Telegraph Poll: 60% support Brexit even if it causes UK breakup

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
From the same article and poll:

" Asked whether they would still back Brexit “even if I knew it could lead to the breakup of the UK”, 51 per cent of voters agreed and 38 per cent disagreed. The rest said they did not know. "

I guess a headline which said "almost 40% of voters who voted for Brexit, wouldn't do so again if they knew that it would break up the UK", wouldn't suit the Torygraph.
Neatly put

Nemesiscorporation

They are tired of having open borders rammed down their throats. They are tired of the ECJ (not just the ECHR) preventing terrorists being deported. The ECJ prevented the wife of Abu Hamza being deported.

However for Ireland I am greatly concerned we could become the next Calais. Very concerned many of the 1 million Eastern EU citizens could move here in advance of Brexit. I have a lot of time for Poles but having waited 5 hours in A+E the last thing we need are another million people in the space of a few years.
Can't see another Calais forming in Ireland. However if it did happen the only possible places would be at Bridgend on the Derry Border, Lifford on the Strabane border or most likely the border at Newry. 10000 muslims running wild there would soon lead to a serious clash with locals. Government wouldn't allow it to happen.

derryman

And?
Even Teresa May backed Remain but she would now support Brexit.
The poll was based on 2000 voters.
It didnt say they were people who voted for Brexit last June.
Teresa to date has not explained how a bad decision before her elevation to PM became a good decision afterwards

derryman

On the face of it support for Brexit has increased, hardly surprising given the childish tantrums of the EU over the result. Getting out of infants playground seems by far the better option. The 'punishing ' of Britain is just getting their backs up and will be remembered in future years, mark my words, the British haven't forgotten the events of 75 years ago let alone last summer.
Unfortunately the English , British if you wish have the same skewed understanding of events 75 years ago as of 1 year ago. Neither view is founded in fact.

Cdebru

If they called a second referendum tomorrow I'd say it would be 70-30 for Brexit.
The Doomsayers have been found out.
I'd hold off on saying anyone has been found out just yet, the UK hasn't actually left the EU or broken up yet, they are still in the single market so claiming predictions about what will happen when they do have been found out is a little previous.

gleeful

Can't see another Calais forming in Ireland. However if it did happen the only possible places would be at Bridgend on the Derry Border, Lifford on the Strabane border or most likely the border at Newry. 10000 muslims running wild there would soon lead to a serious clash with locals. Government wouldn't allow it to happen.
The reason people collect at Calais is 1) they are illegally in the EU 2) they can't live and work in France (or any other Schengen country) because they need ID cards and there are proper controls and 3) the UK doens't have ID cards so they would be able to work there.

The only reason Calais-style camps would form in Ireland would be if we joined Schengen and brought in ID cards. If we don't join Schengen, those people wouldn't be able to come here from mainland EU in the first place. If we don't have ID cards, illegal immigrants could live and work here illegally and wouldn't need to go to the UK.

Mad as Fish

Unfortunately the English , British if you wish have the same skewed understanding of events 75 years ago as of 1 year ago. Neither view is founded in fact.
I think they appreciated the Germans were were bombing the feck out of them, I guess that can influence ones thinking.

Mad as Fish

The reason people collect at Calais is 1) they are illegally in the EU 2) they can't live and work in France (or any other Schengen country) because they need ID cards and there are proper controls and 3) the UK doens't have ID cards so they would be able to work there.

The only reason Calais-style camps would form in Ireland would be if we joined Schengen and brought in ID cards. If we don't join Schengen, those people wouldn't be able to come here from mainland EU in the first place. If we don't have ID cards, illegal immigrants could live and work here illegally and wouldn't need to go to the UK.
What have ID cards got to with it? Nothing, unless you are some sort of ultra statist who is so insecure that you have a need to try and centrally control everyone and everything.

gleeful

What have ID cards got to with it? Nothing, unless you are some sort of ultra statist who is so insecure that you have a need to try and centrally control everyone and everything.
Why dont the people in the Calais camps live and work in France? Because they can't - they dont have permission and unlike the UK, the rules are actually enforced in France. So they try to get to the UK where they can work regardless of the rules.

France (and all mainland countries) enforce the rules using ID cards. Unless you have a valid ID card/passport/work permit you can't get a job, a bank account, a flat, nothing. In the UK the black economy can provide all these things. That is why people camp in Calais waiting months for a chance to get to the UK.

Mad as Fish

Why dont the people in the Calais camps live and work in France? Because they can't - they dont have permission and unlike the UK, the rules are actually enforced in France. So they try to get to the UK where they can work regardless of the rules.

France (and all mainland countries) enforce the rules using ID cards. Unless you have a valid ID card/passport/work permit you can't get a job, a bank account, a flat, nothing. In the UK the black economy can provide all these things. That is why people camp in Calais waiting months for a chance to get to the UK.
I think you'll find that the black economy can do much the same wherever you go, it can even provide bogus ID cards.

gleeful

I think you'll find that the black economy can do much the same wherever you go, it can even provide bogus ID cards.
Sure - but you have to be far more wealthy to do it in France than in the UK. For the UK you just need to show up. They know that, thats why they show up.

jams odonnell

We have so much empty factory space near Birmingham ready and waiting. We have the plans! We have the designs!

Once we are free of EU red tape we can start making great Rover cars again,

British workers making Great British cars again!

Then we change the Commonwealth rules to stop our kith and kin buying those terrible foreign cars.

Time to shut up Bremainermoaners,

Walnut dash and Wedgewood gearknob!

Believe!

Truth.ie

Nonsense.
The French specifically built accomodation for the illegals at Calais and French papers.
They refused.

gleeful

Nonsense.
The French specifically built accomodation for the illegals at Calais and French papers.
They refused.
They built them 'French papers'? So why do you think they want to go to the UK? For the weather?

jams odonnell

I hear the French are planning to give them all British papers soon.

Why on earth did the French spend all those years stopping people entering the UK. Never made sense!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies