• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Terms of Reference for Local Boundary Review

davehiggz

Today Phil Hogan released the terms of reference for the Local Electoral Area Boundary review.

Cllr. Kieran Dennison: Terms of Reference for the 2012/13 Local Electoral Area Boundary Review

Some very interesting points:

Each LEA will have a minimum of 6 councillors and a maximum of 10.
7 is the recommended size.

Limerick, Waterford and Tipperary all set to merge.

Dublin City Council will have 63 councillors (up from 52)
Cort County Council will have 55 (up from 48)

The remaining county councils will have between 18 and 40 members each.

There should be one member for every 4,830 population in each council area

4 extra councillors can be added in each council, above this proportionality.
4 extra councillors per lost borough council, 1 extra councillor per lost town council.
5 extra councillors in cases where city and county councils merge. Limerick and Waterford.

I have to say this is a fantastic set of proposals. We'll finally have proportionality across the country with regard the number of councillors per population. The larger LEA sizes are sure to make for some interesting contests nationwide.

On my own South Dublin County Council there are currently 26 councillors but with a population of 250,000+ we're certain to reach the max of 40 councillors.

southwestkerry

At lest this is news that is not going to grind my gears.

Blissett

Cort County Council will have 55 (up from 48)
It's not very clear, but I assume this is a maximum, and that the below
4 extra councillors per lost borough council, 1 extra councillor per lost town council.
has been taken in to account already. Otherwise you could tack on a dozen more county councillors in Cork.

I think this stuff about proportionality is a nonsense. There is no question of under-representation unless there is different ratios of electors to representatives in the same authority or Government (actually 1 example of this is cork. I wonder will that be resolved, where all 3 divisions of the county council have to have same amount of cllrs)

Dublin is no better off for having 63 cllrs, and it doesnt rectify any sort of injustice as regards representation as against, for example, leitrim. Different authorities, makes no huge odds.

Interesting to note Cork City council not to be revised. Assume that means they are pessimistic about likelihood of city and county council to come to arrangement before 2014 about expanding city boundaries

jayblue

I just came across the press release today from Minister Phil.
Now it should be interesting with LEA of 6 to 10 seats, out here in Fingal this could mean 5 LEA's of 8 seats. Now larger LEA should be of benefit to the smaller parties and fringe candidates, but should we have more smaller LEA's for example out here in Fingal 8 LEAs of 5 seats each

longerpig

Surely this needs its own thread But the Boundary submissions are now in. Why are Sinn Fein the only party with a significant response to this review?

Submissions available on: boundarycommittee.ie/Generalsubmissions.htm

Porkypie

According to FgG this is good news???
Kieran Dennison, The FG candidate for West Dublin, who had more 1st preference votes than FF's new favourite son, Mc Guinness and SF's Dublin Chairman, Donnelly put together in the General Election, was shafted by Varadkar and his committee in favour of one of Enda's friends from Mayo in the bye-election. I wondered what happened to him, now I know, the messenger boy.

DSW1916

This report is due to be published today apparently – anybody able to confirm if this is the case? Any leaks of what it might contain?

hiding behind a poster

This report is due to be published today apparently – anybody able to confirm if this is the case? Any leaks of what it might contain?
Later today, not sure what time. No leaks yet.

greenmount1

Lastest is that Local Authority Boundary Report will go online at 1700 today (Thursday) but it could slip out earlier ...

Ren84

Nothing mentioned on RTE, though that's hardly surprising.

hiding behind a poster

DSW1916

In fairness I just want to know Tallaght South & Central, no interest in the rest!