• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Thank you FG: Ireland's Transparency ranking falls 11 places in 2 years

borntorum

So much for the new politics we were promised. Ireland is now rated as more corrupt than Uruguay and the Bahamas by Transparency International.

And guess what the cause is?

The Moriarty and Mahon tribunals showed how corruption and payments to politicians existed at Government level, while the lack of holding people to account was having an effect on how the country was perceived, the group said.
“There appears to have been very little action taken on foot of the publication of the final Moriarty tribunal report, while the Taoiseach’s decision to make public appearances with Denis O’Brien after the publication of the report will have done our international reputation no favours,” said Mr Devitt.
But, but, but...I thought with FF gone the days of corruption in politics were over?

Ireland corruption ranking slips - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012

G

Gimpanzee

So much for the new politics we were promised. Ireland is now rated as more corrupt than Uruguay and the Bahamas by Transparency International.

And guess what the cause is?

But, but, but...I thought with FF gone the days of corruption in politics were over?

Ireland corruption ranking slips - The Irish Times - Wed, Dec 05, 2012
So what you're trying to say in a very round about way, is that if FF governments hadn't been riddled with corruption, then the current government wouldn't have made such a bad job of cleaning up after them?

Last edited:

pinemartin

So what you're trying to say in a very round about way, is that if FF governments hadn't been riddled with corruption, then the current government wouldn't have made such a bad job of cleaning up after them?
I think what we is trying to say is that under FG/ Labour Irelands transparency rating has fallen by 11 places in comparison to where it was under FF.

G

Gimpanzee

I think what we is trying to say is that under FG/ Labour Irelands transparency rating has fallen by 11 places in comparison to where it was under FF.
Yes, I see what you mean.....

"The Moriarty and Mahon tribunals showed how corruption and payments to politicians existed at Government level, while the lack of holding people to account was having an effect on how the country was perceived, the group said."

tigerben

New politics in Ireland just means changing seats, we've seen this happen, Transparency is a opposition word along with stroke politics. Sensitive information and legal advice are the the government wording. Same thing depending on what seat your in!

emulator

TI seem to be be a little delayed in their evaluation. They dropped our rating because of the tribunals - which were investigating corruption from the 90's. If IT continue to be 15-20 years behind, we can expect our rating to fall to rock bottom around 2028 - which will be 20 years after the banking crisis.
:roll:

When did the tribunal report come out ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Moriarity was what government?

Oppenheimer

Any index that is used by ratings agencies has to be seen as insidious and sinister - these agencies got away literally with the murder of economies during the financial crisis and still exist in unchanged form with no mechanism of redress available.

That said, any right thinking individual should have serious objections to the thread title which is another clear example of the slimey mangling of events and timelines that should send voters away from ever voting for that anachronism of a party, FF.

luvmycountry

Ireland corrupt??? Nooooooo

I mean.. look at all the politicians and bankers and developer who were arrested and put on trial for…

Oh wait…..

Con Gallagher

Ireland corrupt??? Nooooooo

I mean.. look at all the politicians and bankers and developer who were arrested and put on trial for…

Oh wait…..
...and the DPP has had her budget CUT by over 10% despite an increase in the number of prosecutions while Garda numbers may fall below 13,000.

G

Gimpanzee

Moriarity was what government?
Former Taoiseach and FF legend, Charles J Haughey and some other guy who was part of the most recent FF government. FG wouldn't have him, I hear -they kicked him out about 10 years ago because they figured he was corrupt. FF were delighted to have him on board.

borntorum

Former Taoiseach and FF legend, Charles J Haughey and some other guy who was part of the most recent FF government. FG wouldn't have him, I hear -they kicked him out about 10 years ago. FF were delighted to have him on board.
Ha ha ha.

Weak, dude, weak.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Former Taoiseach and FF legend, Charles J Haughey and some other guy who was part of the most recent FF government. FG wouldn't have him, I hear -they kicked him out about 10 years ago. FF were delighted to have him on board.
At the time though he was a FG minister, and that provides the main backdrop to the Moriarity report, does it not?