• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

TG4 last night, lettermacward civil war killings.

cricket

Brilliant docudrama last night. Covered civil war killing of guy who joined free state army after war of independence. Shot dead in barracks in Creeslough, free state ordered execution of 4 anti treatyites who were not involved in that killing as they were in custody at the time. Raw still years later, but very well done. Apologies if spellings of place names are not correct.

edwin

Brilliant docudrama last night. Covered civil war killing of guy who joined free state army after war of independence. Shot dead in barracks in Creeslough, free state ordered execution of 4 anti treatyites who were not involved in that killing as they were in custody at the time. Raw still years later, but very well done. Apologies if spellings of place names are not correct.
It's actually Leitir Mac An Bhaird. Locals would generally just refer to it as Leitir even though Irish isn't that strong there anymore.

Last edited:

statsman

It's actually Leitir Mac An Bhaird. Locals would generally just refer to it as Leitir even though Irish isn't that strong there anymore.
It's Lettermacaward in English and Leitir Mac An Bhaird in Irish. Neither is more 'actual' than the other, and it is linguistic snobbery to pretend that this is not so.

Little_Korean

Big question is: did the reprisal killings by the FS shorten the war? Going by Liam Deasy's memoirs of the CW, seemed that it did, but at same time it left a legacy of bitterness between former comrades.

BrightDay

Jacobite

TG4 make some great documentaries, it's a pity the other local stations couldnt do better with the resources they have

edwin

It's Lettermacaward in English and Leitir Mac An Bhaird in Irish. Neither is more 'actual' than the other, and it is linguistic snobbery to pretend that this is not so.
Incorrect. Try serving a legal notice to someone in Lettermacaward and see what happens. The law is quite clear that only Irish place names apply in the Gaeltacht. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant.

statsman

Incorrect. Try serving a legal notice to someone in Lettermacaward and see what happens. The law is quite clear that only Irish place names apply in the Gaeltacht. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant.
But this is not a court of law; we are engaged in interpersonal discourse of a kind, and I reserve the right to do so in my native tongue.

edwin

Its actually Leitir Mhic an Bhaird in Gaeilge - check logainm.ie - Bunachar Logainmneacha na hÉireann - Placenames Database of Ireland. But as statsman says Lettermacaward is just as actual as Leitir Mhic an Bhaird.

I agree that the documentary was brilliant - lovely narration I thought.
Point taken on correct Irish spelling. People with gaeltacht Irish often have poor grammar unfortunately.

You are however incorrect on the English version. Under the law that place does not exist so is no more 'actual' than Hades.

edwin

But this is not a court of law; we are engaged in interpersonal discourse of a kind, and I reserve the right to do so in my native tongue.
You made an assertion about a place name which was inaccurate but by all means continue to artificially translate if you must.

statsman

You made an assertion about a place name which was inaccurate but by all means continue to artificially translate if you must.
How do you say the name of the French capital city? How does a Spaniard say the name of the British one? I don't speak Irish unless I have to, and here I don't have to.

MacCoise2

Big question is: did the reprisal killings by the FS shorten the war? Going by Liam Deasy's memoirs of the CW, seemed that it did, but at same time it left a legacy of bitterness between former comrades.
Is the big question not : were these killings legal or jusitified in any way>?

MacCoise2

How do you say the name of the French capital city? How does a Spaniard say the name of the British one? I don't speak Irish unless I have to, and here I don't have to.

You really are a pain in the hole. it's name is Leitir Mac an Bhaird, thats its only name. Its anglicised as Lettermacaward but thats not its name its an anglicisation of its name

edwin

Most reasonable people wouldn't claim their translation is as 'actual' as the original. I really don't give a fig what you call it but your inability to accept a legitimate correction reflects poorly on you. Is it really that difficult to acknowledge the sensitivities in the gaeltacht regarding place names? FYI, the local version of the name in conversation is just Leitir.

Little_Korean

Is the big question not : were these killings legal or jusitified in any way>?
No but you could say the same about a lot of goings-on in Ireland at that time.

Reprisals killings, in the WoI and CW, were done by all sides on the basis of 'ends justify the means.' My question is not whether the means were justified but did the means in question influence the end?

Cato

Most reasonable people wouldn't claim their translation is as 'actual' as the original. I really don't give a fig what you call it but your inability to accept a legitimate correction reflects poorly on you. Is it really that difficult to acknowledge the sensitivities in the gaeltacht regarding place names? FYI, the local version of the name in conversation is just Leitir.
That same law renders the legal 'actual' name of Claregalway as Baile Chláir na Gaillimhe, being as it is a Gaeltacht. You would however, be searching long and hard to find anyone living in that village that habitually uses the Irish, legal version of them name.

edwin

That same law renders the legal 'actual' name of Claregalway as Baile Chláir na Gaillimhe, being as it is a Gaeltacht. You would however, be searching long and hard to find anyone living in that village that habitually uses the Irish, legal version of them name.
Correct in that example. The lack of reform of gaeltacht boundaries is a big problem. It should not however be used to discard the wishes of people in genuine gaeltacht areas to have their naming rights respected.

statsman

You really are a pain in the hole. it's name is Leitir Mac an Bhaird, thats its only name. Its anglicised as Lettermacaward but thats not its name its an anglicisation of its name
Ah, the reasoned debating style of the Irish language police; it's always a joy to behold.

edwin

Ah, the reasoned debating style of the Irish language police; it's always a joy to behold.
As opposed to the style of a troll/language hater (delete as appropriate) exhibited by yourself.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies