Tesco On the Way Out? Now in Third Place After SuperValu & Dunnes, Down From First.

YesSireeeBob

Dunnes are really powering ahead and the Tesco trend is very much downwards.

Shop and Save is what seems to be working for Dunnes - spend 50/100/150/200 get 10/20/30/40 off your next shopping trip.

Tesco really got a bad name for them for gouging during the Celtic Tiger - it's going to be very hard for them to rebrand.
The only way for them to get on top is a price war and I don't think that will happen.

Perhaps the real story is that Aldi and Lidl have a combined total of 23%, higher than any of the major 3.

If Aldi / Lidl go up a few percent and Tesco go down a few more percent, I wonder if they will bother staying in Ireland?

From 2014 to Present:

https://i.sli.mg/ffWwEj.gif

eoghanacht

I may stock up on the coffee.

Clanrickard

How are Supervalu so popular, I've never even been into one?
Better quality goods and they are family owned. It makes for a better shopping experience. Tesco is a dreary experience by comparison.

Felixness

Every town in the country has at least one. I think it's a franchise though.
Not in my town. I tend to spread my shopping between Dunnes and Lidl but Tesco tend to have a better variety of some products, at least much better than Dunnes but I don't drive so I'm limited to shopping locally.

Disillusioned democrat

This whole area in flux - Dunne's going seriously upmarket and hoovering up market share in my neck of the woods. They've cashed in on the faux "craft" feeling.

Tesco format has lost appeal and can't compete with German discounters.

Supervalu are "meh" - they never really made the transition to multiple because there's still too much variety in their formats - sheer volume keeping them on top.

Felixness

Stock a good selection of "local" produce, good to sponsor local clubs/events, good service
I think it depends on the quality of ''local'' produce. We don't buy from our local greengrocer because the products are inferior, expensive and inferior but Lidl supports local causes as do Tesco.

Clanrickard

I think it depends on the quality of ''local'' produce. We don't buy from our local greengrocer because the products are inferior, expensive and inferior but Lidl supports local causes as do Tesco.
Lidl and Akdis oroducts are generally rubbish. People convince themselves the quality is ok because it is cheap.

O

Oscurito

They have a bad reputation. I've heard more stories about their antics than all the other supermarkets put together.

EDIT: I'm referring to Tesco here.

Fractional Reserve

They have a bad reputation. I've heard more stories about their antics than all the other supermarkets put together.

EDIT: I'm referring to Tesco here.
they would drive you nuts they are so slow at the check outs , Aldi and Lidl are super in that area bullet fast

Rural

Lidl and Akdis oroducts are generally rubbish. People convince themselves the quality is ok because it is cheap.
Get up the yard with yourself!

Only for Lidl and Aldi we'd be spending a fortune on our weekly shopping and the quality of the likes of toilet rolls, shower gel, detergents etc. is far superior to anywhere. I do buy my meat in Supervalu, because that is the best.

O

Oscurito

they would drive you nuts they are so slow at the check outs , Aldi and Lidl are super in that area bullet fast
Not in the town where I am since numbers going to Tesco started falling sharply.....!

What I'm referring to is confusing labeling. The price placed under a particular product can refer to another more expensive product several centimetres to the left or right. I've seen stuff on the "Reduced to clear" shelf that wasn't reduced. Or it had a yellow REDUCED label on it but was the same price as the original price.

They lost a lot of good will with their treatment of the old staff who'd been taken on on contracts back in the Quinnsworth days.

bonkers

Get up the yard with yourself!

Only for Lidl and Aldi we'd be spending a fortune on our weekly shopping and the quality of the likes of toilet rolls, shower gel, detergents etc. is far superior to anywhere. I do buy my meat in Supervalu, because that is the best.
I don't buy any meat in a supermarket. My local butchers meat is far superior and as cheap as any of the local supermarkets.

Se0samh

Not in the town where I am since numbers going to Tesco started falling sharply.....!

What I'm referring to is confusing labeling. The price placed under a particular product can refer to another more expensive product several centimetres to the left or right. I've seen stuff on the "Reduced to clear" shelf that wasn't reduced. Or it had a yellow REDUCED label on it but was the same price as the original price.

They lost a lot of good will with their treatment of the old staff who'd been taken on on contracts back in the Quinnsworth days.
They're infamous for their labeling shenanigans.........they also often have sale items, at increased prices.:roll:

Not in my town. I tend to spread my shopping between Dunnes and Lidl but Tesco tend to have a better variety of some products, at least much better than Dunnes but I don't drive so I'm limited to shopping locally.
so what is your town

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies