness and drug taking. Where did he say that?
Khan would never say anything straight out. He used to be a Human Rights lawyer; and that's no compliment. They're as bad and unprincipled as barristers; they're totally unprincipled, and they'll argue for or against anything if the Legal Aid Board or similar is ready to fund it.

FunkyBoogaloo

I guess since Alcohol is a drug Grouser's gets away with the thread title on that technicality... although I can't see where the MoL is calling for more of it (or either).

He wants to save a few gay bars, and open some others perhaps. It's's an issue for the citizens living and voting in London to worry about, really.

Were it an Irish politician I'd roll my eyes and think to myself... "eejit!"... especially with the drink. Wouldn't mind a few more vitamin TH&C imbibers though. Can't beat a bit of laughter on the streets... and the food outlets and 24hr garages would do a meaner trade in the munchie factor. Ka-chong!

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
When visiting town you could always bring a piece of chalk in your pocket and carefully mark the street corners in order to help you find your way back to the bus station etc. Also after exiting one public house mark a simple x on the outside wall so that you will know that you have already visited. If the visit is short you could also consider relieving your bladder against the corners/outside pub wall, and hope that it doesn't rain. At least that's what I do..
I see no role for the noble bicycle in that proposal and therefore must reject it as unworkable. I suppose I could lean on the bike sideways against the pub wall like Lee Marvin and his horse but I would not wish to get ahead of the committee's findings on that element of the proposal.

nationalsday

Khan would never say anything straight out. He used to be a Human Rights lawyer; and that's no compliment. They're as bad and unprincipled as barristers; they're totally unprincipled, and they'll argue for or against anything if the Legal Aid Board or similar is ready to fund it.
Yes they should be principled and work entirely for free for the whole of their lives. They could collect wild berries and nuts for food. A simple shelter can be made from bin bags to house their families - it's far more noble and principled than ever looking for any sort of remuneration..

roc_

A newly designed and built, town, perfectly clean, sterile, and homogenous, with no such nuisances as coloured people, or gays, or debaucherous young people, drinking too much, and enjoying themselves, is probably the solution. A town built perfectly in the image of an old, puritanical, boring, hard-working white old man, who likes Daniel O'Donnell, is clearly in order. :roll:

New Threads

Most Replies