• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Tesco to cut prices on 5,000 Groceries Order products

Maximus

Tesco has announced that it is cutting the prices of more than 5,000 grocery products in Ireland from Monday in response to the abolition of the Groceries Order.

The company said it plans to reduce the prices of 5,000 more products by early next year until all items previously controlled by the ban on below cost selling are cut.

The average reduction is of 4.7%, and Tesco is promising no other prices are being increased to compensate.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
See? To the cynics who said the removal of the Order wouldn't bring down prices...you were wrong and should admit your mistake. Hopefully rip-off Ireland will be consigned to history in the next while.

Molly

Anyone who thought food was all of a sudden going to be free the day after the order was scrapped was living with their head shoved up their… stomach.
They should move to Switzerland… I hear its made of free cheese!!
It’s a step in the right direction. Really don’t see how this can be a mark against the gov

Pidge

It's not completely good news. Why do you think Tesco do this?

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Pidge said:
To compete with rivals for market share, which in turn will force competitors to do the same or lose business.

Pidge

FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
To compete with rivals for market share, which in turn will force competitors to do the same or lose business.
That may be harmless enough, but it's those retailers who aren't rivals of Tesco that should be watched.

Universal_001

God bless your nievity boys and girls it's really a special thing :D

Note how some "bargans" actually induce people to buy things they never would have bought in the first place meaning it's not a saving at all, it's all the same game, don't be fooled guys.

Munion

Universal_001 said:
God bless your nievity boys and girls it's really a special thing :D

Note how some "bargans" actually induce people to buy things they never would have bought in the first place meaning it's not a saving at all, it's all the same game, don't be fooled guys.
That's their own bloody stupidity!

There...it's working. 4.7% is not to be sneezed at. Now the others are likely to follow. It's funny- when shops dont cut prices they are ripping us off , and when they do they are clearly up to something.

Pidge

Universal_001 said:
Not really. Look at the press release.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
That may be harmless enough, but it's those retailers who aren't rivals of Tesco that should be watched.
Explain? :?

Universal_001

Pidge said:
Universal_001 said:
Not really. Look at the press release.
The one from tesco? Guniness is good for you look at the Guniness ad that says so! :lol:

Pidge

FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
Smaller retailers (especially independent ones) may well be unable to compete on price. This could put them and small businesses in the groceries industry in trouble. It could (I stress that word) lead to an entrenched oligopoly.

Universal_001

Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
Smaller retailers (especially independent ones) may well be unable to compete on price. This could put them and small businesses in the groceries industry in trouble. It could (I stress that word) lead to an entrenched oligopoly.
There is no such thing as small retailers anymore they are all controlled by the likes of Centra and Spar.

Pidge

Universal_001 said:
There is no such thing as small retailers anymore they are all controlled by the likes of Centra and Spar.
No, they're not. That's why I specifically mentioned independent retailers.

There are plenty of non-affiliated newsagents and shops out there - I can think of at least seven within a mile of me.

newFF

Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
Pidge said:
The average corner shop hasnt been able to compete for 10 years.

They all have much larger markups to suit their custom - one of convenience - i.e you go there when you're stuck and pay accordingly.

Pidge

newFF said:
They all have much larger markups to suit their custom - one of convenience - i.e you go there when you're stuck and pay accordingly.
But of course, all I'm saying is that small businesses need to be watched, to see how they're doing as they're undercut further.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
A lot of smaller retailers are members of buying-groups which bond together to bulk buy, allowing them to compete with the supermarket-chains. I wouldn't be too worried.

owenfeehan

Molly said:
Anyone who thought food was all of a sudden going to be free the day after the order was scrapped was living with their head shoved up their… stomach.
They should move to Switzerland… I hear its made of free cheese!!
It’s a step in the right direction. Really don’t see how this can be a mark against the gov
Perhaps the fact that it took a national TV programme expose, and much consequent public outrage before they decided to change the order, something which should have been done long ago.

Gladstone

Pidge said:
Universal_001 said:
No, they're not. That's why I specifically mentioned independent retailers.

There are plenty of non-affiliated newsagents and shops out there - I can think of at least seven within a mile of me.
Tough shit? Thats compitition, if people wanna support the small local shop over the supermarket let them pay the slightly higher prices, if not, let them shut the **** up whinging about their local shop dissapering. :roll: