Thank you Bertie Ahern...

Watching the announcement on the economy today, debt of 33% GDP, from Rome (where I weirdly walked past government effluence valve Sam Smyth a couple of days ago), I have been struck by the sheer incredulity in the commentary by American, British, and European media at the scale of the debt that future generations, including people not yet born, will be paying off. When in Ireland it is difficult to get proper perspective on the scale of what we are now stuck with (not that it is much easier from abroad), and even now the huge screw-up of our country is almost beyond proper comprehension. But, when viewing all this via the sucking teeth noises of economic commentators from elsewhere, the scale somehow becomes clearer from abroad, and my feelings range between raging anger and diffident impotence at what has been done to Ireland on the watch of Bertie Ahern.

I felt that the commentary today largely forgot Bertie Ahern's vital contribution to our utter destruction economically and reputationally, putting the prime blame with the banks rather than with the government that tore up the banks' rule book. So I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Bertie Ahern, the most disastrous Taoiseach in Irish history, for not giving a toss about anything other than short-term self-interest, and letting the spivs and gamblers fill their boots without any rulebook. And thank you for making sure that while your constituents sink because of unemployment, pay cuts, service cuts, and crippling tax burdens, you live off the proceeds of speeches to unsuspecting idiots in third world countries telling them about your stewardship of our economic 'miracle', while neglecting to mention our current abyss of near-bankruptcy and imminent mass-emigration. So long as you're okay yourself...

Thanks for presiding over Ireland's ruin, Mr. Ahern. Anyone else wish to add to my slow hand-clap?...

DCon

l l l l l l light t t t touch re re re regulation

Sure everyone has a job and I have loads of dosh..

slippy wicket

flavirostris

I heard a BBC announcer this morning repeat how Ireland's Deficit was about 1/3 of GDP and comparatively "three times the size of the UK's".
It is definitely being looked on with incredulity from abroad.

flavirostris

Re. Ahern, this post by anewbeginning earlier, is I believe an excellent summation of the legacy of that piece of excrement

Yup, it seems in Ireland, actual competence is irrelevant.

What's more important is that you can really work a studio, you have the right colour hair, the right colour suit and tie, and so on and so forth, superficial traits like that. If you bankrupt the nation and put 450,000 people on the dole, that's not important. What's important is superficially you look the part.

Let me repeat, Bertie Ahern "connected" brilliantly with the electorate. While he was doing that in public, in private he was facilitating the bankrupting of the Irish people and laying the foundations for high unemployment.
People repeatedly chose superficiality over substance with Ahern and we're reaping the consequences now

CookieMonster

I am waiting for the day that we hear some harm has come to Ahern. He must never go out in public any more, surely it's not safe for him.

d7bohs

I am waiting for the day that we hear some harm has come to Ahern. He must never go out in public any more, surely it's not safe for him.
He poked his nose in at an event in Phibsboro' recently and was audibly slagged - he retreated quite quickly

jpc

Re. Ahern, this post by anewbeginning earlier, is I believe an excellent summation of the legacy of that piece of excrement

People repeatedly chose superficiality over substance with Ahern and we're reaping the consequences now
The consequences of politics of the trough
The truest statement I have heard on the legacy of the Ahern years.

McDave

Ahern is a truly vile man, devoid of morality and perspective. A product of his narrow-minded, self-seeking parochial party. And, let's not forget, the monumental complacency and shallowness of an electorate which returned him three times and consistently gave him personal approval ratings in the 60s.

The payback of 10 years of inflationary growth will be 10 lost years of stagnation. Ahern's was a disastrous regime which we are going to pay for in spades.

Samell

Clap.................................Clap...............................Clap................................Clap...................Clap.........................Clap

Every time I clap my hands someone else wants to smack Bertie and Biffo right in the mouth.

Tigris Celtica

Ahern is a truly vile man, devoid of morality and perspective. A product of his narrow-minded, self-seeking parochial party. And, let's not forget, the monumental complacency and shallowness of an electorate which returned him three times and consistently gave him personal approval ratings in the 60s.

The payback of 10 years of inflationary growth will be 10 lost years of stagnation. Ahern's was a disastrous regime which we are going to pay for in spades.

+1 Ahern is a truly vile slimeball. Shame on the morons who voted for him, or for his precursor Haughey.

KATHY

We sure are.....the Bertie factor was spun to such an extent that the gob sh1te actually believed it himself and probably still does. Remember it was Cowen, our Minister for Finance at the time, who lead the posse, rallying the troops behind their great leader. Every time anyone dared to suggest the shine was coming of this great messiah, we either had Bertie telling them to go and commit suicide or Cowen insisting that the opposition were neither 'qualified or able' to make such an assertion! Unfortunately if recent polls are anything to go by it doesnt seem like we have yet learned our lesson.

He3

Watching the announcement on the economy today, debt of 33% GDP, from Rome (where I weirdly walked past government effluence valve Sam Smyth a couple of days ago), I have been struck by the sheer incredulity in the commentary by American, British, and European media at the scale of the debt that future generations, including people not yet born, will be paying off. When in Ireland it is difficult to get proper perspective on the scale of what we are now stuck with (not that it is much easier from abroad), and even now the huge screw-up of our country is almost beyond proper comprehension. But, when viewing all this via the sucking teeth noises of economic commentators from elsewhere, the scale somehow becomes clearer from abroad, and my feelings range between raging anger and diffident impotence at what has been done to Ireland on the watch of Bertie Ahern.

I felt that the commentary today largely forgot Bertie Ahern's vital contribution to our utter destruction economically and reputationally, putting the prime blame with the banks rather than with the government that tore up the banks' rule book. So I just wanted to say a huge thank you to Bertie Ahern, the most disastrous Taoiseach in Irish history, for not giving a toss about anything other than short-term self-interest, and letting the spivs and gamblers fill their boots without any rulebook. And thank you for making sure that while your constituents sink because of unemployment, pay cuts, service cuts, and crippling tax burdens, you live off the proceeds of speeches to unsuspecting idiots in third world countries telling them about your stewardship of our economic 'miracle', while neglecting to mention our current abyss of near-bankruptcy and imminent mass-emigration. So long as you're okay yourself...

Thanks for presiding over Ireland's ruin, Mr. Ahern. Anyone else wish to add to my slow hand-clap?...

Check out the flea market at Porta Portese. Fun and better class of person.

MPB

Do not worry, he is used to sneaking around, he did it all the way through his first marriage.

Fr. Hank Tree

Oh FFS.

The crisis since Bertie Ahern left office has taken on a life of its own. Blaming him for what happened today is ridiculous. Lenihan has finished what Ahern started when he could have stopped it. And Cowen has been there all along facilitating it. This thread is just a distraction from that, going after a yesterday's man and taking heat off of the messers of today.

A lot of what has happned since Ahern left office could have been averted.

Last edited:

Mister men

I'm not a violent person but if i ever see this chump out in public it would push me over the edge.

flavirostris

We sure are.....the Bertie factor was spun to such an extent that the
gob sh1te actually believed it himself and probably still does. Remember it was Cowen, our Minister for Finance at the time, who lead the posse, rallying the troops behind their great leader. Every time anyone dared to suggest the shine was coming of this great messiah, we either had Bertie telling them to go and commit suicide or Cowen insisting that the opposition were neither 'qualified or able' to make such an assertion! Unfortunately if recent polls are anything to go by it doesnt seem like we have yet learned our lesson.
The day he scraped in in 1997 with the help of the odious PDs and a couple of gombeen redneck TDs was probably the biggest misfortune to ever befall the republic.

PUFF DADDY

I detest him and always have, during the boom etc, never trust him and that F IN grin and stutter, ROLL ON CASHEL !!!!!

MAHON BETTER COME OUT WITH THE TRUTH

New Threads

Most Replies