Telephone call

Got a call a couple of minutes ago

They - Hi I'm Alan and could I speak to Mr G.....

Me - Nope he doesn't live here

T -Mr H then

M- Nope he doesn't live here either

T- So who am I speaking with

M -Why do you want to know

T- We are doing a survey and it could benefit you financially, Its not a con etc and I need your details

M - Not a chance as why do you need my details at all as I don't want to speak to you

Really turned it on its head when I demanded they provide me with all their details including registered address, registered office, names of directors etc.

Went to music for a minute then he came back on asking my name again as he was clearly stumped.

Then transferred me to Supervisor who said he was Adam Smith.......er right.

Kept wanting my name and address but I just insisted he provide me with all details as call was now being listened into by Police as it was now a harassment call and they would be visiting the office quite soon to speak with him.

Got an "Oh and click"

Guess they won't call vback for a while :D

zakalwe

odie1kanobe said:
Got a call a couple of minutes ago

They - Hi I'm Alan and could I speak to Mr G.....

Me - Nope he doesn't live here

T -Mr H then

M- Nope he doesn't live here either

T- So who am I speaking with

M -Why do you want to know

T- We are doing a survey and it could benefit you financially, Its not a con etc and I need your details

M - Not a chance as why do you need my details at all as I don't want to speak to you

Really turned it on its head when I demanded they provide me with all their details including registered address, registered office, names of directors etc.

Went to music for a minute then he came back on asking my name again as he was clearly stumped.

Then transferred me to Supervisor who said he was Adam Smith.......er right.

Kept wanting my name and address but I just insisted he provide me with all details as call was now being listened into by Police as it was now a harassment call and they would be visiting the office quite soon to speak with him.

Got an "Oh and click"

Guess they won't call vback for a while :D
good on ya! irritating and intrusive b@st@rds!

Slartibuckfast

Website
www.5wwwww5.com
I just say to those kind of calls 'Stop. Stop talking. Stop now, listen, you're still talking. Right. Take my number off your list and don't phone back here. Thank you now, bye'. Hateful things.

Slartibuckfast said:
I just say to those kind of calls 'Stop. Stop talking. Stop now, listen, you're still talking. Right. Take my number off your list and don't phone back here. Thank you now, bye'. Hateful things.
Tried that one before and it never happened.

Police involved they don't know if its true or not.

moghroth said:
If you switch to speaking as Gaeilge, they definitely won't bother you again. It also works for the religious in the suits!
As Jasper Carrot used to push on The best thing is say you will listen to their message if they have a beer with you first.

Slartibuckfast

Website
www.5wwwww5.com
odie1kanobe said:
Slartibuckfast said:

It did seem to work for me. I haven't had a call like that in ages (as soon I finish this post I bet I'll get one now).

Police involved?

ArtyQueing

Same with banks when they hassle you - you know the initial "hello - I am from X , before we proceed I need to do some security checks" let the say what they want from you and then go into the same mode as them. "Sorry, I cannot give out my personal details to a stranger - I am sure if you work in a bank that you will appreciate this - can you prove to me who you are?"

Usually gets you a couple of weeks grace to get the finances sorted.

More tips from Giro Valley to follow

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
I have a mobile with the number withheld, and it's ex-directory. I have no landline, and I use skype for long-distance calls when at home.
I used to have a landline, but I basically was getting phone-spammed every single evening (my number was in the book, and I'd had the same one at the same address for years.)
I had a bit of hassle trying to get broadband without a landline, but once that was sorted I live in a phone-spam free world. I highly recommend it.

TheBear

odie1kanobe said:
Slartibuckfast said:

It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, as it depends on the type of list the company making the calls is using. Some companies use an actual list, in which case your number can be removed. I remember being told before, though, that some companies have machines that randomly generate phone numbers and try calling them. This was the explanation given when they kept on trying to call our fax machine for a few weeks.

zakalwe

Slartibuckfast said:
odie1kanobe said:
Slartibuckfast said:

It did seem to work for me. I haven't had a call like that in ages (as soon I finish this post I bet I'll get one now).

Police involved?
if they persist, get a shrill whistle (ordinary referee's whistle will do!) and give them a blast down the line. their ears will be ringing for hours!!!!

Sidewinder

I find the direct approach works best. As soon as they start talking and you realise it's some cold-calling marketdroid scumbag, just unleash a stream of abuse about, eh, cold-calling marketdroid scumbags, tell him if he ever phones your number again you'll reach down the phoneline and rip out his throat, and hang up.

Once you do it three or four times your number will amazingly and mysteriously vanish from cold-calling lists everywhere, and you'll never be plagued by these evil little parasites ever again.

I've noticed a massive upsurge in the number of these calls coming in to the office recently though. Last 2 months it seems like every other call is somebody cold-calling. Persistent little feckers. I keep trying to tell the others in the office to simply tell them to get lost and hang up, but one girl in particular, poor naive soul, keeps trying to help them. One born every minute, and I guess at least we know who the Victim of some improbable scam is going to be. *sigh*

ArtyQueing

Sidewinder said:
I find the direct approach works best. As soon as they start talking and you realise it's some cold-calling marketdroid scumbag, just unleash a stream of abuse about, eh, cold-calling marketdroid scumbags, tell him if he ever phones your number again you'll reach down the phoneline and rip out his throat, and hang up.

Once you do it three or four times your number will amazingly and mysteriously vanish from cold-calling lists everywhere, and you'll never be plagued by these evil little parasites ever again.

I've noticed a massive upsurge in the number of these calls coming in to the office recently though. Last 2 months it seems like every other call is somebody cold-calling. Persistent little feckers. I keep trying to tell the others in the office to simply tell them to get lost and hang up, but one girl in particular, poor naive soul, keeps trying to help them. One born every minute, and I guess at least we know who the Victim of some improbable scam is going to be. *sigh*
no sidewinder - you cannot treat people like that - the poor sod who makes those calls is probably on his uppers and is getting ripped off by the employers too

myksav

ArtyQueing said:
Same with banks when they hassle you - you know the initial "hello - I am from X , before we proceed I need to do some security checks" let the say what they want from you and then go into the same mode as them. "Sorry, I cannot give out my personal details to a stranger - I am sure if you work in a bank that you will appreciate this - can you prove to me who you are?"

Usually gets you a couple of weeks grace to get the finances sorted.

More tips from Giro Valley to follow
A bank never asks for account or personal details over the phone or by email. The most they will do by phone is ask you to go to your local branch on appointment. Usually, it's by hard copy letter via An Post.

For those wierd calls, I find that saying "you have the wrong number" and hanging up works. They give up after two or thre calls.
The funniest are the " you have won a carribean cruise...." . "No thanks, I get seasick" shuts them up. Or just listen silently for a few seconds and hang up. They're mostly recorded voices.

Slartibuckfast said:
odie1kanobe said:
Slartibuckfast said:

Police involved?
Yup tell them they are now listening and recording it and can trace their call even though they blocked the number.

Kazakh

JCSkinner said:
I have a mobile with the number withheld, and it's ex-directory. I have no landline, and I use skype for long-distance calls when at home.
I used to have a landline, but I basically was getting phone-spammed every single evening (my number was in the book, and I'd had the same one at the same address for years.)
I had a bit of hassle trying to get broadband without a landline, but once that was sorted I live in a phone-spam free world. I highly recommend it.
I was thinking of ditching my landline and replacing it with skype, but I've found the call quality can be crap-to-unusable at times. Yours work ok?

Slartibuckfast

Website
www.5wwwww5.com
JCSkinner said:
I'd love to be able to get broadband with a landline. How do you do it (although I'm on a 2 year contract with robbing b@stards BT at the moment).

Slartibuckfast

Website
www.5wwwww5.com
TheBear said:
odie1kanobe said:
Slartibuckfast said:

It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, as it depends on the type of list the company making the calls is using. Some companies use an actual list, in which case your number can be removed. I remember being told before, though, that some companies have machines that randomly generate phone numbers and try calling them. This was the explanation given when they kept on trying to call our fax machine for a few weeks.
I know there is, from UK numbers anyway, a number you can ring in order to get them to stop. My oul pair had to use it because they were tortured by them night and day for months. I haven't had to. I don't know if any such service exists for southern numbers.

Victor Meldrew

Got a call a while back :

"Hi, my name is mick, I'm calling from [major big 4 accounting firm], can I speak to the [major Irish bank] account holder"

Me: "are you serious? do you honestly think I'm going to talk to you or let anyone her talk to you???"

Him: "Uh....."

Me: "Click"

I mean really.........

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies