Telegraph deputy editor calls on Britain 'to capitalise on Ireland's weakness'

readytogo

Can George Osborne capitalise on Ireland's weakness? – Telegraph Blogs

We should be doing what we can to save Ireland from disaster. But charity should have a purpose. If Ireland is about to lose its place as a magnet for inward investment, we should take its place. Taking advantage of Ireland’s weakness should be Mr Osborne’s task.​

Also from the Telegraph: British banks have £140 billion exposure to Ireland's economic crisis - Telegraph

A very elastic definition of 'charity' is being used here. These are loans that we will have to pay back, with interest. Britain exports more to Ireland than China, Russia, India, and Brazil combined. So they really don't have a lot of options here. If they push us into raising our corporation tax rate, we can just threaten to push the self-destruct button, destroying them in the process.

Cael

Ireland's difficulty is England's opportunity...

MPB

It is Britains difficulty not Irelands. It was their delinquent Private Banks that lent to our delinquent Private Banks.

Threaten to liquidate the Banks, guaranteeing only deposits up to the current 100k and sit back and watch Britain and the EU crawl over hot coals to negotiate on our terms.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
So ah is there any anti-bailout protest being organised or is the 1000 people viewing this site as useless (I count myself here) as the 2,000,000 watching the soaps and staring at soccer games at the moment?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKDFop0aqYQ]YouTube - Rise Before Zod, Kneel Before Zod[/ame]

General Zod of IMF fame Speaks!;

Zod on "St. Patrick's Day"
Slaves of the planet Ireland, it has come to my attention that there is a growing problem which shows its defiant green head once a year. The problem is that many of my slaves have been worshipping someone besides me. This insolent old fool goes by the name "Saint Patrick"...

Think about him... he actually believes he is superior because he can command some lowly snakes to kneel before him? The truth is, this "saint" is lower than the snakes which he commands. Snakes do not have knees, foolish Patrick, but humans do. Oh but you've found ways to make them kneel as well, haven't you Patrick? Do not think you can even begin to compare yourself to the almighty Zod, for while I make my human slaves kneel because they fear for the termination of their very lives, the only way you can make them kneel is by drugging them with a green elixir. No style at all...

I'm sure most of you humans have foolishly consumed your fair share of these green "beverages" during these so-called Saint Patrick festivities. What amuses me most, is how this Saint Patrick has deceived you puny mortals. He entices you with these colorful liquids, making you believe that once you consume them, you shall be overflowing with green holiday glee. I suppose "overflowing" is a somewhat accurate description of what happens to a slave when it decides to abandon Zod and join the cowardly Saint Patrick.

Yes. You see, you humans have been mislead by this "saint" who wishes to fill your bodies with green toxins. Toxins which cloud your minds and eventually bring you to your knees. But fear not, as the only being on planet Ireland that is worthy of worship and undying devotion, I have decided to destroy this false deity...

DIE AS YOU DESERVE TO, SAINT PATRICK!

There, now that you have witnessed the destruction of this pseudo-saint, I believe it is time for all of you slaves to get back to doing what you do best: Kneeling before Zod! And I am sure it goes without saying that from this day forth, Saint Patrick's Day will no longer be. In its place, you shall all praise Saint Zod's Day forever!

NOW KNEEL BEFORE THE ALL-POWERFUL BLACK SHAMROCK OF THE IMF!

midlander12

We should be doing what we can to save Ireland from disaster. But charity should have a purpose. If Ireland is about to lose its place as a magnet for inward investment, we should take its place. Taking advantage of Ireland’s weakness should be Mr Osborne’s task.​

Also from the Telegraph: British banks have £140 billion exposure to Ireland's economic crisis - Telegraph

A very elastic definition of 'charity' is being used here. These are loans that we will have to pay back, with interest. Britain exports more to Ireland than China, Russia, India, and Brazil combined. So they really don't have a lot of options here. If they push us into raising our corporation tax rate, we can just threaten to push the self-destruct button, destroying them in the process.

Expatriot

I say pull the deck of cards down, we are broke anyway. Lets see a few German and UK banks getting on the phone to the ECB. We are an injured cornered animal now, we are dangerous. Play on it. First step, call an election. That will really screw them up, buys us weeks of doing nothing.

midlander12

I presume we are not looking for 'charity' from them. Of course they are 'exposed' to our banks and what's left of our buying power, but they still have rather more options than we do. It'll be many years or decades before we're in a position to take part in a multi-billion dollar rescue of some floundering banana republic. The best we can hope for from anyone at present is 'enlightened self-interest'.

Last edited:

Sariel

Its smart, the Irish government should get together the heads of the MNCs in Ireland who would bid the US government on our behalf to rescue Ireland since the profits on MNCs end up in the US anyway and since the US can't become insolvent they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.;)

midlander12

I say pull the deck of cards down, we are broke anyway. Lets see a few German and UK banks getting on the phone to the ECB. We are an injured cornered animal now, we are dangerous. Play on it. First step, call an election. That will really screw them up, buys us weeks of doing nothing.
An injured cornered animal usually ends up being killed if it tries to attack anything. The only result of delaying things for a few weeks would be to ensure a complete failure of the Irish banking system including the loss of deposits. Now if you are prepared to advocate everyone in this country with money in Irish banks losing their money, not to mention the economic chaos that would ensue, then you should be prepared to say it. The fact that the govt and the banks (mostly) got us into this mess does not mean we can just ignore it and hope it goes away.

Gemlarkin

Ireland's difficulty is ireland's opportunity!

Ireland's difficulty is England's opportunity...
Ireland's difficulty is ireland's opportunity!

Time to demand the ECB buys the Irish banks and their debts

oneworld77

An injured cornered animal usually ends up being killed if it tries to attack anything. The only result of delaying things for a few weeks would be to ensure a complete failure of the Irish banking system including the loss of deposits. Now if you are prepared to advocate everyone in this country with money in Irish banks losing their money, not to mention the economic chaos that would ensue, then you should be prepared to say it. The fact that the govt and the banks (mostly) got us into this mess does not mean we can just ignore it and hope it goes away.

Yes it does - get the bondholders on the hook and the foreign governments too. This is very much our opportunity. My family have withdrawn everything they have from the banks in Ireland. I'm sure they're not alone. So what if the banks go kaput. I was in Argentina when they were going through something similar - including 3 presidents in a week - and all is well now. The country didn't burn, there was no coup d'etat, nobody died.
Let it happen and start afresh - with one caveat - those (political, banking and legal) who got us into this mess should be charged, tried and justice - if judged necessary- be applied

New Threads

Most Replies