Tesco to have Gaeilge option on their self-service checkouts?

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
Below is a link to the Facebook campaign to try and get Tesco to have a Gaeilge option on their self-service checkouts in Ireland. A similar campaign in Wales persuaded Tesco there to bring in the Welsh option.

I believe that the costs incurred in have a Gaeilge option in Ireland would be minimal.

I have already "liked" the page on Facebook, and have rang Tesco HQ in Ireland to register my support for the campaign. Hopefully a lot of people reading this will do both also!

Tesco Self-Service Checkouts in Irish Campaign | Facebook

Goldencircle

lol don't tell yer man that was b!tching about ATMs last week

Fubsss

Meh, more things to be worrying about. Do people really use irish enough to warrant this? I'm not sure how prevalent welsh speaking is on a day-to-day in wales? Anyone know?

DJP

Website
Twitter
Bank of Ireland have a Gaeilge option on their ATM's. All that is needed is people power. If enough people like this campaigns Facebook page and ring Tesco they will bring in the service I am sure.

Dunlin3

I'd love to know the percentage of times people choose the Irish option on ATM machines. Any guesses?

Anglo Celt

Bank of Ireland have a Gaeilge option on their ATM's. A
Do the BOI release any kind of data showing how often the Irish option is used? It'd be interesting to see.

Mushroom

Is there a "please retain the status quo" option on that Facebook page, or is that seen as being unnecessarily democratic?

ocoonassa

I believe that the costs incurred in have a Gaeilge option in Ireland would be minimal.
How much? Whatever extra I'm forced to pay If native speakers are going hungry in the Gaeltacht I'm all for it.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Is there a petition to have P.ie having a Gaelic option?

S

SeamusNapoleon

Seamus uses the Gaeilge option in ATMs.

He and many people he knows.

Every little helps.

slippy wicket

More pointless tokenism. I already know which ATMs have this option and avoid them as they take extra time.
Exactly, they do your head in.

They couldnt care less about Gaeilge or about the people who speak it. If they put this on the express checkout its only for publicity and because it costs them nothing. They will probably turn the screw on whoever is the supplier and put a few prices up to make sure. Cowen will be rolled out to launch it and o'keeffe will praise them for the 'quality' employment they provide. All the time ignoring the fact that they are repatriating hundreds of millions of our scarce yoyos to good old blighty head office. what a shower of eejits we are and we really do get what we deserve.

king5494

It would be more used if they had Polish.

ocoonassa

Meh, more things to be worrying about. Do people really use irish enough to warrant this? I'm not sure how prevalent welsh speaking is on a day-to-day in wales? Anyone know?

DJP

Website
Twitter
Even if only 1% of people used the service it would be significant enough to merit having the service. I would say the potential in the short to medium term would be to have upto 10% of people using it but I would say that 1%-3% of people actually would in the short term. If the 20 Year Strategy for the Irish Language is good, in the short-term, I would expect that to have a positive complimentary affect and the number of people using them to go up.

Fubsss

Even if only 1% of people used the service it would be significant enough to merit having the service. I would say the potential in the short to medium term would be to have upto 10% of people using it but I would say that 1%-3% of people actually would in the short term. If the 20 Year Strategy for the Irish Language is good, in the short-term, I would expect that to have a positive complimentary affect and the number of people using them to go up.
10% of the irish population using the gaeilge option on self service check outs? You're livin in cloud cukoo land if you think that. I'd say 5% would be a MAJOR stretch.

Pointless and annoying.

Panopticon

I'd love to know the percentage of times people choose the Irish option on ATM machines. Any guesses?
60% drunk people at 1am fumbling for the button that says "English"
35% Irish nationalists
5% confused tourists

I always go to Ulster Bank ATMs because they don't patronise me/take up 5 seconds of my valuable time with the option that goes unused.

The problem is, this Irish nationalism is the kind of guff that keeps people's political consciousness low and keeps them voting for FF and other jokes.

New Threads

Most Replies