• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Terminations and what if?

vanla sighs

I'll keep it short and sweet. Firstly, I'm very much pro-choice. Now, maybe it's been dealt with before but the current Oireachtas Committee meetings got me wondering, a woman has the right to travel for an abortion, she has the right to abortion information but what happens when a) a woman in, for example, a psychiatric unit is pregnant and wants an abortion, for which as things stand, she has to travel abroad for? Or b) a woman is confined to prison, is pregnant but wants an abortion? What happens in these situations? Are the women simply, literally, forced to term?

sondagefaux

If you're a prisoner or a patient confined against your will, certain of your constitutional and human rights are obviously not in effect. Whether that would include your right to travel abroad to get an abortion is probably something the courts would have to rule on.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to ensure the security and safety of a woman in those circumstances. After all, prisoners are regularly brought into hospitals for treatment, and people are regularly extradited abroad.

junius

I'll keep it short and sweet. Firstly, I'm very much pro-choice. Now, maybe it's been dealt with before but the current Oireachtas Committee meetings got me wondering, a woman has the right to travel for an abortion, she has the right to abortion information but what happens when a) a woman in, for example, a psychiatric unit is pregnant and wants an abortion, for which as things stand, she has to travel abroad for? Or b) a woman is confined to prison, is pregnant but wants an abortion? What happens in these situations? Are the women simply, literally, forced to term?
Women used to (even when contraception was banned in Ireland) take reasonable responsibility for ensuring that they didn't become pregnant when they didn't wish to have a child. It is sad to see that as time progresses, despite the easily availability these days of contraception, that some women seem to take less responsibility rather than more. Abortions should never be the easy way out!

PlanetBertie

It does not matter what the Bible states, what the Bishops say, Youth Defence shouts or what God orders, some women when pregnant do not want to have a child. Do we want to go back to back-street abortions? I think not.

vanla sighs

Women used to (even when contraception was banned in Ireland) take reasonable responsibility for ensuring that they didn't become pregnant when they didn't wish to have a child. It is sad to see that as time progresses, despite the easily availability these days of contraception, that some women seem to take less responsibility rather than more. Abortions should never be the easy way out!
Contraceptives are not 100% safe.

vanla sighs

If you're a prisoner or a patient confined against your will, certain of your constitutional and human rights are obviously not in effect. Whether that would include your right to travel abroad to get an abortion is probably something the courts would have to rule on.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to ensure the security and safety of a woman in those circumstances. After all, prisoners are regularly brought into hospitals for treatment, and people are regularly extradited abroad.
Yes, I presume it would end up in court. Would be interesting and could happen.

truthisfree

A woman in the care of the HSE asked for a termination in 2007. The HSE prevented her from travelling. She had to take them to court.

Irish judge stirs up abortion debate by ruling 17-year-old can travel to UK for termination | Society | The Guardian
Once she was shown the scan Miss D decided she would seek an abortion. But the HSE wrongfully told her there was a court order preventing her leaving the country. The agency also wrote to Ireland's police urging them to stop her going abroad. A superintendent wrote back saying he had no powers to detain the girl.
Unbelievable.......Is there monkeys working in the HSE...???

Twin Towers

Ain't you lucky your mother didn't want an abortion and simply, literally, went to term.

Hitch 22

Do you want to spring them?

How about we sneak in disguised as prison guards and take out the governor, set time bombs so the prison guards think the place is under attack from a division and break out in a stolen bus and shoot our way out to the nearest airport?

[video=youtube;b-_P-DoBe6E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_P-DoBe6E[/video]

Last edited:

gatsbygirl20

Women prisoners will be deprived of many rights...including those around the integrity and control of their bodies, choice of options around birth, etc.

Nature is cruel to women as it is. How the species has survived given the physical realities of childbirth for women, could merit some reflection, but to further deprive women of choices and to compel them to experience a birth that they do not want to endure, seems barbaric.

Not alone are women prisoners in the US not given choice around termination, but some states still shackle them during the birth itself...Women are born free in the US but everywhere give birth in chains | Sadhbh Walshe | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Heligoland

Women prisoners will be deprived of many rights...including those around the integrity and control of their bodies, choice of options around birth, etc.

Nature is cruel to women as it is. How the species has survived given the physical realities of childbirth for women, could merit some reflection, but to further deprive women of choices and to compel them to experience a birth that they do not want to endure, seems barbaric.

Not alone are women prisoners in the US not given choice around termination, but some states still shackle them during the birth itself...Women are born free in the US but everywhere give birth in chains | Sadhbh Walshe | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
Prisoners in this country have been shackled when received medical treatment.

Mitsui2

Women used to (even when contraception was banned in Ireland) take reasonable responsibility for ensuring that they didn't become pregnant when they didn't wish to have a child.
I just love the idea that it was somehow entirely the woman's responsibility!

Tres Old School, Junius!

Plus the former size of the average Irish family suggests that they weren't even very good at it.

GDPR

But ending a life doesn't?

The human mind is a strange thing.

GDPR

I see your taking the FF party line and courting the 13th century Catholic red neck vote!!!
Not everything is about votes and if killing the unborn makes you modern man, congratulations, you're welcome to it.

Doesn't seem to have made you any brighter though.

johnny365

Not everything is about votes and if killing the unborn makes you modern man, congratulations, you're welcome to it.

Doesn't seem to have made you any brighter though.
FF serving the RCC masters, nothing new in that. FF and the RCC have been the 2 biggest stumbling blocks to dragging this country out of the stone age.