Tesco strikers social welfare docked?

Dame_Enda

Is the govt docking social welfare from strikers?

That is the claim by Tesco workers who say they were warned by management that their Family Income Supplement would not be paid.

Willie O'Dea calling for answers from Leo Varadkar. The Dept of Social Welfare is investigating.

Is this part of a Thatcherite strike-breaking agenda?

L'Chaim

I thought strikers only got strike pay from their union. I didn't realise the state paid them too

Skin the Goat

That is the claim by Tesco workers who say they were warned by management that their Family Income Supplement would not be paid.

Willie O'Dea calling for answers from Leo Varadkar. The Dept of Social Welfare is investigating.

Why would someone who idolises The Donald and worships at the altar of Rush Limbaugh have a problem with this?

automaticforthepeople

Willie is surely winding us up? When he was a junior minister for Education he docked teachers who were on a work to rule their days pay even though they were in school working. They broke the data protection act by docking by accessing payroll data to indentify who was and who wasn't an ASTI member and cut 5 days pay, if my memory serves me rightly
Willie had to return the pay when he and Woodsy of the secret deal with the religious orders had their scheme rumbled!

hammer

In correspondence with the Oireachtas Social Protection Committee, seen by the Irish Independent, the department confirmed that no Tesco employee had their payments suspended or terminated.

Wow, can Willie read ?

Mushroom

It's pretty bleeding obvious - except to morons like Willie (and, seemingly Dame_Enda) - that if ANY recipient of FIS doesn't meet the payment criteria: "FIS is a tax-free weekly payment for employees who work 38 or more hours per fortnight (any combination of hours that reaches 38 hours each fortnight is acceptable). You can combine your weekly hours with your spouse, civil partner, cohabitant's hours to meet this condition." then they run the risk of losing the payment.

As a PRSI payer, I warmly welcome the decision of the DSP to uphold the rules of the FIS! In all cases.

Trainwreck

Fúck off with you. Next you will be complaining that strikers have wages docked for time not worked:

FIS is a tax-free weekly payment for employees who:

Work 38 or more hours per fortnight (any combination of hours that reaches 38 hours each fortnight is acceptable). You can combine your weekly hours with your spouse, civil partner, cohabitant's hours to meet this condition. You cannot use time spent in self-employment (or on Community Employment, Gateway, Tús, JobBridge or the Rural Social Scheme) to meet this condition.
•Where the employment is likely to last at least 3 months
•Have one or more children who normally live with you and
•Earn less than an amount set according to your family size

Dame_Enda

There are questions here about whether the Data Protection Act was violated by someone if these allegations are true.

hammer

Michael Noonan is to blame, defiiiiinnnnnnnnniiiteeeeeeelyyyyyy as SF IRA Dubs would say.

SamsonS

Did u read the piece? DSP confirmed that no TESCO worker had their FIS "docked".
"But significantly, Ms Faughnan said officials will investigate whether other cases have occurred in which workers had payments suspended.
"The department is reviewing available records to see if it can be established whether, in the past, a FIS recipient involved in an industrial dispute has had their payment suspended and will take any necessary corrective action," she said.

"I want to know as well whether the department has established the names of companies that are suspected of making such threats to people," - that's what Willie wants to know- whether the dept keeps a lsit of names of companies that are under suspicion for threatening workers involved in an industrial dispute that they would have their payment suspended.
I can answer that for him, the answer is no, DSP does not keep such as list as it would be illegal for them to do so.

fergal1790

Did u read the piece? DSP confirmed that no TESCO worker had their FIS "docked".
"But significantly, Ms Faughnan said officials will investigate whether other cases have occurred in which workers had payments suspended.
"The department is reviewing available records to see if it can be established whether, in the past, a FIS recipient involved in an industrial dispute has had their payment suspended and will take any necessary corrective action," she said.

"I want to know as well whether the department has established the names of companies that are suspected of making such threats to people," - that's what Willie wants to know- whether the dept keeps a lsit of names of companies that are under suspicion for threatening workers involved in an industrial dispute that they would have their payment suspended.
I can answer that for him, the answer is no, DSP does not keep such as list as it would be illegal for them to do so.
Payments for those on strike should be suspended as they are no longer entitled to those payments!

What they are entitled to is a minimum subsistence payment(about €50) less any strike pay for themselves(the striking worker) and basic Supplementary welfare allowance for any spouse and dependants.

Spanner Island

Willie O'Dea... :roll:

One of the uber-pr!cks of Irish public life.

I wouldn't... you know... if he was on fire.

realistic1

It's pretty bleeding obvious - except to morons like Willie (and, seemingly Dame_Enda) - that if ANY recipient of FIS doesn't meet the payment criteria: "FIS is a tax-free weekly payment for employees who work 38 or more hours per fortnight (any combination of hours that reaches 38 hours each fortnight is acceptable). You can combine your weekly hours with your spouse, civil partner, cohabitant's hours to meet this condition." then they run the risk of losing the payment.

As a PRSI payer, I warmly welcome the decision of the DSP to uphold the rules of the FIS! In all cases.
Maybe if Employers paid decent wages, there would be no need for State subsidies. Why is the State subsidising these companies??

SamsonS

Payments for those on strike should be suspended as they are no longer entitled to those payments!

What they are entitled to is a minimum subsistence payment(about €50) less any strike pay for themselves(the striking worker) and basic Supplementary welfare allowance for any spouse and dependants.

What the TD wants to know is if DSP has
established the names of companies .......
that are suspected ..........
of making threats to employees involved in industrial action......my answer stands, the answer is no!

The issue of entitlement is all to do with the hours of work I am employed, so once I am employed 19 hours per week, or 38 per fortnight, I meet the working hours conditions. That's assessed once a year. If my income from work increases during the year my FIS is not affected until the following years assessment.

So now the issue is down to whether DSP would ever know which FIS recipient was involved in an industrial dispute. As the records are by PPSN, rather than by Employer Number, that's unlikely, unless the employer kept a record of staff that were getting FIS and contacted the department to tell them, which of course they could, and whether the dept took action based on that.

SamsonS

Maybe if Employers paid decent wages, there would be no need for State subsidies. Why is the State subsidising these companies??
You don't agree with FIS? personally think its one of our most important anti poverty tools.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies