Terminal 2 advertising campaign. Why?

firefly123

Watching the goggle box last night when an ad came on for the new terminal 2 in Dublin airport. Very glossy it was too. So glossy that it took me a few seconds to figure out what the ad was for. Eventually after much talk about small islands in the ocean and great achievements of our nation I copped on that they are plugging a terminal building that you may or may not use depending on the airline you fly with.

It's a bloody air terminal. It's like the Vatican advertising limbo or purgatory. Needless to say it was very well made and no doubt cost tax payers a small fortune. Do we really need to advertise this? I suppose they have made the bloody ad they may as well show it.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Terminal 2 is a business. They are going to be selling themselves to airlines, advertisers (for billboards and other space), franchises (MacDonalds, etc.), and countless other potential revenue sources, including customers of airlines who influence their airlines' choice of terminal.

Given the reduction in the size of the economy, however, and the further shrinking we are likely to see, I can't see how they're going to do anything other than cannibalise T1 revenue, and spend money in doing so. There is no net new business coming, so it can only come from existing business. That's DAA for you.

Michael O'Leary is a disrespectful idiot who has made as many bad plays as he has made bad photos, but he's right about DAA. A bunch of overpaid, state protected, ineffective bureaucrats who wouldn't know a business plan if it hit them in the head.

alonso

meh. No harm in showing progress, despite the cavemen opposing new infrastructure.

stripey cat

We have a new terminal in Dublin airport? That's amazing. I hadn't heard anything about it...

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
It's an impressive sight to approach and along with the new Convention Centre in Dublin sure to become an Iconic building.

Ireland really needs far more advertising. Our most beautiful locations should appear on all the buses in Dublin.

Nonsence & lies

Terminal 2 is a business. They are going to be selling themselves to airlines, advertisers (for billboards and other space), franchises (MacDonalds, etc.), and countless other potential revenue sources, including customers of airlines who influence their airlines' choice of terminal.

Given the reduction in the size of the economy, however, and the further shrinking we are likely to see, I can't see how they're going to do anything other than cannibalise T1 revenue, and spend money in doing so. There is no net new business coming, so it can only come from existing business. That's DAA for you.

Michael O'Leary is a disrespectful idiot who has made as many bad plays as he has made bad photos, but he's right about DAA. A bunch of overpaid, state protected, ineffective bureaucrats who wouldn't know a business plan if it hit them in the head.
There is new business coming, they stole several oportunities that shannon airport management worked hard to gain, first announced will be air india.

lobby

Net 500 new jobs to operate a 2nd terminal to cater for fewer passengers than have been handled by one terminal alone. Great business plan.

Yes, it'll probably be a great addition in 20 years time, but for now its a white elephant.

Clanrickard

meh. No harm in showing progress, despite the cavemen opposing new infrastructure.
You call a white elephant owned and run by a bunch of cossetted paper shufflers progress?

firefly123

I am not against the new terminal I just don't see why we needed expensive ads for it. Ok put it in trade and airline magazines but national television? Everyone in the country will know about it when it's shown on the news when it opens. I doubt the chairman of emirates will be watching ads on rte 1

YoungLiberal

You call a white elephant owned and run by a bunch of cossetted paper shufflers progress?
The very people calling T2 a white elephant now, will be the very ones crowing about the stunning 'lack of forward planning' in 15/20 years time when T2 is at full capacity. You don't build terminals based on the short-term.

lobby

There is new business coming, they stole several oportunities that shannon airport management worked hard to gain, first announced will be air india.
In other words, you consider it to be a success when we spend 600m (or 1.2bn, depending on how you add it up) to take business to Dublin that we were going to get in Shannon anyway??

BTW, I do agree we should be looking at trying to hive some business from Heathrow, about 35% of Heathrows passengers are transit, i.e. their destination is not the UK. But getting there would be tough, heathrow has so many international routes it'd be hard to offer a competitive advantage - though we do have the US pre-clearance up our sleeve.

Nonsence & lies

In other words, you consider it to be a success when we spend 600m (or 1.2bn, depending on how you add it up) to take business to Dublin that we were going to get in Shannon anyway??

BTW, I do agree we should be looking at trying to hive some business from Heathrow, about 35% of Heathrows passengers are transit, i.e. their destination is not the UK. But getting there would be tough, heathrow has so many international routes it'd be hard to offer a competitive advantage - though we do have the US pre-clearance up our sleeve.
Not at all that's why I said "Stole"

alonso

It's not a white elephant. It was needed 10 years ago. A recession happened, passenger numbers fell. They'll rise again. It's built to last 100 years not 5.

Caveman thinking alive and well. Better not build Metro North or Dart Underground either eh? Poeple might use them. Business might be facilitated. Nah, better off as sheepherders

locke

Net 500 new jobs to operate a 2nd terminal to cater for fewer passengers than have been handled by one terminal alone. Great business plan.

Yes, it'll probably be a great addition in 20 years time, but for now its a white elephant.
Air India isn't going to establish a hub in Dublin. The runway length sees to that.

And they were never going to establish a hub in Ireland. Their first choice would have been Heathrow, but that's full. After that, an airport that can pick up from the large Indian community in the UK, in addition to India-US traffic. would have been favoured.

But it looks like they're not going to establish a European hub at all anyway.

BTW The terminal isn't just there for next year's capacity. It's there for capacity in 2030. Forward planning and all that. I know we don't like to do it, but it's not a bad idea. Same thing applies to criticism of Cork's "half-full" terminal. They just need to be designed to be adaptable in the face of changes in the aviation industry - fewer check-in desks, less hold baggage.

CookieMonster

I didnt see it but I heard about it. You're right, it's a pointless waste of time and money, when we can least afford the latter.

I'd also add to this the stupidity of advertising Eirgrid... which we also paid for.

firefly123

Eh lads please read the thread title. Whether the terminal should or should not have been constructed has been debated on other threads. It's why they need to advertise on national tv that is the confusing part.

Clanrickard

It's not a white elephant. It was needed 10 years ago. A recession happened, passenger numbers fell. They'll rise again. It's built to last 100 years not 5.

Caveman thinking alive and well. Better not build Metro North or Dart Underground either eh? Poeple might use them. Business might be facilitated. Nah, better off as sheepherders
A 100 years? Who knows what will happen in 100 years. There may not even be planes. They could have built a new airport at a fraction of the price somewhere else and given the DAA some real competition. But no on Bertie's watch de unionz and the DAA were given the gig at a huge cost to the taxpayer and the traveling public.

firefly123

Consider the fact that just down the road in swords they are going to pull an emergency ambulance that covers the entire north county of Dublin due to the HSE refusing to pay Dublin Fire Brigade for the service. I imagine the budget for the ad would have kept that ambulance on the road for a couple of years

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Consider the fact that just down the road in swords they are going to pull an emergency ambulance that covers the entire north county of Dublin due to the HSE refusing to pay Dublin Fire Brigade for the service. I imagine the budget for the ad would have kept that ambulance on the road for a couple of years
I'm with you there but many of those employed at Dublin Airport live in Swords.

Let's hope the pressure put on the local politicians will be successful.

New Threads

Most Replies