• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

TG4 becomes second most-watched Irish station with their sports coverage

Evil Eco-Fascist

This relates to early last month. Sports with Irish-language commentary seems not to put too many people off from watching the station, it seems.

Approximately one in five of those viewing TV in Ireland during the matches on Saturday and Sunday were watching TG4. TG4 was the second most popular channel in Ireland on Saturday night, beaten narrowly into second place by RTÉ One, while TG4 was the top Irish channel by a distance on Sunday afternoon, securing a viewing share twice the size of its nearest rivals.
Ladies Football and Rugby attract huge TG4 audiences - Hoganstand.com

Angler

It's the Irish channel that I watch the most ,I like the offbeat documentaries and the "free" sport coverage . All in all , not a bad little channel .

Seanie Lemass

GAA should give them everything. RTE think GAA starts in JUne and ends in Spetember.

Tin Foil Hat

It's just a shame they won't broadcast those sports in a language most of us can understand.
I always watch rugby on Irish tv, where possible. Except when it's on TG4 - I'll always look for another option if it's there.

TheCitizen

It's just a shame they won't broadcast those sports in a language most of us can understand.
I always watch rugby on Irish tv, where possible. Except when it's on TG4 - I'll always look for another option if it's there.
Why would the language be such an issue? I often used to watch rugby games on S4C (Welsh commentary) or TV5 (French commentary) and the language barrier never detracted from the experience. Switch over during the analysis by all means but not watching the games themselves seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face...

cytex

Funnily enough when i was in the gaeltacht last summer at oideasgael i met a couple of people doing the course up there for just this reason they wanted to understand the commentary and since the reason of the station is to promote the language this seems to be doing a good job. Maybe you should go to a few classes and pick up the language so they do broadcast in a language you understand.

Great job Tg4 it is a pity you dont get more of the license money . Tg4 is simply the best station in ireland by a long shot. I even like how a few companys have dubbed their adds into Irish :) .

Cato

It's more of a shame Irish people can't be arsed learning the language.
Well, to an extent, yes, but many of us have other priorities.

I watch rugby on TG4 all the time and appreciate the coverage. It's a far better channel than RTÉ.

Seanie Lemass

Anyone who went to school here who is not a cretin would pick up sports commentary pretty quickly!

borntorum

Well done TG4. Let's spare a thought right now for poor old Neil Francis, who had this to say last year:

I was in the Aviva on Friday night but had to watch the recorded match on TG4. I just think it is ridiculous that a match of such importance is broadcast live only in Irish. I have no idea what the commentators or the analysts are saying and I have no idea whether they are any good or not and I suspect 99.5 per cent of the people who had to watch the match on that channel didn't either. If it was a case of TG4 having the money to pay for the rights, well why not sell them to to Al Jazeera who would have been able to come up with far more money for the Celtic League-Pro12 coffers -- at least there would be more people in Ireland who would understand what was being said in Arabic.
Poor Neil. Does he even get work with Setanta anymore?

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

Proper good history shows. Not ridiculous things like how we were better off under the crown to try to shock people into watching it.

Dan_Murphy

I'm not a supporter of the Irish language by any means, but its good to see that there is some talent there, a decent channel considering the shoe-string budget they have. :)

Last edited:

USER1234

god i don't think iv watched more than 5 minutes of TG4 in total since it came on air!!!

Cato

Anyone who went to school here who is not a cretin would pick up sports commentary pretty quickly!
I don't believe myself to be a 'cretin', but I went to school here but can barely understand a word of the commentary. I simply had no interest in Irish in school and was hostile to it. Foolish when I look back at it.

I can get the gist of the French commentary when using channels from France. For some reason that I do not recall, I was interested in it.

seanmacc

The commentary does put a good few people off (generally the rugby fraternity in my experience). And I'd like to think of myself as someone with a good command of the Irish language but it could be worth their while doing a couple of minutes before a game in an excert to go through some vocab and phrases a commentator may use before a game. Sometimes some phrases used in the anaylisis and commentary can be lost on me.

Colin M

GAA should give them everything. RTE think GAA starts in JUne and ends in Spetember.
Look at the reports on Sunday of any National League match. Rows and rows of empty seats. Blame the general public, rather than RTE on this.

Cornerman

I don't believe myself to be a 'cretin', but I went to school here but can barely understand a word of the commentary. I simply had no interest in Irish in school and was hostile to it. Foolish when I look back at it.

I can get the gist of the French commentary when using channels from France. For some reason that I do not recall, I was interested in it.
I didn't go to school here - I have a cockney-ish accent, but I have managed to learn enough Irish to follow a sports commentary, so long as no one from Connemara is involved. Irish really isn't difficult - there's only 12 irregular verbs.

Yes twelve!!

Contrast that with Spanish - one of the easier languages to learn where are well in excess of two thousand and these follow over 70 different patterns of irregularity!

Having said that... I wouldn't waste time watching sport on TV, even rugby!